The Drive Home - Page 9

The Drive Home

This is a discussion on The Drive Home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ppkheat I've posted this link before, but here it is again, it's a similar situation as described in the OP http://www.theshootist.net/2009/01/o...-perry_12.html Yup ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Drive Home

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I've posted this link before, but here it is again, it's a similar situation as described in the OP

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/01/o...-perry_12.html
    Yup beat me to it^^^^ get out yell ONCE for the BG to get off if not.... BANG BANG BANG BANG... i'm not a LEO I don't have to give an attacker commands and a choice to stop a criminal attack that he/she has already started to comment.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

TVJ
    This is a clear case of acceptable lethal force applied immediately.

Close distance, from side, backstop is ground, temple aimed shots until perp stops moving. Check for Perp friends around. After, summon help with officer radio. Perform first aid/neck restraint/CPR on officer if necessary, hopefully not.

The officer's life is in dire jeopardy and he is overpowered. What is unclear about the need to immediately neutralize perp. This one is really obvious. As stated earlier: Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy. All three, right there, right now......

Calling on phone first increases jeopardy to officer. Using MMA, Jujitsu, chokes, kicks...seems Jackie Chan movie-ish to me. Hey, more power to you if you think you can or feel you have training. Seems like an awesome backup plan if gun fails.

However, it appears highly inefficient to me given this situations need for immediate speed and perp neutralization.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Your on your way home alone from work/function/etc in the city. You are equipped with your normal EDC. It is around 2330 on a Wednesday night and traffic is very light. The road is a typical four lane boulevard with a left turn lane in the center. Up ahead you see a marked patrol car stopped on the right side of the road with its emergency lights on and another vehicle in front of it in what appears to be a traffic stop.

As you draw near, you see a uniformed officer on the ground on his back. His feet are toward you on the grass parkway and his upper body is on the sidewalk. There is a large male atop the officer pummeling him. Adjacent to the sidewalk is a large grass area fronting some sort of business building about thirty yards back that is all dark. As you slow you see the officer trying to ward off blows with his arms as the male continues to pummel him.

You stop and as you exit your vehicle, you hear no sirens or fast approaching vehicles and see no other vehicles in sight. As you round the front of your vehicle, you are about ten feet from the male and the officer. Neither the officer or the male atop the officer, who has his back to you, shows any awareness of your presence and he continues to pummel the officer whose resistance appears to be weakening.

What do you do?
    I would go inside his patrol car and push his emergency button on the radio then go hands on with the BG. I carry a large mag light in my car and would use it like a baton to remove the BG off the officer. If the use of deadly force has to happen then it has to happen.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

The use of the large Mag Light "to the head" would most likely be considered deadly force.

Well, without reading it again for 'tricky parts,' Pull past the cars, park, leave engine on.

Call 911 and tell them officer down. (At this point, according to description, I dont even know this for a fact.) Who knows, maybe cop had a heart attack and other guy is attempting CPR or something.

Exit and use passenger car for cover, announce myself, and....and here is a legitimate use of a warning shot IMO....if they dont react or separate, give a warning shot (if area is safe to do so). If they're on top of each other or struggling, I see a big risk in trying to shoot...and I may still not know the whole story just from what I'm able to see.

Possibilities:

• Guy gets cop's gun or has his own. Have to make sure you are positioned safely and using car engine block for cover. Must be prepared to shoot. (And you still probably dont know whole story)
    • Guy stops at warning shot and decides to leave, thus approaching his car and you in front of it. Unless he's armed, you cant shoot and you have to move from in front of the car.
    • Other cops come and there you are with a gun out.
    • Passersby stop and get involved. May get in your line of fire, may cause further aggression, etc.

Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'll add my thoughts on calling 911. I have an iPhone with a keypad lock on it. I have to turn it on, enter the code, pull up the phone, dial 911 and tell them what's going on. That's a lot longer than I want to spend on that. If anything, I'll use the officer's radio to call for help immediately after taking the perp out.
    Um, that sounds very counterproductive. I realize there are good reasons to lock one's phone (altho I never do)....but the likelihood that lives can hinge on an immediate 911 call are more likely than on a gun anyday IMO.

Esp, why do you have to turn it on? Why isnt it already on?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'll add my thoughts on calling 911. I have an iPhone with a keypad lock on it. I have to turn it on, enter the code, pull up the phone, dial 911 and tell them what's going on. That's a lot longer than I want to spend on that. If anything, I'll use the officer's radio to call for help immediately after taking the perp out.
    Actually on the iPhone from the lock screen you can just press the "emergency call" button in the bottom left corner so there is no need to unlock, go to phone and dial 911. Turn on screen, slide finger to unlock, press emergency call button.

Just for fun!

You forgot "under god" in your quote, One Nation Under God.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt1724 View Post

Just for fun!
    Hilarious
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by LEATHERNECK View Post
    You forgot "under god" in your quote, One Nation Under God.
    wasn't that actually added later...if your intent it to be purist?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    wasn't that actually added later...if your intent it to be purist?
    Yes, unfortunately it was added later. Here is Red Skelton's view... which is pretty much on target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce271_i41jY
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Your on your way home alone from work/function/etc in the city. You are equipped with your normal EDC. It is around 2330 on a Wednesday night and traffic is very light. The road is a typical four lane boulevard with a left turn lane in the center. Up ahead you see a marked patrol car stopped on the right side of the road with its emergency lights on and another vehicle in front of it in what appears to be a traffic stop.

As you draw near, you see a uniformed officer on the ground on his back. His feet are toward you on the grass parkway and his upper body is on the sidewalk. There is a large male atop the officer pummeling him. Adjacent to the sidewalk is a large grass area fronting some sort of business building about thirty yards back that is all dark. As you slow you see the officer trying to ward off blows with his arms as the male continues to pummel him.

You stop and as you exit your vehicle, you hear no sirens or fast approaching vehicles and see no other vehicles in sight. As you round the front of your vehicle, you are about ten feet from the male and the officer. Neither the officer or the male atop the officer, who has his back to you, shows any awareness of your presence and he continues to pummel the officer whose resistance appears to be weakening.

What do you do?
    First, how do you know that the BG isnt the guy in the police uniform(maybe he stole it)....Call 911, keep yourself safe, help as much as you can.....if you are in a life-threatening situation, then you are legally able to take action with your handgun.....that being said......once i have a good "bead" on who the players are....BG takes one in head or torso or both and i administer first aid to the good guy.....once he's safe...i help the BG asuming he's not DRT(Dead Right There).

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links