What recourse do you have?!?!

This is a discussion on What recourse do you have?!?! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are out with your daughters and stop at the bank to pull some money out for the days plans. You are standing last in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What recourse do you have?!?!

You are out with your daughters and stop at the bank to pull some money out for the days plans. You are standing last in line and there are 6 people ahead of you and your 7 and 12 year old daughters are talking just behind you about 4 feet away in the small bank.
    A man with a pistol and a bag comes through the doors very quickly, grabbing your oldest in a one arm choke hold so she can't get away as she is closest to the door and yells "DROP ALL YOUR WALLETS AND GET ON THE GROUND!!!" and then orders your other daughter to take the bag and pick up the wallets and get the money from the bank tellers also telling them if the cops come he starts shooting starting with your daughters!

Your daughter is relatively tall and the guy is only about 6 inches taller. The man and your daughter are only about 5 feet from you and you have your EDC

You hear a faint siren in the distance through his yelling...
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Aiming for the bridge of his nose when he is distracted. At 5 ft I will not miss.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    That would be a parents worst nightmare. I don't know what I would do with that given situation.

Turn so my strong side is away from him so he doesnt see me draw. The second he looks away I draw and fire. Confident I will not miss by 6" at that range

First, the odds of this ever happening are vanishing small, to the point that it would take an act of God for this scenario to ever come to pass. That said, my one, hard, fast rule in life is " If you attack my family you're dead." I'd take the first shot that presented itsself.

And I'd pray to God that my daughter would have the brains not to yell "Shoot him daddy , shoot him!"

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Does anybody have a code word for their kids to duck or drop to the floor in any type of situation that it could be useful such as this. If/when I have kids I would like to think I would be able to shout something as I'm drawing and she would drop to the floor giving me a bigger target picture.

I like having a code word, that's a pretty good idea.

And as Treo said, as unlikely as that situation is, should I ever find myself in that situation either the criminal or I am going to end up dead. He may have had the element of surprise when he stormed in, but the situation changes after that. He's played his cards and everyone sees them. I still have one up my sleeve, and that plays to my advantage. As soon as I have a shot he's a dead man.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Does anybody have a code word for their kids to duck or drop to the floor in any type of situation that it could be useful such as this. If/when I have kids I would like to think I would be able to shout something as I'm drawing and she would drop to the floor giving me a bigger target picture.
    Along those lines, depending on the age of the child, I would suggest something that the child could easily relate to under stress, but would be undescernable to the offender. I would not like something like "Drop", as if it were not immediately recognized by the child, it might allow the offender to take action against it. I would prefer something like, "London bridges" that would communicate falling down (drop) to the child but be unrecognizable to the offender.

I would be in a tough spot. Im scared of having my weapon confiscated for CCL rules violations. I dont take it into banks, schools, gov buildings, etc.

On that note, wouldnt your gun set off the detector at the door?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWeelgun View Post
    I would be in a tough spot. Im scared of having my weapon confiscated for CCL rules violations. I dont take it into banks, schools, gov buildings, etc.

It's not illegal to carry concealed (with a CHL) in banks in Florida. http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post

The only thing I can control in a situation like this is my actions. Therefore, I don’t want to train to a response that is predicated on what someone else (my kid) does.

Odds are the second that robber grabs her that kid’s higher brain function is going to shut off and she is going to turn into a panic stricken, mind numbed, little zombie. Unless you have drilled her until it’s a conditioned response she’s likely not going to do anything no matter what you yell. Then what?

IMO yelling is only going to make you the focus of the robber’s attention while you’re trying to catch him off guard.

Well that's your place. Here in Oklahoma we can carry in banks. My company's clients are banks exclusively, and I carry all the time. I've never seen a metal detector in a bank around here.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well that's your place. Here in Oklahoma we can carry in banks. My company's clients are banks exclusively, and I carry all the time. I've never seen a metal detector in a bank around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    It's not illegal to carry concealed (with a CHL) in banks in Florida. http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
    Dang! I guess its just my bank. They have the whole "plexiglass room" with detector before you step foot in the bank. It sucks I cant carry there, but I guess that the BG cant either.

detectors? our banks up here don't have those.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Dang! I guess its just my bank. They have the whole "plexiglass room" with detector before you step foot in the bank. It sucks I cant carry there, but I guess that the BG cant either.
    Holy crap, and people say we carriers are paranoid....
    My blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links