Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM

Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM

This is a discussion on Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; St. Louis Police Seek Help Identifying Would-Be Robber in Saggy Jeans riverfronttimes ^ | 5 Aug. 2010 | Chad Garrison Posted on August 7, 2010 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM

Question Q: What would you do? - Armed encounter at ATM

St. Louis Police Seek Help Identifying Would-Be Robber in Saggy Jeans
    riverfronttimes ^ | 5 Aug. 2010 | Chad Garrison
    Posted on August 7, 2010 1210 PM EDT by smokingfrog

The St. Louis police department today sent out a media request asking the public's help identifying and locating a man involved in attempted robbery last month.

The incident occurred around 7 a.m. July 10 when a 60-year-old woman was driving through the ATM at Southern Commercial Bank at 5515 South Grand. According to police, the suspect approached the vehicle with a gun and tapped on the window, ordering the woman to open the door. Instead the woman sped off, at which point the suspect fired a shot that shattered one of the car's windows and resulted in minor injuries to the driver.

It's unclear why the police are seeking help now with case -- three weeks after it occurred.

A Daily RFT inquiry to police asking if the suspect may also be wanted for Monday's early morning heist of ATM Solutions -- a robbery that netted thieves as much as $11 million -- was not immediately answered.

The suspect in the July 10 incident is described as a black male in his 20s, standing between 5'8" and 6'2" and weighing between 155 and 165 pounds.

ExSoldier's note: I lifted this from another forum and one of the guys there claimed that the woman DID THE RIGHT THING in driving away and made a further note that in HIS opinion, even folks lawfully armed should do the same thing -- stomp on the gas and trust you won't be hit by gunfire at your unprotected back. Naturally, I entered into a polite conversation as to why I thought that in some instances that might be a B-A-D idea. I got the final entry on that .... so far. But the exchange was enough to make me curious as to how folks here thought on the issue. After all, I made the purchase of my new Taurus Judge (Public Defender) for just such a vehicle encounter when my wife and I travel for vacations. We don't ever go by air since the 2 pups always go with us. A perp would have to be crazy to jam his head inside a vehicle carrying two full grown Newfoundland dogs and DEMAND anything, but I'm just sayin' is all. I'd probably have a Sig or H&K on my hip (IWB) and the Judge more handy but out of sight. OR I might have to draw from the IWB and it's be a single 45 shot instead of a shot spread. I DO practice that kind of a draw and I'm pretty comfortable with that, but it's not as fast as if I was standing unencumbered. I'd like to hear what y'all think.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I like to hope that myself and most people here wouldn't be in condition white to start with. We'd notice a guy with a gun approaching, or at minimum notice a shady character walking towards your car at a drive-up ATM, and take appropriate measures -- either drive off right then before he reaches the car (preferred), or discreetly draw and have it waiting for him to be used as soon as he displays a weapon.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I think I would have drove off too. I never put the car in park while I am depositing or make a withdrawal. I try to stay alert to anyone approaching my car. ( But what if you have a child in the car with you? Would that change your decision? I would be afraid more for my son than myself, he sits in the back seat.

Although I sometimes have lapses in SA, I would hope that I would have picked up on the approach of the "gentleman" to my car. However, it could be that my focus was on entering my information into the ATM and at just that moment of distraction, he was inside my perimeter of safety. IF someone taps on my window with a weapon and give me instructions to roll it down or open the door, then as along as I have a place to go when I hit the accelerator, I'm outta there!!!! I shall take my chances on his "random" shot toward my departing vehicle versus the consequences of opening my window/door or trying to draw against the weapon he has already presented. JMO...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'd say smoking frog was right If I can run I'm going to

depending on the circumstances she did the right thing.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Personally, I probably would've hit the gas as well. But, every situation is different. At one ATM I frequent, the visability is real good; but making a fast getaway is problematic due to traffic.

You're already one step behind if the bad guy already has his gun out and pointed in your direction. I don't care how fast you can draw from concealment, you're already beat if you stay and try to fight. I'd drive off to.

I just hope the bank likes the new road I create.

Why do people make planned stops at ATM's at either 7 A.M. or 2 A.M.
    What am I missing here?
    Plan ahead and make your day much safer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Everything is situational, for sure. S'pose there is a car in front? Or as stated traffic of sort or another. Maybe pedestrians? When I'm in traffic I always allow enough room to see the rear tires of the car in front of me, that way I know I have room to maneuver to get around him. If I'm near the curb or an island, I'm keenly aware that my Wrangler 4x4 is able to jump the curb easily or if a SHOVE is required, I can drop it into FWD "low" and simply push some cars out of the way, enough to get me moving. I'm always aware in traffic.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Everything is situational, for sure. S'pose there is a car in front? Or as stated traffic of sort or another. Maybe pedestrians? When I'm in traffic I always allow enough room to see the rear tires of the car in front of me, that way I know I have room to maneuver to get around him. If I'm near the curb or an island, I'm keenly aware that my Wrangler 4x4 is able to jump the curb easily or if a SHOVE is required, I can drop it into FWD "low" and simply push some cars out of the way, enough to get me moving. I'm always aware in traffic.
    IOW I'm going to tweek this scenario till you have no option but to shoot.

I actually don't even have an ATM card but when i did I made sure to use an ATM inside a building. ( Wow, I just avoided the whole scenario)

Open door, roll out, take cover, draw, then do a cool guy hoodslide while shooting at the BG, miss every shot, reload and shot him once in the head . . . . yeah . . .

Oh wait you mean for real? Just book it man, like the old lady did.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You're already one step behind if the bad guy already has his gun out and pointed in your direction. I don't care how fast you can draw from concealment, you're already beat if you stay and try to fight. I'd drive off to.

I just hope the bank likes the new road I create.
    Believe it or not, it happens all the time. Remember a few things and I know this because I used to be a State Parole Officer, so I'm used to close contact with murderers and other nefarious characters. They usually think they're in control, total control. They don't at any level expect resistance, if they did, they'd go someplace else. So it is totally possible, even probable that you will emerge the victor in such an event. Especially if your first shot is from a judge as in the video I posted and that first round hits the face. You think he's going to be in any condition to do anything (even reflexively pull the trigger) with his face literally removed? This is what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5GepjBRsM So, one step behind? Maybe but we don't always get to play the hand we WISH we had, but rather the one we're dealt. Everything is situational. I agree that discretion is almost always the better part of valor, but neither would I rule out a response if the person on the spot feels the position is right.

Here is a link to the original article (http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai..._atm_thief.php) and there are two pix of the perp as he advances on the car. One in which he is struggling to keep his saggy pants UP and the other from the ATM P.O.V. on the other side of the driver as she contemplates the guy advancing on her. See what you think.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 8th, 2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: add link! lol

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Personally, I probably would've hit the gas as well. But, every situation is different. At one ATM I frequent, the visability is real good; but making a fast getaway is problematic due to traffic.
    I'd probably floor it too.
    That describes my bank. I feel pretty confident going there occasionally because visibility is good, but you can't get out of the parking lot very quickly due to traffic. Of course in MY truck I wouldn't have too much trouble if there was ANY space on the road at all I'd find it, and if I were in hubb's truck it doesn't accelerate like mine does but with 4x4 I could make my own road like someone else mentioned....I guess the escape route depends on what vehicle I'm driving.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links