Defensive Carry banner

Dinner, and a show

4K views 48 replies 45 participants last post by  searcher 45 
#1 ·
Work has been a royal bear the past couple weeks, and the wifester is out of town on a contract job, so I decided to grab an early dinner at the local chain steakhouse.

Owing to the early hour, there were only a handful of customers in the restaurant. Unfortunately, one of them was a truly obnoxious horse's rear end. I was seated toward the end of a row of tables, kind of in a corner. The problem child was seated several tables away, and was seated facing away from me. He was dining with another adult male, and both were in their late 20s or perhaps early 30s.

I was happily reading a magazine and awaiting my dinner when a loud crash got my attention, along with a loudly voiced complaint about a food item being overcooked. The crash was the plate hitting the floor. The horse posterior began berating the waitress (a petite young lady about 5'3 and 100 pounds) using language I can't repeat here. (I mentally longed for the days when such behavior toward a lady was considered lawful justification for a good thrashing...)

The manager came out, and the disturbance continued. After a few more minutes of profanity laced ranting, the manager had had her fill, and asked the guy to leave. (all this time, his dining companion was sitting there, trying to get him to "chill" with a completely mortified look on his face). The guy responded to her request by telling here to go do something anatomically impossible with herself. He stated that he would remain as long as he wished and she should get someone from the staff "who isn't a blankety-blanking blank blank" to bring him a properly cooked meal.

The manager told the waitress to go call the police, at which point the charming fellow threatened bodily harm if anyone called the "blanking law on me".

Naturally, I called the law. Not the blanking law. I didn't see this as a vice problem. So I just called the regular law. Sadly, the guy didn't overhear my conversation. I also moved to the edge of my seat and made sure my t-shirt was loose over the right side. I gave the dispatcher the quick rundown, and he asked if there were weapons involved. I said "not actively, but it is a steak house and there are sharp knives on the tables...". The dispatcher said they were on the line with another caller from the restaurant, and that units were enroute. He offered to stay on the line to keep me company, but I felt safe enough to hang up. The guy was still sitting in his seat, occasionally yelling obscenities and throwing things.

The manager - probably unwisely - returned to the table and asked him to stop throwing things, at which point he began to berate her again and threatened to beat her. Not in those words, of course. He also speculated about the possibility of cutting and / or raping her. He started to slide to the edge of the booth, and she backed up a bit. I pulled out my off-hand implement (similar to a kubaton) under the table, and contemplated what I would do if he got physical. I'm not at all interested in getting in a fight with some idiot in a restaurant, but I'm also not able to sit back and watch a grown man beat on a woman, either.

After another few moments, punctuated with highly offensive, obscene comments by the idiot, the first Sheriff's unit arrived. The fellow greeted the deputy with a loud "What the <blank> do you want, pig?".

Wrong answer.

The deputy quickly progressed through the continuum of force, asking and then ordering the guy to stand up. After being met with a string of profane verbal resistance and a lack of compliance, the deputy grabbed the guy's arm, applied a hold and yanked him out of the booth like he was starting a giant lawnmower. The guy ends up taste-testing the carpet with a knee on the back of his neck while the cuffs go on, and then gets dragged out of the establishment to the applause of a few other diners and staff.

After the show was completed, I ended up giving a statement to the deputy, which began with my presenting both my ID and CWFL and advising him I was armed (not required in Florida, but IMHO a good idea). His response: "Good."

They arrested the guy for assault, resisting arrest without violence and trespassing. Turns out, he's also got outstanding warrants for aggravated battery and theft.

I'm glad I didn't have to do more than phone and watch. Dinner turned out to be good, and the show was interesting.....

See less See more
#3 ·
Ten years in the restaurant business, before I got smart, was enough for me to learn that these guys are everywhere. They can be grungy twenty-somethings or Boomer attorneys. They all have one thing in common. They all want attention. The more the manager tried to get him to leave the more he tried to "punish" the offending staff.

After the initial confrontation, the manager should have just backed off and called the cops. No other staff should have approached him.

Good on you for staying ready to lend assistance and I'm glad you didn't have to.

#5 ·
Seems there is always 1 horses you know what in a crowd.

After his threat to anyone calling the police, I think I might have been a little loud on the phone :image035: . Glad things ended peaceably for you and the rest of the patrons.

#45 ·
Seems there is always 1 horses you know what in a crowd.

After his threat to anyone calling the police, I think I might have been a little loud on the phone :image035: . Glad things ended peaceably for you and the rest of the patrons.
Why? are you trying to draw unnecessary attention to yourself?

#7 ·
Wow! it sounds like that cat was just dumb enough to hurt someone. Good call prepping for his trip downtown. :hand10:

Having warrants out on ya and causing a public disturbance is about as dumb as they come.

IMO, that called for a desert. :yup:

#9 ·
I just gotta get out more. Haven't seen a good show in a long time.

#17 ·
It seems there is always someone who just has to make a horse’s posterior of themselves when being courteous can be so much easier, as an example we had our car club meeting at a local Mexican restaurant I ordered unsweet tea but was twice served sweet tea. The third time I ordered I specified unsweet no sugar, got the tea I wanted and no drama.

#19 · (Edited)
It is amazing how rude and obnoxious people can quickly get. That situation could have easily turned into an attempted mass shooting, one just never knows.
You did the right thing, but this dirtbag will live on to make more people miserable until 'life' really catches up with him...hopefully, soon.:hand1:

#21 ·
Sounds like you did a good job...Thanks for sharing.

#22 ·
(I mentally longed for the days when such behavior toward a lady was considered lawful justification for a good thrashing...)
agreed
the charming fellow threatened bodily harm if anyone called the "blanking law on me".

Naturally, I called the law. Not the blanking law. I didn't see this as a vice problem. So I just called the regular law.
now that's funny
he began to berate her again and threatened to beat her. Not in those words, of course. He also speculated about the possibility of cutting and / or raping her.
Wow. Good job keeping your cool. It's hard in cases like that.

#23 ·
Haha, sounds like an interesting night. I've only ever seen one customer like that really, but I happened to come in at the tail end of it when the male manager yelled at them to get out and never come back. They got out.

Good job on prepping to defend the nice lady with less-than-lethal force, I'd have done the same. Then again, I don't know how well I'd have restrained myself when he threatened her. I'd have probably opened my mouth at that point. Now I'm only 22 so I don't remember most members "good ol days" :wink: but I was definitely raised to have a lot more respect for people than that. And you'd never catch me speaking to a woman in that manner. People these days never cease to amaze me with just how horrible they can act.

#25 · (Edited)
Note to self: Tell someone to do something anatomically impossible to themselves and ROFL while their eyes roll back into their head trying to decipher that.

OP you did an excellent job of being a proactive witness, it would be hard to sit there and listen to a grown man threaten a woman like that but you held your cool.

#27 ·
i would have to say probably the best hadled scenario i have ever read on a forum...with a comedy twist to keep it even more interesting and amusing...well done sir...

oh for the days when you could just walk on up, knock him out and nobody would say a thing except "thank you"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.