LEO stop in 1st season of ''24'', remember?

This is a discussion on LEO stop in 1st season of ''24'', remember? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm behind the times, I know. I'd never seen an episode of ''24'' until this week when I started watching the first season on DVD. ...

Thread: LEO stop in 1st season of ''24'', remember?

I'm behind the times, I know. I'd never seen an episode of ''24'' until this week when I started watching the first season on DVD. I'm about half-way through it. (So, no one tell me anything about later episodes!!! LOL)

Those of you who have seen Season One, and remember it, (SPOILER ALERT)...

Do you remember the early scene (probably episode 3-4) where Bauer's wife and "Alan York" are stopped at night by the motorcycle cop for speeding? I almost FLIPPED OUT when the guy exited the car the first time and approached the officer... I started yelling at my screen, "STUPID, don't get out of the car!!" The officer told York to get back in the car, remember, and after a few minutes of interrogation, the officer goes back to the motorcycle, at which point York gets out of the car AGAIN and approaches the officer.

Do you remember the scene? Watching this made me think back on my CHL training and everything I've learned from these boards, people I've talked with, LEO's, etc., and about how incredibly stupid and dangerous this guy's actions were. I'm somewhat surprised the cop did not pull his weapon at the second time York exited the car.

Anyway, thought it might make for some good discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by rmkwebdesign
    Do you remember the early scene (probably episode 3-4) where Bauer's wife and "Alan York" are stopped at night by the motorcycle cop for speeding? I almost FLIPPED OUT when the guy exited the car the first time and approached the officer... I started yelling at my screen, "STUPID, don't get out of the car!!" The officer told York to get back in the car, remember, and after a few minutes of interrogation, the officer goes back to the motorcycle, at which point York gets out of the car AGAIN and approaches the officer.

Hollywood...Where reality often takes a back seat so the character can look cool. I think most in here know that this dude would be a certifiable idiot, or ventilated by the Police Officer, had he gotten out of the car @ a traffic stop.

Other than the Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc., I don't watch "24", or much other TV for that very reason.

24 is one of the few shows I watch on a regular basis. I don't remember this scene but yes it would be a stupid move, especially at night. A real LEO would have had his gun drawn I am sure.

That is minor though. What really gets me about the show is how his daughter, and others, will do the exact opposite of what Jack tells them to do. Sometimes I just want to smack that girl. When daddy, who is head of an anti-terrorist government agency, tells you to get out of town, DO IT!!!!! Don't ask dumb questions and don't take side trips to save someone you don't even know. She is great to look at but she spends all her time doing the exact opposite of what Jack tells her to do. Drives me crazy.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    She is great to look at but she spends all her time doing the exact opposite of what Jack tells her to do. Drives me crazy.
    Isn't that the one time Hollywood actually is realistic?

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Acutally there is a reason that he does not want the officer to let them go, but if I tell you that, it will ruin the rest of the season!
    Curry

Hahaha!

I was *so* proud of my wife after we got home from her first trip to the range. She got my attention, and then paused thoughtfully, and said, "Hollywood is so full of &#!@. There's no way you can hold a gun in each hand and hit a target while running."

I was so proud of her. Did I mention that?

Later I'll show her some vids of the gun mfg reps at IDPA and/or USPSA events so she can know that *some* people can do it with one pistol at least, but Tom Freaking Cruise sure can't!

Some people just don't know

I guess some people just don't know how to act.
    Here is an example:

When I was growing up in the UK, I may have had the occasional traffic stop. I would think nothing of getting out of the car an approaching the officers car. It was a) a show of respect to make the walk over to him rather than making him walk to me, and b) it was clear that I wasn't going to 'run for it'.

Doing that meant that I was luck enough never to get a ticket. Most of my friends at the time followed the same practice. I think things are achanging though!

I also remember reading at the time in the paper about a British tourist doing the same thing over here. The tourist was shot dead. I really don't recall how it got to that stage, whether he didn't understand the warnings, whether the cop was inexperienced, I don't know. But the simple fact was that he didn't know better and thought he was doing the right thing. What he thought was a compliant unthreatening act clearly was not.

One of those things where EVERYONE needs to know how to act, especially when CCW. Almost should be required learning in schools.

Quote Originally Posted by VTJames
    Hahaha!

Later I'll show her some vids of the gun mfg reps at IDPA and/or USPSA events so she can know that *some* people can do it with one pistol at least, but Tom Freaking Cruise sure can't!

i dont disagree with you about hollywood being full of it, and i'm not a big fan of tom cruise either, but have you seen the movie Collateral, with tom cruise and jamie fox? i was watching the special features the other day and it talked about the training he did for all of the shooting and gun handling scenes. all of the scenes in the movie of him shooting, he actually trained and did all of those scenes on a range using a real firearm, shooting real bullets. they wanted himt o look as real as possible doing those shots. anyway, not real important but i was surprised they would put that much effort in it.

Assistant Administrator
    Time to again bring out the GIF of that Collateral shoot scene -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links