How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife

This is a discussion on How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BigArn So what did the EX do? Nothin, that is what I thought. :) Just stay home, don't leave your home, everybody ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    So what did the EX do? Nothin, that is what I thought. :)
    Just stay home, don't leave your home, everybody is after you, your not safe, lock the doors, put the sofa up against the door, it's not safe out there.
    Was this really necessary? The OP brought up a very good topic for conversation, so what's your point?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

The fact this question has to be asked is a sad commentary on the state of the legal education of people carrying handguns.

N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-18.2 relates to injury to pregnant woman. The law states that any person, who in the commission of a felony, causes injury to a woman, knowing the woman to be pregnant, in which injury results in the miscarriage or stillbirth by the woman is guilty of a felony that is one class higher than the felony committed.

Further, search this forum or the internet for the Subjective/Objective test for reasonability as it relates to self defense & defense of others.

I have to agree with treo. In all honesty if someone harms my wife or children i cant say i wouldnt go postal. Its just the nature of us all, im sure some fathers and husbands can relate. At that point i wouldnt care what happened to me. Regardless of the law at the time my family is in danger im gonna do what i feel neccessary to prevent further harm or death!!! Im not saying im going to kill everybody who looks at us wrong and i hope i never have to exp a situation where drawing my firearm is required. I am knowlegable with the laws and here in nc you defend the life of a complete stranger, but u better make sure they werent the instigator in the altercation, so im not worried about facing charges because i defend my family. The topic of this thread is the defense of an unborn child which i feel is more prone to death or serious injury considering how fragile they are
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I don't care what the judge and jury might say! If I had a wife and she was carrying my baby and ANYONE punched her in the stomach obviously trying to kill my baby they just commited suicide in my book.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I don't care what the judge and jury might say! If I had a wife and she was carrying my baby and ANYONE punched her in the stomach obviously trying to kill my baby they just commited suicide in my book.
    I agree. Besides, a man who would punch a pregnant woman in the stomach needs killing.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Men that beat women are cowards,they very seldom try anything in front of witnesses or somebody that could beat them within an inch of their life.If my wife was pregnant she's got some splainin to do lucy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Men that beat women are cowards,they very seldom try anything in front of witnesses or somebody that could beat them within an inch of their life.If my wife was pregnant she's got some splainin to do lucy
    I agree, men that beat women look for their victim when they are most vulnerable, definitely not in a public place with the womans husband/boyfriend there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Lima said it. My thoughts exactly. I practically went into defense mode just thinking about this.
    Agreed and ditto.

Really, a question like this shouldn't even require ongoing thought.
    Punching a pregger woman is a direct affront and purposeful attempt to do _GRAVE_ bodily harm as to her (first person immediate) AND to the being in utero (first person passive).
    It is well known that for women their most vulnerable time in life in a real physical way is during pregnancy. Talk to any counselor, therapist or police that is trained in domestic violence and they will tell you exact same chapter & verse.

So if some person, _any person_ regardless of their background being violent prior or not, were to threaten to assault my pregnant wife with real and immediate violence...he or _she_ gets at that time in the immediate deemed to be an active threat, and is addressed appropriately.
    To actually make contact and assault said person directly at all muchless in specific being a punch to the abdomen, upper chest or groin...would in my book warrant reaction as by way of force that could if not would include lethal force.

In my state (MA) I am supported as same., and we have laws on the books toward elders and children too for same reasons of being physically most vulnerable.
    Any person who made such an action against one of my own would in turn reap the whirlwind. I'd expect same from any father, or for that matter able human being.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Pregnant women are about as off-limits as you can get.

I guess unless one is coming at you with a deadly weapon of some type, then that poses an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by janq View Post
    it is well known that for women their most vulnerable time in life in a real physical way is during pregnancy. Talk to any counselor, therapist or police that is trained in domestic violence and they will tell you exact same chapter & verse.

- janq

believe me....after living with my pregnant wife for 9 months yes very vulnerable....more power to you women i respect you to the fullest!!!!
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MAINE0388 View Post
    OK, so the other day my wife and I were in wally-world and as we are leaving we run into her ex. A little backround....she has a child with him and he has a violent past which has jepordized(spelling?) the life of his child while she was pregnant...I myself would like to have a few rounds in a cage with him but newayz....My wife is now full term in her pregnancy with our child have a scheduled c-section for next thurs the 19th The first thing that came to mind was what if this fool tried something on my wife....say he punch her in the stomach..now as much as i would want to ventalate his body at that point, I feel I would be outta line to even present at that point. At that point I could take the chance while his attention is toward her to grab him and comence to beating the crap out of him....now my question is lol how would ne of you react....cleary his action would put my child in danger and if hit hard enough could cause some serious injury if not death to my child not to mention the injury inflicted upon my wife....could i legally take his life for being in fear of my childs life?? say he continues to attack???
    Another great example of why you need something in your toolbox between harsh words and lethal force. Chemical spray, impact too, HTH training, severe halitosis, whatever it might be.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'll second what janq said. My wife is nearly full term right now too. I will do whatever is necessary to protect her.

this definatly hits home. I have my first on the way in jan. I find myself in supper high alert when out with the wife. Seems like you go up a color code when you are an expectent father. Same answer as most above, you attack my wife and our baby, you will be shot. But hopefully i will see any threat coming and divert said threat before it gets to that.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Story begins with Maine in wallyworld so you immediately start screamining about the circumstances and the potential of killing the unborn baby and the wife--this leads to WITNESSES. If your state has "alter ego rules", imminent death and or great bodily injury to someone else can be considered as if it happening to you and you can defend yourself (in this case someone else-hence "alter ego") with lethal force. In SC, and if I were on a jury and if there were witnesses and this was the story, I would vote for acquittal, if indeed, it ever came to a trial--good chance there would be no charges of any kind. Bottom line for me is--I yell, I scream, I do everything I can to get the guy off of her and stop him and ultimately, if I have NO OTHER CHOICE, I use deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Unborn child's life aside, punching a pregnant woman in the stomach for the purpose of doing damage to the baby can INDEED cause SEVERE damage to the mother and can be life threatening. Her placenta can separate from the uterine wall causing internal bleeding. Her uterus could tear. She could go into labor. It could break ribs from the baby being pushed up into the chest cavity. There are SO MANY THINGS that can happen when a full term, pregnant woman is assaulted that can be life threatening.

Honestly, as a mother, I would EXPECT my husband to defend my life if I couldn't do it myself not to mention the life of my unborn child. Whether legally defined as a living child by the state or not I know what I believe and what my husband believes about life and I'm going to defend it. And getting punched or kicked or even tapped in the stomach when full-term is very painful, not to mention you are super off balance and a woman's body just doesn't work the way it does when it's not pregnant.

An attack on a pregnant woman is an attack on her life. She is in a very vulnerable and fragile point in her life and any number of complications could mean her life. I don't think any jury in the country would find it hard to forgive my husband for ventilating a man who attacked me with intent to do harm to our unborn child.
    Bingo!! As a husband and father it is my job to defend my wife and children against any and all threats. If this would happen, and while living in Illinois I know that I would quite possibility go to jail and I am fine with that. In Illinois, even if you carry illegally and stop a violent act then it is the discretion of the DA to recommend charges. I have no problem stopping and if that means killing a person threatening to hurt and kill my wife and unborn child then i would stop him with any and all means possible. Be it my body, hands, bricks, one of my knives, tree branches, catapult, biting him, or even a gun then that's what I'll do. My family is much more important to me than my own well being.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would not punch an 'ex' attacking my pregnant wife...I would 'ventilate' him.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I would put myself between my wife and child prior to anything happening. He would have to go through me to attack her.

I think this is enough to express my feelings...
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links