Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM

This is a discussion on Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gas pedal for me. I'm already in "D" and pointed out so I won't hit anything. Even in my dreams I can't outdraw the BG ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM

Gas pedal for me. I'm already in "D" and pointed out so I won't hit anything. Even in my dreams I can't outdraw the BG that has it out and pointed (hopefully not aimed).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Open door, roll out, take cover, draw, then do a cool guy hoodslide while shooting at the BG, miss every shot, reload and shot him once in the head . . . . yeah . . .

Oh wait you mean for real? Just book it man, like the old lady did.
    LOL That was classic. Understand, I'm not a mall ninja here, nor am I advocating being felony stupid, but in some circumstances, it might be better to draw instead of flee. We don't always get to play the hand we want but rather the one we're dealt. What happens if the traffic doesn't permit a fast getaway? Or if they're pedestrians in the way? You just going to mow them all down? I don't think so either. In this case, it was the right call. You, me or the next guy? Maybe something else. Either it's your day to "go" or it's not. That's why I believe in Christ. So I don't really have to worry, ya know?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm not going to try and draw if he already has a gun in my window...

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    I'm not going to try and draw if he already has a gun in my window...
    If you look at the two pix from the link he's not at the window or even leaning in. There is still time to react with either flight or fight.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I hope the Lil ol Lady ran over his toes!!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Hard call, as an auto body provides virtually no protection from bullets, and cars don't accelerate as fast as you can draw. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to hang around a gunfight I don't have to.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Based on the scenario I think she did the best thing. Her situation is why I always frequent a free standing ATM.

Another issue that I don't see being addressed here is the hearing loss that would definately result from you firing a weapon in an enclosed space such as your car. While I understand that life trumps hearing, firing in such an enclosed space is to be avoided if at all possible

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ATMs are no more than ready cash for BGs, especially one that's outside. The car provides more protection than lack of one. Stomp on the gas; you can come back and fight it out for the cash when you're better prepared.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with the drive away idea, with one addition. As there appears to be room, as I hit the gas I would crank the wheel to the right, to give him something to think about besides capping a round at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I agree with the drive away idea, with one addition. As there appears to be room, as I hit the gas I would crank the wheel to the right, to give him something to think about besides capping a round at me.
    That's a great idea. I'm a big believer in the "you're sitting IN a weapon" school of thought when it comes to vehicular engagements and disengagements.

When I pull up to an ATM, I always have my gun sitting right next to me (not visible) and ready to go.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    When I pull up to an ATM, I always have my gun sitting right next to me (not visible) and ready to go.
    I like this answer. If my 45 is within reach, you bet I'd go for it.
    On the other hand - it depends. Does the BG have the gun aimed at my face, or is he nonchalantly tapping the window expecting me to be a sheep and roll over ?
    Do I have the car in Park or in gear ? (now you have my attention - never in Park again at the ATM !!)
    Like a previous poster said, the BG is thinking he's in control - not expecting the victim to have a weapon.

Every situation is different but it sounds like in this instance the best thing to do is comply or drive off quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links