How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife

This is a discussion on How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so the other day my wife and I were in wally-world and as we are leaving we run into her ex. A little backround....she ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife

OK, so the other day my wife and I were in wally-world and as we are leaving we run into her ex. A little backround....she has a child with him and he has a violent past which has jepordized(spelling?) the life of his child while she was pregnant...I myself would like to have a few rounds in a cage with him but newayz....My wife is now full term in her pregnancy with our child have a scheduled c-section for next thurs the 19th The first thing that came to mind was what if this fool tried something on my wife....say he punch her in the stomach..now as much as i would want to ventalate his body at that point, I feel I would be outta line to even present at that point. At that point I could take the chance while his attention is toward her to grab him and comence to beating the crap out of him....now my question is lol how would ne of you react....cleary his action would put my child in danger and if hit hard enough could cause some serious injury if not death to my child not to mention the injury inflicted upon my wife....could i legally take his life for being in fear of my childs life?? say he continues to attack???
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Problem is will the courts where you live consider the unborn child a life? That's the whole prolife/prochoice debate isn't it? of course you of the father won't care about the debate. To you it is your child to be and a life to protect, but some hot shot prosecutor will argue you were defending no ones life, it was just a punch to the stomach. A reasonable jury may see it your way. This is all after the fact though.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Sponsor
    Due to his known past history, you were in fear of her life and would be protecting the life of your wife and unborn child. Since you were in the presence of mind that his actions would cause death to either, upon his approach, you block his way to your wife, put one hand on your weapon ready to draw and forcefully yell "STOP". If he didn't get a clear picture of your next action and continued to approach, procede to your next action. If he did stop, situation averted.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

VIP Member
    I've shielded my wife before. Nothing even close to drawing. I just stand between the point of my concern and her. Once was a personal acquaintance where it was obvious that I was going to address the conversation (not her), and the other times were just folks I don't trust, and I just casually stand between her and the percieved threat (no conversation, nor acknowledgement). In either case, they have to go through me to get to her, which puts all my personal freedoms, tools and training at my disposal. 'Same concept as putting myself next to the street when we're walking down the sidewalk.

So what did the EX do? Nothin, that is what I thought. :)
    Just stay home, don't leave your home, everybody is after you, your not safe, lock the doors, put the sofa up against the door, it's not safe out there.

Yea BigArn it was a hypothetical situation, just a thought. I dont worry bout that and in the event anything is to ever happen to me or my family I know that I at least have a fighting chance to defend myself and family....hence the reason I carry and prolly why you carry..if you do. If not then I understand why you would rather "Just stay home, don't leave your home, everybody is after you, your not safe, lock the doors, put the sofa up against the door"

Did you see the state video when you got your North Carolina CHP? If so do you remember the segment on using deadly force when there was a record of past violence?

NC has some detailed laws in that regard.

I teach the NC class so feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Senior Moderator
    Unborn child's life aside, punching a pregnant woman in the stomach for the purpose of doing damage to the baby can INDEED cause SEVERE damage to the mother and can be life threatening. Her placenta can separate from the uterine wall causing internal bleeding. Her uterus could tear. She could go into labor. It could break ribs from the baby being pushed up into the chest cavity. There are SO MANY THINGS that can happen when a full term, pregnant woman is assaulted that can be life threatening.

Honestly, as a mother, I would EXPECT my husband to defend my life if I couldn't do it myself not to mention the life of my unborn child. Whether legally defined as a living child by the state or not I know what I believe and what my husband believes about life and I'm going to defend it. And getting punched or kicked or even tapped in the stomach when full-term is very painful, not to mention you are super off balance and a woman's body just doesn't work the way it does when it's not pregnant.

An attack on a pregnant woman is an attack on her life. She is in a very vulnerable and fragile point in her life and any number of complications could mean her life. I don't think any jury in the country would find it hard to forgive my husband for ventilating a man who attacked me with intent to do harm to our unborn child.

Yes Bullseye correct me if im wrong.....i cant just shoot him because i know he has been violent in the past.....i have to feel like i am in imminent danger of grave bodily harm. Now at the same time.....im sayin im worried about him killing me or my wife etc... But i know his temper and anything is possible with him which is why im constantly running scenarios through my mind.....this one in paticular i was concerned with the life of my unborn child not really mine or my wifes because i feel like either of us could defend ourself in that type of situation....im just wondering the legality of deadly force in an effort to prevent loss of life in my child...i dont know exactly how fragile one is while in the womb but i would say that a hard enough blow which ne man i feel is capable of delivering could kill that child especially if hit in the head whereas their skulls arent even fully covering the brain yet

I would not punch an 'ex' attacking my pregnant wife...I would 'ventilate' him.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Usually I don't take these what ifs all that seriously so I want to make it crystal clear that the following response is 100% serious.

Touch my wife and you're dead I don't care who else dies (including me) you are not going home.

I return you now to your regularly scheduled thread

I would put myself between my wife and child prior to anything happening. He would have to go through me to attack her.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

See now Treo, if you'd just intervene in other people's affairs more often you wouldn't have all that pent up aggression against someone who touches you wife
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Unborn child's life aside, punching a pregnant woman in the stomach for the purpose of doing damage to the baby can INDEED cause SEVERE damage to the mother and can be life threatening. Her placenta can separate from the uterine wall causing internal bleeding. Her uterus could tear. She could go into labor. It could break ribs from the baby being pushed up into the chest cavity. There are SO MANY THINGS that can happen when a full term, pregnant woman is assaulted that can be life threatening.

Honestly, as a mother, I would EXPECT my husband to defend my life if I couldn't do it myself not to mention the life of my unborn child. Whether legally defined as a living child by the state or not I know what I believe and what my husband believes about life and I'm going to defend it. And getting punched or kicked or even tapped in the stomach when full-term is very painful, not to mention you are super off balance and a woman's body just doesn't work the way it does when it's not pregnant.

An attack on a pregnant woman is an attack on her life. She is in a very vulnerable and fragile point in her life and any number of complications could mean her life. I don't think any jury in the country would find it hard to forgive my husband for ventilating a man who attacked me with intent to do harm to our unborn child.
    Lima said it. My thoughts exactly. I practically went into defense mode just thinking about this.

Agreed w/ LimaTunes. Your wife and child would be in danger should the ex start something physical.
    I don't know NC's laws. You need to know them. In FL, I can protect myself and others from death or grave bodily injury, including and especially when it is my wife and child.

With the history, you know what this guy can do. Make sure you don't overreact; but don't underreact either.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links