Wierd situation in Grand Rapids tonight

This is a discussion on Wierd situation in Grand Rapids tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An overt threat to beat your ass is called an aggravated assault in most states,if you feel that the individual is capable of carrying out ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wierd situation in Grand Rapids tonight

An overt threat to beat your ass is called an aggravated assault in most states,if you feel that the individual is capable of carrying out the threat,as far as instigating the incident in most states once you are confronted and or threatened,and you apologise and try to get away from the confrontation,if the other guy then continues to chase he is now the aggressor.I personally would have called 911 as soon as he threatened me.Just the other day some roadrager killed a guy by hitting him and then slamming his head on the ground
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CZAD6 View Post
    Thanks again. When I did tell him to slow down I was using a normal tone. I wouldn't call it close to yelling at the guy. Anyway, if someone were to approach me like that in the future I will probably ask him to back off. If he fails, I will get my wife to call 911. Then stand with my strong side away. If I remember correctly, I was pretty square to him, maybe my right hip a touch back. I will continue to learn and train for situations like these.

To answer the question about drawing if he comes at me with fists? Me, probably not. My gun is last line of defense against a weapon. I don't feel my life would have been in danger and therefore not justified to draw.
    Doesn't matter what tone you used you over stepped your bounds you started that conflict W/ your mouth. You don't get to do that when you're carrying a gun

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I think you did well considering what went down. We say things sometimes out of impulse and it comes out to fast, things like that that we just don't think through... Thats fine lesson learned, try not to make comments the best you can to avoid things like that. I give you a 9 out of 10
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Ron
    Well, sorry but I don't think that you did so good. When you start to carry a gun, IMO, you need to leave your ego back at your front door as you leave your house, and don't do or say things that are likely to provoke a confrontation, because the potential consequences of a confrontation while carrying are simply too great to be taking those kinds of risks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Be a good witness...

I think you did good, the comment about speeding could have been the catalyst for his anger , but anyone else in your party could have said the same thing. It's not like you yelled at him you didn't flag him down, you made a truthful comment. you didn't call him a SOB.
    IMO It's always good to stay far away from trouble but you made a comment and it is, what it is.
    You need to decide for yourself how you handle similar situations in the future.

Let talk about speeder boy, The fact is continued to escalate the situation by:
    1. Turning around
    2. Getting out of his car
    3. Threatening bodily harm ( This is an assult BTW) "I will beat your f'ing a-- right here,...." & when he told you he would bounce your f'ing head of the concrete.

That is clearly bullsh*t.
    IMO

A few things here in retrospect (arm chair Quarterback)

1. Proximity-
    You should not have let him get that close, it would have taken no time for him to lunge and be all over you ,ESPECIALLY since he was already threatening bodily harm. You did good by backing up but next time keep more of a distance.

2. Carry pepper spray.
    I would have hosed his hostile a$$ down the minute he got within range.. In my situation it would have been disparity of force, I don't want my head bounced of the pavement...EVER. (It has happened before, it was not a situation i could have controlled at that time).

3. Some HTH training
    If he would have lunged you could have sent his head bouncing to the concrete. (however this is not always applicable. i.e. disparity of force)

4. Other tools like a knife, flashlight, kunbaton..etc... Again this is not always applicable. i.e. disparity of force.

All that being said its nice to have options, and to use your firearm as the last resort.

In your case, and IMO if he would have continued to come toward you and threaten your life. I would have drawn down on him if he would have escalated.

You carry your firearm to protect your life, and the lives of the one you love right?
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i am not one to believe you instigated the incident by saying something....it doesnt warrant him coming back and threatening you...otherwise...i do believe you should have kept your mouth shut but the human condition is to verbalize our feelings now and again...we shouldnt have to worry about getting beaten for it unless we get out of line...thats not justification...its just plain fact...there are times when your mouth may get you into trouble and you deserve it....ive been there and learned from it...

another post where being guncentric comes into play...so many non-life threatening solutions are available to us but the first thing we think about is when it is ok to draw in a situation....

my opinion?...as soon as you noticed him driving toward you a cell phone should have been out, a plate number memorized and pepper spray armed...as he approaches advise you have the police on the phone and you would be happy to allow them to settle any disagreement...a verbal warning to stay out of my space immediately followed by a bathing with pepper spray if he does not conform and continues his aggressive approach...i may even punctuate it with a swift kick to the groin to elliminate mobility and give the police a chance to arrive and take a statement....

i think a cell phone is one of the most handy weapons we have at our disposal and just about everyone carries one today...a hothead with any sembelance of consciousness will back off immediately when the police are involved...if not there will be a recording of your warnings and actions to bolster your statement...

otherwise...great job talking him down...you walked away without a physical encounter and thats a win in my book...

If you are serious enough about defending yourself that you carry a weapon, shouldn't you also learn to fight? I say this because in a situation like yours, if that guy had grabbed you or put you on the ground, you could have been held in a way such that you couldn't immediately get to your weapon. That may sound far-fetched (though not nearly as far-fetched as a lot of the self defense situations people theorize about), but in your situation, that guy was right up in your face and you had to back away to create space to feel comfortable, right? You didn't draw your weapon because he hadn't physically assaulted you yet, hadn't drawn a weapon of his own, or anything like that, right?

So if this douchebag had grabbed you, you probably would have been well served to know how to defend yourself hand to hand at least far enough to get a superior position from which to draw your weapon right? This is why I think anyone serious about defending themselves should find an MMA gym and at the VERY least learn how to box and learn submission grappling or brazillian jiu jitsu/sambo/Judo.

Yep, I have to agree. Don't mouth off to idiots. They aren't smart enough to think that the guy they want to fight might have a gun on him.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

TVJ
    My motto

STFU in most all of these situations
    Stand behind what I say when I override STFU

Your level of instigation fails to warrant some warped sense of Justified Punitive Punishment of grave bodily harm/death from the Benz driver by any reasonable man standard.

Personally, I rather STFU and keep my comments limited to command voice "Stand Down Now" when the situation escalates to the Venn diagram intersection of Ability/Opportunity/Jeopardy.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Only thing I would have done diff is go to Silver Bullet and look at some new toys

Quote Originally Posted by CZAD6 View Post
    I looked at him and said you are going to fast. He had his window up and I didn't think he heard me. Oh well, it was a rude comment anyway. I shouldn't even bother.
    You had every right to say something. You committed no wrong or crime in doing so. You didn't escalate anything (in terms of the legal statutes involved in the crime of assault the guy committed against you). You didn't instigate anything, if you said those words in that manner. It's just that you need to fully expect to be assaulted or even attacked, in this day and age. Keep that in mind, when evaluating whether you feel it's a worthwhile exchange for you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    You had every right to say something. You committed no wrong or crime in doing so. You didn't escalate anything (in terms of the legal statutes involved in the crime of assault the guy committed against you). You didn't instigate anything, if you said those words in that manner. It's just that you need to fully expect to be assaulted or even attacked, in this day and age. Keep that in mind, when evaluating whether you feel it's a worthwhile exchange for you.

bingo
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links