Good Thing I had A Gun At The Bank Today

This is a discussion on Good Thing I had A Gun At The Bank Today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my daily comings and goings, I have accepted that there are way more oblivious idiots fumbling their way through life than not. If you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Thing I had A Gun At The Bank Today

In my daily comings and goings, I have accepted that there are way more oblivious idiots fumbling their way through life than not. If you let it get to you, then you become one of the angry idiots because it isn't affecting them one bit...they're oblivious. You can't fix it. Just try to avoid them and ignore them when that doesn't work. They'll go away soon enough and another one will be along shortly. Enjoy the peace in between.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Once you open your mouth to a stranger you lose all control of where that interaction is going to go. What if I said “Hey guy could you pull up?” or “Thanks for holding me up dude.” And the guy just lost it? What if he came out of that car W/ his own gun? Would he be the one that caused the escalation or would it be me
    I just don't go this far myself. I'm not a jerk anymore mind you, BTDT. But I'll hit the horn to wake someone up ahead of me, generally after they have been given plenty of time to figure it out. I'll say, "excuse me" to get by someone. Ask them to let me get by. etc, etc. If they want to freak out about it, they are writing the check not me. That's on my personal time.

In the big rig, with an air horn. hehe I gave a lady the surprise of her life last week I am sure. But then again, what should you expect when you pull a stopped explorer into the path of a rolling tractor trailer in 7th gear. Bad plan. She got about 30 seconds of air horn. I saw her driving erratically and expected it, or it could have been worse. I figure the air horn is a cheaper lesson than a totaled SUV. Sometimes you just gotta do it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Once you open your mouth to a stranger you lose all control of where that interaction is going to go. What if I said “Hey guy could you pull up?” or “Thanks for holding me up dude.” And the guy just lost it? What if he came out of that car W/ his own gun? Would he be the one that caused the escalation or would it be me
    Yes, the other person always has the ability to escalate. And, no, if the other person chooses to do so, you're hardly at fault or the cause of it. His/her disjoint hold on reality is.

Felons-in-diapers are sometimes hard to see, as they're continually finding new and ridiculously irrelevant things to get seriously bummed about. Makes for a tough job in reacting to it sufficiently well to avoid getting any on you, yes. It's hard to expect such reactions from simple and daily interactions, because violent felony reaction is (a) illegal, (b) punished extremely harshly, (c) and such a person can be stopped permanently if the felon chooses a level of violence that isn't easily stopped except via permanent means. The choice of normal, everyday actions are yours. The strange and nonsensical leap to violent felony reaction on the part of the other person is that person's choice; NO, it doesn't make you the cause, merely because he/she has gotten "bent" and lashed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo
    The point I’m trying to make is that as soon as I strap on a gun I give up the right to lose my temper. I give up the right to make smart aleck comments to passers by. I give up the right to do anything that may escalate any situation I’m in.
    Glad to hear it. Might want to get a handle on that ticked, torqued, angry thing. Particularly if combined with "looking" of a certain degree that's aimed at the other person, the combination might well be taken as ante into a violent little game to be played right then. It's the sort of thing you can find bubbling just under the surface if you move through a "risky" park area where thugs congregate and find one barking "Whaddaya lookin' at, bub?!" when all you did was glance in his direction. Worth avoiding getting angry at all, particularly when you know that the guy in the car ahead of you is going to move ahead at some point. It's hardly worth getting bent over, really angry, inciting someone else to chest-pound, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I read this and I ALMOST began to agree with you. Then it hit me...Wait a minute...Just because I carry a weapon, I don't "give up the right" to do anything. I develop the ability to control my actions NOT give up the rights to have my actions. I can lose my temper within, yet control it on the surface through my inaction in allowing it to get the best of me. By doing this I am accepting the responsibility of carrying my weapon. I don't give up the right to do things to escalate the situation, I have developed the ability to deescalate the situation through my responses or lack of response, depending upon the scenario. Just because I may end up in an "interaction" with someone, does not indicate I am in a gunfight, it indicates that it is time for me to use the intelligence and right of responsibility that I have assumed, and act/react in a manner that ensures there is NO gunfight, other than a possible "intelligence" gunfight. Now, at the point I've made every effort to tone down and deescalate a potential "hot" situation, and the other party continues to act/react irrationally, then it is up to me to decide how to extricate myself and leave them to their fuming ways. IF, and it's a big IF, the other party chooses to escalate the situation to a Condition Red, then I WILL defend myself and my family to my utmost ability based on my mindset development, my training, my skills with my weapon, and the tactics I decide to use at that moment. I emphasize, I DO NOT GIVE UP ANY RIGHTS, I LEARN TO CONTROL MY EMOTIONS. I do thoroughly agree with your last statement: Any check that your mouth writes just may have to be cashed by your ass.. Learn self control and you won't overdraw your account!!!! JMO

+1

I'm respectful and courteous with or without my guns. I don't accept anything less from my fellow man, with or without my guns.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I read this and I ALMOST began to agree with you. Then it hit me...Wait a minute...Just because I carry a weapon, I don't "give up the right" to do anything. I develop the ability to control my actions NOT give up the rights to have my actions. I can lose my temper within, yet control it on the surface through my inaction in allowing it to get the best of me. By doing this I am accepting the responsibility of carrying my weapon. I don't give up the right to do things to escalate the situation, I have developed the ability to deescalate the situation through my responses or lack of response, depending upon the scenario. Just because I may end up in an "interaction" with someone, does not indicate I am in a gunfight, it indicates that it is time for me to use the intelligence and right of responsibility that I have assumed, and act/react in a manner that ensures there is NO gunfight, other than a possible "intelligence" gunfight. Now, at the point I've made every effort to tone down and deescalate a potential "hot" situation, and the other party continues to act/react irrationally, then it is up to me to decide how to extricate myself and leave them to their fuming ways. IF, and it's a big IF, the other party chooses to escalate the situation to a Condition Red, then I WILL defend myself and my family to my utmost ability based on my mindset development, my training, my skills with my weapon, and the tactics I decide to use at that moment. I emphasize, I DO NOT GIVE UP ANY RIGHTS, I LEARN TO CONTROL MY EMOTIONS. I do thoroughly agree with your last statement: Any check that your mouth writes just may have to be cashed by your ass.. Learn self control and you won't overdraw your account!!!! JMO
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Patience is a virtue. Now do you look back (like I do) and say you got mad because you had to wait at the bank? Even if someone screwed you over, what difference does it make? Five minutes? It takes me that long to put my pants on, feed my belt through the loops, clip on my holster, and adhere my suspenders. If I got mad every time I had to wait I would be livid all the time. Life is too short to be angry, my recommendation for you is to spend some time with the fam baking a cake, who can get mad when there's cake on the line? Yummy!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I fail to see anything important here except you need to get some sleep and maybe put your gun away until you do.
    Yeah...I don't get why you needed a gun for this...??
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Zwetschgen View Post
    Life is too short ...
    It comes to this. It's that simple.

The other guy wasn't harming anyone. Indeed, it's entirely likely he wasn't even aware of the bubbling cauldron behind him. (Neither was the teller/clerk at the bank window, either.) It took an extra couple of minutes. Lots of things take a couple of minutes, each day. None of which harms anyone. Problem with it? Best not to, since it'll occur tomorrow as well, and the next day, and the next. That's life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I only see one "follow." Sounds like you just need a good margarita (or two).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Life is much smoother when controlling your emotions and temper, rather than the other way around. If you're capable of such control on your own, all the better. If carrying helps you get that control, that's good too. Too many people are ready to fight at the first cross word. We agree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sometimes you still have to be respectful to people who don't deserve it.
    You could have pulled all the way around and backed into the empty teller window ahead of him?
    LOL, I like this suggestion.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    funny this came up...the other day i pulled into the convenient to fill up with gas...i was about to pull into one lane and another car pulled in from the opposite way...so i koved toward the next line of pumps right next to the door...a kid shoots in right in front of me so i think i'll just wait for him to fill up and slide in behind him...his passenger gets out and walks inside the store...he just sits at the pump and waits for her...not fueling his vehicle...and he acts as if i am not even there....there are parking spots right to the side and enough room for him to pull ahead and let me at the pump...he just sits and waits for her....she walks out...gets in the car and they leave...about 4 minutes total...i started laughing...pulled up and filled up with gas....people are funny....

One thing to consider, is we never no what is going on in someones life. He may have had a loved one just pass away, a sick child in the hospital, or unemployed and trying to figure out how he is gonna pay his bills. I remember when I found out my brother had been killed, I went for a drive and sat thru 2 red lights before I realized it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    One thing to consider, is we never no what is going on in someones life. He may have had a loved one just pass away, a sick child in the hospital, or unemployed and trying to figure out how he is gonna pay his bills. I remember when I found out my brother had been killed, I went for a drive and sat thru 2 red lights before I realized it.
    great point...well stated...

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    sometimes sarcasm goes over heads...................OMG LOOK, AN AIRPLANE STUCK IN THE MUD!!!!
    hey look!!! dead bird... (wile pointing up into the sky)
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links