Book worth reading

Book worth reading

This is a discussion on Book worth reading within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We'll I admit I have not read books by noted defense authors like Ayoub or Grossman ( both spelled wrong) but I did read the ...

Book worth reading

We'll I admit I have not read books by noted defense authors like Ayoub or Grossman ( both spelled wrong) but I did read the book by Gavin DeBecker " The Gift of Fear" I saw it used on amazon for $5.00 I highly recommend this book at least the first three chapters. Talks about people seeing things that are just not right and being aware of surroundings . Like guys in hot weather wearing long heavy coats, tatics bad guys use to lure you into trusting them and how some bad guys are experts at pretending they are someting that they are not. It is a MUST for women to read. Does not replace books on self defense from other good authors. One more point of view about the world we live in. I loaned it to some one and can't remember who so I'm looking for another copy. You won't be sorry you read it.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I've recommended that book many times.. Be warned, he seems to be a bit liberal leaning (Oprah has had him on several times, and she recommends the book) .. .and yet he runs a security company. Maybe he doesn't think folks should protect themselves, just hire pros...

I'd really like to read his book Just 2 Seconds... but @ $58 too pricey and not available at any library that I can find... even for my Kindle it's $25.oo
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    ... book by Gavin DeBecker " The Gift of Fear" I saw it used on amazon for $5.00 I highly recommend this book at least the first three chapters. Talks about people seeing things that are just not right and being aware of surroundings .
    Overall, he's got quite a number of theories I just don't quite agree with. His two books covering the topic have many sheep-isms as part of the mantra. But his pointers on situational awareness and tapping into one's surroundings are first-rate. Lots of good tips in there for the average person. Well worth the read.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't get too anxious about the long coat thing. It's broad daylight, 90 degrees, humidity 90%+, heat index well over 100, and every other kid is walking around in a "hoodie" with the top up. I'm beginning to think fashion makes people stupid. I guess having the butt hanging out of the pants is a form of heat relief.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I can't get too anxious about the long coat thing.
    You shouldn't. People wear all kinds of crazy stuff. The Situational Awareness Matrix is kind of like a point system. If a person is dressed inappropriately to his or her surroundings, that's a point. So what else do we have going on?

Person of Interest (POI) is sweating profusely - another point.

POI is standing around, loitering, aimless, not in "the flow" of activity - another point.

POI keeps touching something under a garment or in a pocket - point.

POI is mumbling, talking to self, chanting or repeating something - point.

POI is in a defensive position, back to wall, at a chokepoint, strategically placed - point.

And so forth. As the points rack up, you start to pay attention and focus on the POI and, if prudent, you start to take up a defensive position of your own where you can observe while checking your own options. The SA Matrix works like that, but of course it's all happening fast and intuitively - you aren't actually ticking things off a list, rather, you're reacting to the unusual and picking up on clues that something is amiss.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I too have read this book and would recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to leave their safety up to other. I have heard that the author is a liberal that favors gun control but I don't remember that being a big issue in the book. But there are things that can be learned. If you can spare the time, it's worth the $5.00.

I just added it to my Amazon cart. Thanks for the tip. Another great read is actually a blog that someone wrote where he talks about all kinds of real life situations down in Argentina where the economy collapsed back in 2001. Crime has gotten out of control and he discusses a range of subjects including crime, pistol vs revolver (real-world stuff, not hypothetical) etc. I highly recommend it to EVERYONE to read because I feel we are headed down that same path here in the good ole USA, plus, it's FREE!

NOTE: Scroll down to the beginning of the actual article where it says "THOUGHTS ON URBAN SURVIVAL" http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/t...ival-2005.html

I too have, liked and suggest the book.
    Another is 'Protecting the Gift'; https://www.gavindebecker.com/index....ting_the_gift/

I too have been wanting to get Just 2 Seconds, for months now, but as noted by others no library nowhere has it and there is zero discount that I can find on it.
    I've decided though last week to go ahead and purchase it anyway as a birthday gift to myself....Looking at it as being a personal investment, as I do the expensive duty ammo I keep and carry for same.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links