Road partially blocked last night (kind of long)

This is a discussion on Road partially blocked last night (kind of long) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At nearly midnight, my son and I had to make a run to Wal-Mart for his wife, my daughter-in-law, who had a baby 2 weeks ...

Thread: Road partially blocked last night (kind of long)

Road partially blocked last night (kind of long)

At nearly midnight, my son and I had to make a run to Wal-Mart for his wife, my daughter-in-law, who had a baby 2 weeks ago. They live out in the woods of Tenn, so lots of isolated back roads.

On our return, as we rounded a curve, the road was partially blocked by a Ford pickup askew in the road, partially in the weeds on the right, and hanging over the center on the left (about a 30 degree angle). No lights. Engine off.

He stopped, and remembering all the scenarios (1 in FL, where I hail from) of carjackings, I had him back up. It was a LONG way around to get back to his house. And, we weren't sure what was going on. I was scanning the area for any sign of movement the whole time we were out there.

We called out to see if there was anyone in the truck. No answer. After a few minutes, I got out, with my light, to get a plate number. Again, I called out. This time I got a response-unintelligible-from inside the cab of the pickup. I got close enough to get the plate, then had my son call it in. In the meantime, I am hearing someone inside the truck say something, but couldn't understand it at first. Eventually, I figured out he is probably saying, "Get the hell out of here." Then the door opened partially, a hand and arm came out for a moment (and my adrenaline spiked at that point, thinking the guy is coming out), then went back in, and the door closed. I called out, asking if he needed help and got an unintelligible response.

We were pretty sure at this point that the driver is either bombed or ill, most likely the first. Dispatch indicated that the SO is on the way.

In what was probably only 5 minutes, the first LEO arrived. He approached the truck carefully. He eventually talked the driver out of the pickup, had him stand alongside the truck (which he seemed to have to hold onto in order to not fall down), while patting him down.

The second SO car arrived in another few minutes. Eventually they cuffed the driver, led him to the back of the first unit, then returned to search the truck.

Turns out the driver was a "regular." According to the 2nd deputy, "This is not his first rodeo."

We ended up having to drive all the way around to the kids' house anyway, while they waited on the tow truck to take the guy's pickup.

My takeaways from this:

You never know when you are going to run into 'stuff.' My first reaction (because of reading too many threads?) was some kind of ambush. I feel a little silly about it, but only because nothing like that happened.

Always have a good light. It helped to get the plate, and to see if there was movement in the truck.

Call it in and let the professionals sort it out.

My son felt bad about calling it in when we found out the guy was drunk. My opinion is that he is driving down the road on which my granddaughter plays. I want him sober or not driving. Period. I choose to make sure he's off the road.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Sounds like you did good, glad it worked out foryou. At night on country roads it can be a little spooky when you come up on a vehicle.

VIP Member
    Why did you get out of your car to get the plate? If you couldn't see it from the safety of your car you still could call in the situation to the sheriff's office while remaining more safely in your vehicle. You could also have backed up some distance to prevent an ambush. Maybe even turned around and driven a few hundred yards away to wait for the SO.

"After a few minutes, I got out, with my light, to get a plate number. Again, I called out. This time I got a response-unintelligible-from inside the cab of the pickup. I got close enough to get the plate, then had my son call it in." I think this was not the safest move. I'd have turned around or backed away and called it in and gotten "outa" there unless the SO asked me to remain nearby.

From the situation as described, the best it could have been was a disabled vehicle abandoned by a driver who walked for help. Second best, suddenly ill driver needing help. But at that hour they just need to wait for the sheriff.

Drunk and crazy (the actual case), and ambush were the other two options.

Why not just get away at least a safe distance?

Why did you get out of your car to get the plate? If you couldn't see it from the safety of your car you still could call in the situation to the sheriff's office while remaining more safely in your vehicle.
    My comment too, but other than that, good for getting a drunk off the streets
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    My son felt bad about calling it in when we found out the guy was drunk. My opinion is that he is driving down the road on which my granddaughter plays. I want him sober or not driving. Period. I choose to make sure he's off the road.
    I think your son needs a gut check. No offense intended.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good job!

You alerted the on-duty constabulary, who have the statutory authority to intervene in the situation, and helped your fellow man, or woman as the case may be. You also learned a lesson or two, or at least had your knowledge reinforced. I'd say that helping to get a drunk off the road qualifies as a significant help to those around you.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 12th, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    My comment too, but other than that, good for getting a drunk off the streets
    CT, this won't mean much to most posters here but perhaps you'll know the lay of the land I'm talking of.
    I ran into almost the same situation many years ago on rt-- 82 about where you turn to The Hopyard. Pretty scary stuff.
    No cell phones back then either. We just got "outathere" fast, fearing an ambush.

I think I missed the line where he said he called 911...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1. Absolutely nothing to feel bad about regarding getting a drunk driver off the road. Not a single ever-lovin thing.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Good job getting another drunk driver off the road!
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    CT, this won't mean much to most posters here but perhaps you'll know the lay of the land I'm talking of.
    I ran into almost the same situation many years ago on rt-- 82 about where you turn to The Hopyard. Pretty scary stuff.
    No cell phones back then either. We just got "outathere" fast, fearing an ambush.
    I can count on one hand the number of times i've been on Rte-82 on one hand but yeah there's not much out there lol. I ran into something similar out int he woods in Westford/Ashford. I was out there alone doing some work...I see a truck in the distance and i'm like.... "If I die here, it will be days before i'm found"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

@Hopyard, You are right. As I was getting out of the car I was thinking I probably shouldn't be doing this. I was playing the odds...that 99 times out of 100 it will be nothing other than what it turned out to be. Obviously, the chickens do come home to roost sometimes.

To all, most of the time I spend on the road is in FL, in urban/suburban areas. LOTS of people around. The biggest threat it seems would be road rage. Out here, I know that there are lots of areas with no one around...except the folks cooking meth in the woods. Would not have been a good situation had something been going down-late at night, and the folks in the dark with the huge tactical advantage.

Thanks for the comments.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree with SIXTO 100%!

Why on earth would your son feel bad for a drunk driver? Ask him please and remind him of your thought about the road passing by his yard where his daughter and your granddaughter plays.

Links