What recourse do you have?!?! - Page 2

What recourse do you have?!?!

This is a discussion on What recourse do you have?!?! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We can carry in banks. No metal detectors or plexiglass but its a real small town bank...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What recourse do you have?!?!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    We can carry in banks. No metal detectors or plexiglass but its a real small town bank

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    We can carry in banks. No metal detectors or plexiglass but its a real small town bank
    Small town, nothing. I've never even seen that in Dallas. Then again, I've never been to any of the banks downtown.

As far as the OP situation:

As in all these scenarios, my response will be based on my reading of the man's demeanor, whether he's pointing the gun at my daughter, and many other factors. Given certain details, it may be sufficient to talk to the guy and let him know that nobody is going to stop him from taking the money and that he needs to let the girl go. Keep him calm so he doesn't panic and hurt her.

That being said, it's highly unlikely that once he took the hostage that he would willingly let her go before exiting the building. That's what hostages are for. No matter what, though, he's not leaving with my daughter.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Most of you have said that you would shoot...this is my response too. I hadn't thought of a code word, but I wouldn't want to rely on my child doing something under duress, as stated before. I know the chances are slim, but they are still possible. Most of the banks around here do not have "no gun" signs and it is legal to carry there, So as always, I do. I have not been in a bank that has metal detectors either. It also brings to mind the need to get my kids self defense training starting when they are young, as well. Thanks for the thoughts all!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I would be a good witness..........
    Just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Does anybody have a code word for their kids to duck or drop to the floor in any type of situation that it could be useful such as this. If/when I have kids I would like to think I would be able to shout something as I'm drawing and she would drop to the floor giving me a bigger target picture.
    No, but I told them if they see me going for my gun to cover their ears and get small. It's a chance I'll take to try and keep from deafening my kids. To be honest, I said it somewhat joking at first. But my daughter was paying very good attention. I do want to teach them the hostage drop. But they are so small now I can still carry them with one arm. Not sure it would do much good yet.

Unfortunately, NC does not allow me to defend myself in a bank. Other than OC. Put this anywhere else and I'm with Treo. I can't take the chance that he would want to leave with my kids. Kids are too expendable these days.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My oldest knows that if Dad's gun comes out he is to RUN AND HIDE. Not sure how he would react to this situation but he puts up a heck of a fight when I've had to grab him for acting up. I KNOW he would be looking at me to fix the problem and probably screaming enough to distract the BG or make him let go.

I would try to move laterally to see if he could be distracted. Either me or the wife should be able to take the shot although she would probably hesitate.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The code word is a good idea, but as some others have mentioned in this scenario it may do more harm than good. You want to wait until he is distracted enough to allow to draw, aim, and shoot; shouting a code word is going to redirect his focus on you. Ideally your kid would keep their focus on you and drop as soon as your gun comes out, but kids are kids and we can't rely on them in these scenarios. I don't mean that in a negative way at all, I just mean that it is our job to protect them, they are too young to understand how to react in these situations.
    At 6 inches just about his whole head (if not his whole head) is exposed, at five feet thats a do-able (I don't think thats a real word but it is now ) shot. Still with him holding your child between you, I would probably aim high, right about eye level or just above; the odds of him leaving with your child if you do nothing are greater than the odds of you missing 5 inches low (I hope this is true for everyone, if not you need more range time and training).

Simpler solution, donít have kids.
    Talk about rock and a hard place. If youíre on the ground, might it not be easier to shoot the assailant in the leg when there not looking.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Simpler solution, don’t have kids.
    Talk about rock and a hard place. If you’re on the ground, might it not be easier to shoot the assailant in the leg when there not looking.
    Aiming for peoples limbs is usually a catastrophic idea for the following reasons. You will probably miss, in this situation there are people likely 360 degrees around the robber, and it likely won't STOP the robbers actions. If you're going to shoot, shoot to stop the threat. In this case it probably means into the guys face/throat/chest, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Aiming for peoples limbs is usually a catastrophic idea for the following reasons. You will probably miss, in this situation there are people likely 360 degrees around the robber, and it likely won't STOP the robbers actions. If you're going to shoot, shoot to stop the threat. In this case it probably means into the guys face/throat/chest, as usual.
    True under most circumstances, however at the angle of you on the ground and the hostage standing in front, the angle will not give you a shot at anything else, so if one is married to the course of action of shooting I don’t see any other option. Hence why it might be easier to shoot at the leg, because of the angles there is a good chance it will be the biggest and most vital thing you see.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    True under most circumstances, however at the angle of you on the ground and the hostage standing in front, the angle will not give you a shot at anything else, so if one is married to the course of action of shooting I don’t see any other option. Hence why it might be easier to shoot at the leg, because of the angles there is a good chance it will be the biggest and most vital thing you see.
    The robber will likely be moving and giving you different angles. It would be prudent to wait for the first best line of fire available where your shots would be most effective. Shooting someone in the leg who has a gun to my daughters head is at the far bottom of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    The robber will likely be moving and giving you different angles. It would be prudent to wait for the first best line of fire available where your shots would be most effective. Shooting someone in the leg who has a gun to my daughters head is at the far bottom of the list.
    I’m reading the situation different then you, he has the other daughter collecting up the wallets and cash from the clerks, and he is holding the first daughter hostage five feet away from you. So I don’t see him as moving I see him as by the door, holding his ground. Of course I am not also married to the idea of shooting in the scenario. But I am married to the idea I will not have spawn to shoot around.

I’m reading the situation different then you, he has the other daughter collecting up the wallets and cash from the clerks, and he is holding the first daughter hostage five feet away from you. So I don’t see him as moving I see him as by the door, holding his ground. Of course I am not also married to the idea of shooting in the scenario. But I am married to the idea I will not have spawn to shoot around.
    Each person has their own idea of what the BG will be doing. They must plan for that action in every scenario, but try to envision every possibility...moving or not moving, pointing gun at child or not. Just remember that "no plan survives contact...intact". There really are no hard and fast rules to combat unless you have been there, done that and know FOR SURE what you will do, but there will ALWAYS be variables! Plan, Practice and being prepared are the only things you can do.

Sandman

P.S. AH you may be married to the idea of no "spawn" and I wish you luck with that, but I am living proof that stuff happens...my mom had her tubes cut and tied...three years before I was born.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

6 inch cranial target - 5 feet away - holding my kid at gunpoint. Of course shoot him the BG in the head. Any other choice is unimaginable.

Pardon me for pointing out the insanely obvious

But this guy's in a bank . We're looking at a haul of thousands of Dollars (there are 8 teller windows at my bank I'm guessing over a thousand at each one)

Why is he dicking around w/ wallets?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links