The Drive Home

The Drive Home

This is a discussion on The Drive Home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your on your way home alone from work/function/etc in the city. You are equipped with your normal EDC. It is around 2330 on a Wednesday ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drive Home

The Drive Home

Your on your way home alone from work/function/etc in the city. You are equipped with your normal EDC. It is around 2330 on a Wednesday night and traffic is very light. The road is a typical four lane boulevard with a left turn lane in the center. Up ahead you see a marked patrol car stopped on the right side of the road with its emergency lights on and another vehicle in front of it in what appears to be a traffic stop.

As you draw near, you see a uniformed officer on the ground on his back. His feet are toward you on the grass parkway and his upper body is on the sidewalk. There is a large male atop the officer pummeling him. Adjacent to the sidewalk is a large grass area fronting some sort of business building about thirty yards back that is all dark. As you slow you see the officer trying to ward off blows with his arms as the male continues to pummel him.

You stop and as you exit your vehicle, you hear no sirens or fast approaching vehicles and see no other vehicles in sight. As you round the front of your vehicle, you are about ten feet from the male and the officer. Neither the officer or the male atop the officer, who has his back to you, shows any awareness of your presence and he continues to pummel the officer whose resistance appears to be weakening.

What do you do?

Distinguished Member
    Just reading this quickly without a whole lotta thought, I think I would have laid on the horn inside my vehicle, giving myself a way out, and called 911. Then unholsterd my gun.

The idea would be to make noise to perhaps encourage bg to leave and get help on the way while protecting myself.

Is this not enough? I am wondering as I type.

VIP Member
    Without a second thought, help the officer. Check surroundings to make sure no further suspects or not walking into a ambush. No need for a firearm at this point get bad guy off of good guy using whatever means possible to stop the attack.
    Subdue and hold suspect if possible if not get him off the officer and he can run as far as I am concerned, if he decides to use force against me he has demonstrated his ability and willingness to use force on a trained law enforcement officer so under Arkansas law I must have the ability to retreat in COMPLETE SAFETY or I dont have to retreat therefore I would not retreat and use whatever force needed to protect myself and the downed officer.
    At the first safe moment, if the officer had not already get on radio simply call out officer down and the location and you would see lots of pretty lights coming.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Your scenario hits too close to home. This past January, a Gilbert, AZ police lieutenant was murdered after pulling a car over for a minor equipment defect. The passenger in the car jumped out and shot Lt. Eric Shuhandler in the head.

Citizens in the area heard the shots and saw the officer down and used the radio in his cruiser to report what had happened and to summon help. The bad guys led cops from several towns, at least 2 counties plus Highway Patrol on a 50-mile chase before they were captured.

A matter of seconds separated the arrival of the concerned citizens from the departure of the murderers. If any had been armed, well... who knows.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...dler03271.html

In the scenario you paint, immediate action is required to save the officer from grave bodily harm. I would draw my weapon as I neared them and yell at the BG in the best command voice I can muster to stop or I'll shoot. If he stops, great, if not I'm moving in close for a shot that will stop the BG but not harm the cop. If he disengages and runs, fine, I've helped stop the assault and that's good enough.

In my current condition with a severe back problem I have neither the strength nor the agility to engage in a wrestling match with the BG to get him off the cop, but since I perceive that the BG is using deadly force (his fists) against a downed officer that's all I need in my mind to draw my weapon.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Bang Bang Bang...Bang Bang.

I feared for his life. The jerk went for the officers gun. I had no choice. I hated to do it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, here is what we are dealing with right now in this area. The murder trial of a guy that beat and shot NCHP officer David Blanton Jr. He shot the officer with his own gun BTW.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/conten...election/news/

I'm skipping the wrestling or going hands on. The BG has already proven he can take a cop down. Weapon drawn and the BG has a few seconds, maybe, to decide how this ends. Either the distraction will let the LEO get the upper hand, he'll stop on his own, or he'll stop with assistance. There are few instances where I would intervene in a situation that had already started. But this is one.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Bang Bang Bang...Bang Bang.

I feared for his life. The jerk went for the officers gun. I had no choice. I hated to do it...
    And it's HotGuns in for the win!

Works for me!

As I was reading through the scenario, I was thinking to myself, I'd slip up behind him since he's oblivious to my presence and place him in a level 3 Lateral Vascular Neck Restraint and render him unconscious in about 3 - 5 seconds since I'm trained in that technique and the placement of the aggressor is in a near perfect presentation to apply it.

However, after reading HotGuns response, I saw how that would be an equally good way to end things. Plus, I wouldn't have to spill my beer. (just kidding)

And after chiefjason's remarks I suddenly realize I'm now damn near 50 years old and the guy has already proven he can take down a cop, and it suddenly makes HotGun's solution even more appropriate the older I get.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If he is oblivious to me I will just walk up behind him and put a bullet in his head.

I want to minimize danger to the officer, and other uninvolved citizens. I also want to be sure of my backstop. Fearing for the officer's safety and well-being makes this a justified shoot as far as I'm concerned. Now it becomes a question of tactics and for that I will use what I consider the best tactics for all concerned.

Of course there is no telling what I would do in real life, as this hasn't happened to me yet and I pray that it never does.

Biker

Why not just pull up next to them in your car and shoot the BG thru the passenger side window?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Why not just pull up next to them in your car and shoot the BG thru the passenger side window?
    Here's why:

I want to minimize danger to the officer, and other uninvolved citizens. I also want to be sure of my backstop.
    It's hard to miss a contact shot, but so easy to miss when you are shaking like someone suffering DT's and urine running down your leg.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Here's why:

It's hard to miss a contact shot, but so easy to miss when you are shaking like someone suffering DT's and urine running down your leg.

Biker
    +1
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with shooting him, except he is on top of the officer; I would be worried about over penetration. I would not hesitate to help but going for my gun wouldn't be first option unless he was trying to get the officers gun. I am in ok shape and if nothing else I could pull him off long enough for the officer to get the upper hand unless he is already injured.
    As always on scene details would dictate what I would actually do but no matter what I'm going to help the officer.

I'm 5'6" 140lbs and 52 years old...I'll call 911 and if some type of distraction or other "available" weapon doesn't work, he's getting shot. No hand to hand crap for me.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I'm not going hands on,even if I. wasn't disabled,if he happens to have the Officer beat to the point he isn't gonna be much help physically you may be overpowered,or as you run up he disarms officer and shoots you.If I fear Officer is in danger since BG will probaboly be straddling Officer I'm lining up the Big dot sights where it's gonna do the most help
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Maybe make sure the BG has no one else with him first.....make some noise and call 911 wit my left hand as I un holster with my right...just in case things go south I want SOMEONE on the way. I'd rather order the BG off the officer so I don't have to risk hurting the officer. if he doesn't comply get close enough where I have no worry whatsoever of hurting the officer if I have to shoot the BG. I don't think I can stand by and watch as an officer obviously loosing the fight is being pummeled.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links