How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife

This is a discussion on How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a grandfather now and the same thing applies to my daughter and daughter-in -laws as would to my wife if I'm the one able ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife

I'm a grandfather now and the same thing applies to my daughter and daughter-in -laws as would to my wife if I'm the one able to be there in such a case.

I would try to get between her and the attacker and if I could not stop the attack in a less than ventilating ways, then ventilation would be applied in mega doses.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MAINE0388 View Post
    Yes Bullseye correct me if im wrong.....i cant just shoot him because i know he has been violent in the past.....i have to feel like i am in imminent danger of grave bodily harm. Now at the same time.....im sayin im worried about him killing me or my wife etc... But i know his temper and anything is possible with him which is why im constantly running scenarios through my mind.....this one in paticular i was concerned with the life of my unborn child not really mine or my wifes because i feel like either of us could defend ourself in that type of situation....im just wondering the legality of deadly force in an effort to prevent loss of life in my child...i dont know exactly how fragile one is while in the womb but i would say that a hard enough blow which ne man i feel is capable of delivering could kill that child especially if hit in the head whereas their skulls arent even fully covering the brain yet
    You're right on the money. I believe that any jury would agree that if he made a hostile movement toward the pregnant wife you would be within the law to stop the threat because that would be considered a threat of severe bodily harm. I would not even focus on the baby, (not being callus, just looking for the most defensible legal position) just the mother being pregnant is medically enough to cause concern if she were to start bleeding internally from a blow. Just remember that if anything like that starts to unfold witnesses hearing you telling him to stop and that you will shoot him if he attacks you or your wife will go a long way to help your case. Even if there is minimal time between the warning and the stopping of the threat. It's kind of like giving a gift, it's not how much time you give but the fact that you did give him a chance that matters.

During that time of our lives, had someone punched my wife like that I would have done my level best to kill them with my bare hands or any handy object. It would not have been a conscious decision, but an anger and adrenaline fueled uncontrollable response to someone trying to destroy my entire world.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My wife is due next month so I have been extra concerned with safety as well, luckily we don't have any crazy ex's to deal with. It has all pretty much been said though; he is not getting any where near my wife, but if by some chance he does and takes a swing at her it would not end well for him.

Attacking a woman with (ordinarily) third-degree assault (punching/slapping) could be considered 2nd degree assault ("severe bodily injury") because of the pregnant state of the woman. Any injury, even being pushed down a flight of stairs could do life-altering damage. I am not a lawyer, but in my book this justifies the use of deadly force to prevent such an attack.

Also, most states have laws on the books that cover feticide or the killing of an unborn child. See this link.

Lastly, I don't know of ANY state that does not allow you to protect your family in the case of deadly force that is being used or about to be used against you or your immediately family. I don't think there's a jury in this world who could convict someone of making an honest attempt at protecting their pregnant wife, even if it involved deadly force.

JT
    Immediate Defense of Life
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i'm sorry to ignore the fact that she is pregnant but it makes little difference to me...if anyone attacks my wife...pregnant or not...in my presence they will deal with serious repercussion from myself and it will not be pretty...

stepping between the 2 would mean you saw an attack coming...my interpretation of the op was they stop to converse...possibly argue and a strike is made...unless you see it coming you may not be able to prevent an attack...but stop and eliminate the threat is a real plan and you would have a difficult time pulling me off of anyone who laid hand on my wife...they are welcome to enter my space and challenge me...but when they make a move toward the weaker side of this couple they will meet ugly....

i also believe stepping between and placing hand on gun isnt going to be an effective defense...drawing and utilizing a gun in close quarters can be difficult and go the wrong way in a hurry...especially if you are telegraphing the fact that you plan on utilizing the gun....if youre gonna get between them you need to do it in order to create space and theres no reason a significant amount of damage cannot be done in the process before gun use is even considered...think about what you would do if you didnt have a gun first...is it effective?...then it is your plan...

i am less concerned with a juries reaction than the safety of my wife and driving my point home...

Although not required, I would think retreating is a good idea in this case because it creates the necessary space such that if the attacker pursues, you at least have a few extra moments to draw, and weapon retention wouldn't be as big of a problem.

If a guy tried to draw on me within 3 feet, I could easily grab the gun and most likely take it from him. At 12-ft, he could get a round or two off.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Was this really necessary? The OP brought up a very good topic for conversation, so what's your point?
    My point? What ended up happening? Nothing is what I'm a willing to bet. He goes off like Rambo, but in the end nothing did happen. So you just go about your way. Why not try to be friendly and be on your way instead of expecting the worse to happen ALL THE TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    My point? What ended up happening? Nothing is what I'm a willing to bet. He goes off like Rambo, but in the end nothing did happen. So you just go about your way. Why not try to be friendly and be on your way instead of expecting the worse to happen ALL THE TIME.
    He nodded, I nodded that was the end, I went my way and he continued on his. The thought of him doing anything other than that didnt cross my mind until later. Im not worried about it ever happening because I highly doubt it will. Im also prepared in the event it ever does happen whether it be him or some stranger! Your point was in no way necessary because yes it was off topic. The point of this situation was legal advice and simply just something for others who have family, whom of which they want to protect, to talk about.
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    In this case, no, nothing happened. But the OP wanted to open a discussion about how others would handle the situation and you basically implied that he's paranoid.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    In this case, no, nothing happened. But the OP wanted to open a discussion about how others would handle the situation and you basically implied that he's paranoid.
    He's not alone.

on the other hand, you can't do a thing for your child if you're doing 25 to life.

Anybody "attacks" my wife, pregnant or not, has to go through me first. Get in the habit of putting yourself between your wife and any potential threats.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Anybody "attacks" my wife, pregnant or not, has to go through me first. Get in the habit of putting yourself between your wife and any potential threats.
    Exactly. Why should the fact that the person is pregnant make a difference?

Michael

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links