Interesting scenario

This is a discussion on Interesting scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good job....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting scenario

Good job.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A perfect scenario for OC. After which the cane would be very effective.

I'm thinking that if I am going to threaten someone with a knife, by display, I might as well do same with a gun, both being potential assault with a deadly weapon---though not in this circumstance.

I have a hunch the story is fiction, but still --either way-- a good scenario.

There is a reason that (here at least) most felonious attacks on the elderly carry additional jail time. So, our big guy, probably isn't going to be seeing his spoiled brat all that much the next few years. Should help the kid. With some luck, mamma will grow up real fast when she finds she has to: a) live by herself; b) raise kid by herself; c) get a job; d) sell house to pay for futile defense against the charges before big boy goes to big house. With any real luck, the LEOs will find that there were drugs in that
    fancy truck. Mom will go to jail too. Kid will go to foster home. Just maybe, there will be a slim chance of the little girl then growing up somewhat "normal."

apparently mom and dad wer involved in some steroid sales across state lines... or some such... they are in beaucoup deep stuff. From what I have heard... and this assault is very low on the ladder of prosecutable charges...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Gee, what a surprise.

3D
    I'm thinking that when the 69yr old disabled vet added words to the sight of the knife: "What you think is going to happen here isn't. I'm not going to let you beat me up to prove to your wife and kid how tough you are. What is going to happen here is if you assault me, I'm going to spread your guts all over this floor. You'll get me, but you're going to die doing it." he clearly expressed intention and mindset that got 'daddy's' attention.

Same if it was his gun.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Whether this story is true or not, I can't believe the audacity of the mother and child. They essentially escalated a stupid situation that THEY created by calling this hulk of a "daddy". I was surprised when the father showed up. You just never know who your messing with or what they might be carrying....they really put "daddy" into a potentially dangerous situation over nothing. Sounds like he got what he deserved.
    I can believe it. Most people are stupid and create their own problems. Bullies must be taught that at least SOME people will defend themselves. I love it when bullies get their behinds whupped and better yet when they are hauled off to jail for their own stupidity. JMO

Nice story, but having worked for a police department in suburban Maryland for fifteen years this one does not pass the sniff test. Unless the original author left a whole bunch of significant information out (which they may have done) I don't know a single department that would have handled the incident as described.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Can't speak to the veracity of the original story, only posted it here for remarks... I did try to look it up to no avail... maybe it is just a good story...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

JNC
    I bet a 911 call would work wonders. To dispatch: "Yes m'am I am at Panera Bread located xxxx, there is a man here who has aggressively approached me and threatened me with physical harm." Anything he says at this point is recorded.

VIP Member
    I would have spoken to the manager when I saw the wife make the phone call. After explaining things to him and getting a refund I would have left. The other option would have been to call the police ahead of time and tell them that you are a disabled vet and a woman has just called her husband to come beat you up. Explain that you aren't very mobile and don't want to leave the protection of the public place you are in. Be proactive and not reactive. This guy waited for a fight to come to him and it could have turned out ugly.

Waiting there passively for the BG could have gotten him killed. What if the BG had a gun?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Assuming this really occurred...

I can certainly see the reasonable thinking behind calling 911. I can certainly see the reasonable thinking behind just moving from the table.

But, at what point do we say enough is enough? At what point do we stand up and say "I'm mad as heck and I'm not going to take it anymore?"

At the extremes, there seems to be 2 main schools of thought here on DC. The "sheep/wolves/sheepdog" paradigm, and the "avoid conflict at all cost" paradigm.

I can't stomach those with "mall ninja" demeanor that seem to take to the first paradigm, and I don't want to stop enjoying my life within my rights to avoid someone else trampling on them.

Now, in the scenario as presented, we have an elderly gentleman sitting down to enjoy his breakfast. He just gets started, and some brat comes along and tells him to move. Brat's mom backs the brat politely at first, but in the end calls big bad daddy to "handle this" and forcibly eject the elderly, disabled veteran.

The vet hasn't gone to the "wrong part of town," he's not using an ATM in a dark alley somewhere, he's not in a "stop and rob" at midnight. He's having breakfast in a well lit mainstream national franchise, at breakfast time, in a high traffic area, in broad daylight. He's well within his rights, and does not escalate the situation in any way.

Bad boy shows up, threatens the 69 YO vet with a whuppin. Somebody else (probably one of the "be a good witness crowd") has already called 911 by the way... and they are enroute.

As a bystander... I would have done the same (called 911 and been a good witness).

But in the place of the old vet... or even myself at my current age and ability... I wouldn't have done much different. I doubt that I'd have pulled out my knife... but the scenario occuring in Maryland, I wouldn't have been able to carry a gun (most likely), so if that's all I had, that'd have to do.

Today, where I live, with a PCW, and carrying, I might (probably would) have exposed my handgun. Not brandished it, not waved it around, but made the holster and it's contents easily accessible, getting a cover garment out of the way, untucking, whatever. I'd have probably put my hand on the grip as well.

Now, the guy has already threatened me with a whuppin, in front of witnesses. He's bigger than me, he's stronger than me, and he's probably on 'roids and whatever else. I am in danger of grave bodily harm. I will state that I am afraid of him, or what he can do to me, loud enough for the same witnesses to hear.

Hopefully, by this time the police sirens are audible, and help is on the way.

But, I can't just be a good witness, I am the victim here. I'm not going to jump up and point my gun at the jerk. But I am in a place I am legally allowed to be, I am not bothering anybody, and a hasty retreat is not an option. He's "bringing it;" I am rational, quiet, and waiting. The next move will be his, and will start whatever action/reaction is going to take place.

I can't say with certainty what the outcome will be.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

VIP Member
    If I knew I was going to be in a fight at Panera's today I'd stay home. The man in the story had every right to be where he was, but he also knew ahead of time that an encounter was on it's way to him. It's not a matter of where do you draw the line. It's knowing ahead of time a lethal force situation could happen in the next few minutes and waiting around for it to hit you in the face. As for me, I'm not 69 and have never been too worried about blowhards, but in today"s world a blowhard with a gun is a very real possibility.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Just to interject a little info: I read this story on a different Forum. It appears that when the Police arrived they impounded Hubbies truck for parking in a no parking zone. He resisted arrest so four or five officers opened up a can of ass-wuping on him and took him off to jail. Currently both Mom and Dad are behind bars for various drug related offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Just to interject a little info: I read this story on a different Forum. It appears that when the Police arrived they impounded Hubbies truck for parking in a no parking zone. He resisted arrest so four or five officers opened up a can of ass-wuping on him and took him off to jail. Currently both Mom and Dad are behind bars for various drug related offenses.
    Alledgedly... But I could find nothing in the press or anywhere else about this occurence.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    And for what it's worth.....I have an 11-year old and a 7-year old. If even my 7-year old walked up to a stranger and bellowed, "Move!," (which he wouldn't), he would be learning a whole new meaning of the word "discipline."
    Oh boy mine to
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links