Good Thing I had A Gun At The Bank Today

This is a discussion on Good Thing I had A Gun At The Bank Today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to get some money out of the bank today, I pulled in behind another car and proceed to follow him around to the drive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Went to get some money out of the bank today, I pulled in behind another car and proceed to follow him around to the drive through. At my bank there are 4 drive through windows in two lanes. Generally, the front car (the guy ahead of me) pulls up to the second widow so the back car can pull up to the first but not this guy he wasn’t havin’ any. He stopped at the first window and just sat there completely oblivious to me. I sat there for a minute of two just fuming I was ticked. Finally the car in the lane next to me finished its business and pulled out so I backed up, pulled to that lane and started to conduct my business. I looked over that the offending party and he seemed totally oblivious. Words do not begin to express how torqued I was, I’m not patient by nature and I was running on about two hours of sleep after a busy third shift.

Finally I conduct my business look over dude’s still not done so I back up (lane ahead of me was blocked) go around the drive through and head out of the parking lot about that time the offender finished his trans action and pulled up next to me at the parking lot exit.

Then it happened.

He turned Left I turned Right we went our separate ways and I doubt I’ll ever see him again.

Damn I’m glad I had that gun.

ETA I'm I the only one that sees the words "Proceed to follow follow him" in the first line? The second follow vanishes every time I try to edit it

"proceed", first line, "to follow him", second line. No additional "follow".

ETA: Now you know why they say patience is a virtue.

VIP Member
    I fail to see anything important here except you need to get some sleep and maybe put your gun away until you do.

I run into people that are oblivious everyday,in stores push their cart in the middle of the aisle then start looking at stuff on one side and there isn't enough room to go past,usually excuse me wakes em up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I fail to see anything important here except you need to get some sleep and maybe put your gun away until you do.
    Then you need to go back and read it again because there's something critical in there that a lot of people that post here miss frequently

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Then you need to go back and read it again because there's something critical in there that a lot of people that post here miss frequently
    Then it happened.

He turned Left I turned Right we went our separate ways and I doubt I’ll ever see him again.
    Good point. Annoyed, upset, gun was never mentioned as a way to cure the problem.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What I get out of him being glad he had his gun, was that he knew he had to hold his temper, "because he had his gun".
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good point. Annoyed, upset, gun was never mentioned as a way to cure the problem.

You are very, very, close. The point I’m trying to make is that as soon as I strap on a gun I give up the right to lose my temper. I give up the right to make smart aleck comments to passers by. I give up the right to do anything that may escalate any situation I’m in. Any altercation I’m in is a gun fight because there at least one gun involved, mine. Once you open your mouth to a stranger you lose all control of where that interaction is going to go. What if I said “Hey guy could you pull up?” or “Thanks for holding me up dude.” And the guy just lost it? What if he came out of that car W/ his own gun? Would he be the one that caused the escalation or would it be me

First rule when you’re carrying a gun “Any check your mouth writes just might have to be cashed by your ass”

Sometimes you still have to be respectful to people who don't deserve it.
    You could have pulled all the way around and backed into the empty teller window ahead of him?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You are very, very, close. The point I’m trying to make is that as soon as I strap on a gun I give up the right to lose my temper. I give up the right to make smart aleck comments to passers by. I give up the right to do anything that may escalate any situation I’m in. Any altercation I’m in is a gun fight because there at least one gun involved, mine. Once you open your mouth to a stranger you lose all control of where that interaction is going to go. What if I said “Hey guy could you pull up?” or “Thanks for holding me up dude.” And the guy just lost it? What if he came out of that car W/ his own gun? Would he be the one that caused the escalation or would it be me

First rule when you’re carrying a gun “Any check your mouth writes just might have to be cashed by your ass”
    I read this and I ALMOST began to agree with you. Then it hit me...Wait a minute...Just because I carry a weapon, I don't "give up the right" to do anything. I develop the ability to control my actions NOT give up the rights to have my actions. I can lose my temper within, yet control it on the surface through my inaction in allowing it to get the best of me. By doing this I am accepting the responsibility of carrying my weapon. I don't give up the right to do things to escalate the situation, I have developed the ability to deescalate the situation through my responses or lack of response, depending upon the scenario. Just because I may end up in an "interaction" with someone, does not indicate I am in a gunfight, it indicates that it is time for me to use the intelligence and right of responsibility that I have assumed, and act/react in a manner that ensures there is NO gunfight, other than a possible "intelligence" gunfight. Now, at the point I've made every effort to tone down and deescalate a potential "hot" situation, and the other party continues to act/react irrationally, then it is up to me to decide how to extricate myself and leave them to their fuming ways. IF, and it's a big IF, the other party chooses to escalate the situation to a Condition Red, then I WILL defend myself and my family to my utmost ability based on my mindset development, my training, my skills with my weapon, and the tactics I decide to use at that moment. I emphasize, I DO NOT GIVE UP ANY RIGHTS, I LEARN TO CONTROL MY EMOTIONS. I do thoroughly agree with your last statement: Any check that your mouth writes just may have to be cashed by your ass.. Learn self control and you won't overdraw your account!!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sometimes you still have to be respectful to people who don't deserve it.
    You could have pulled all the way around and backed into the empty teller window ahead of him?
    Did that very thing once myself in a gas station. The other driver's wife found it amusing,him not so much.

Question

I sat there for a minute of two just fuming I was ticked.

I looked over that the offending party ...

Words do not begin to express how torqued I was

Then it happened. He turned Left I turned Right we went our separate ways and I doubt I’ll ever see him again. Damn I’m glad I had that gun.
    I'm not following the story, I guess. How is it that it was "good" to be armed, in such circumstances of fuming, being ticked, torqued and "looking" at the offending party, for the "offense" of either not having seen you or the bank teller not having had him drive to the next window?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, I don't get it, either. If you had not been armed, would you have provoked a situation? Would you have honked, cussed, yelled, what? Or is the gun the only reason you didn't start something with this guy?

GM
    ... and perhaps cut down on coffee too
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    sometimes sarcasm goes over heads...................OMG LOOK, AN AIRPLANE STUCK IN THE MUD!!!!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links