My attempted home invasion yesterday - Page 2

My attempted home invasion yesterday

This is a discussion on My attempted home invasion yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bark'n is right about patrol checks. At a department/station that is at all busy, that could mean from zero to one or two drive-bys per ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My attempted home invasion yesterday

Bark'n is right about patrol checks. At a department/station that is at all busy, that could mean from zero to one or two drive-bys per shift. The best thing about patrol checks is that if you get in IT, their eta "might" be less.

My wife is one of those "Sheep" we all talk about. Her mind set was "this thing happens to OTHER people" now that it has happend to us her whole world is upside down.

When I preached to her in the past about keeping doors locked, and learn how to use a gun she just laughed. Well know she keeps them locked, and wants to learn how to shoot a gun, and get one of her own.

We are going to instal some door/window alarms to give a heads up. We are going to put better doors in and locks.

My wife would have been in bad shape, we have a plan for but I am afraid she will just lock up.

I was surprised at how fast I did respond to the threat all be it might not have been the best way, I did not just sit on my butt waiting for him. I also was happy that even though all I had was my knife on me I was still willing to fight.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    My wife is one of those "Sheep" we all talk about. Her mind set was "this thing happens to OTHER people" now that it has happend to us her whole world is upside down.

When I preached to her in the past about keeping doors locked, and learn how to use a gun she just laughed. Well know she keeps them locked, and wants to learn how to shoot a gun, and get one of her own.

We are going to instal some door/window alarms to give a heads up. We are going to put better doors in and locks.

My wife would have been in bad shape, we have a plan for but I am afraid she will just lock up.

I was surprised at how fast I did respond to the threat all be it might not have been the best way, I did not just sit on my butt waiting for him. I also was happy that even though all I had was my knife on me I was still willing to fight.
    Look, you have a prime opportunity to work on your wife. Don't let the opportunity slip away. Keep on her and get her to the range as soon as possible before her "upside down" feeling fades away, because it will.

Also, plan your upgrades in security carefully. You can go broke in a week if you try to do everything at once. Especially in today's economy. Spend some time and plan which upgrades you want to do first and which are most important. No one I know of has an unlimited cash flow. Your home improvements and fortifications should take time and be spread out over time according to what priorities you both decide on. Make it a project for both of you to work on together. Make some time to set down together in an organized way and plan your upgrade and home defense strategies out together.

Solar powered flood lights with motion sensors are relatively inexpensive. You can find them around $25 - $40 a set and place them under the eaves on the front and back of the house.

New and stronger doors and better locks are much more expensive and should be done as a planned "capital improvement" done on the home probably over a couple of years.

Alarm systems run the gambit from absolute crap and only a "false sense of security" to pretty decent. The thing about alarms is you have to activate them and use them or they are useless. You can't imagine how many people have alarm systems they don't ever use.

Make sure she stays involved and engaged. But it's important to get her to the range as soon as possible. Shooting is fun and she'll likely enjoy herself. It will give her a feeling of power and the wheels will begin to spin in her head as she starts to warm up to the idea. But you should strike while the irons hot.

Good luck! I wish you both well and remind your wife that no one should live in fear. Like anything new, it will take time to let the gun as part of her defensive system grow on her. But remember, shooting is fun. I know very few women who have a bad experience once they get a chance to send some lead down range.

BTW... I used to live just up the road in Collins.

I highly recommend the Strikemaster II Pro door jamb reinforcement for your exterior door frames to prevent kick-in. I know three people who have that and I'll be upgrading my door frames before too long.

I also recommend The Ultimate Lock high security lock for use on your exterior entry doors.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Glad you are ok.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

GLad you're ok and listen to Bark'n about your wife. Now is the perfect time to drive home the importance of her staying out of Condition White.

I am glad that everything turned out OK! I live about an hour east of you. My guess it was someone looking for a easy job to support their meth habit. We had an incident at our house not too long ago. My wife now has a Springfield Armory SD 9 SC.

Let me know if we can be of any help!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Look, you have a prime opportunity to work on your wife. Don't let the opportunity slip away. Keep on her and get her to the range as soon as possible before her "upside down" feeling fades away, because it will.
    Exactly. Strike while the iron is hot. Those feelings of hers will fade. I've seen it happen with a coworker after a traumatic experience.

+1 on getting some alarms on the house, and hardening the entry points.

The doors are one of those things we have been meaning to replace for a while so the money is there for that.
    I am going to get her to the range and try out some guns, she also wants to take some gun/self defense women classes.

Thanks for the info Bark'n some good stuff, and thanks for the support guys.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Don't know if you have multiple weapons but to echo "Pinklady" securing a weapon in more than one room is a good practice. Glad it turned out ok for you and the wife.

Good Job!
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I'm glad you and your family are safe--- My only critique (other than those mentioned) would be to get a bigger dog! A 10# dog will let you know someone is there, but is not likely to be much of a threat to a willful attacker. 2 dogs are better than one, especially when one is BIG.

best wishes.

While others have mentioned initiating traing for your wife. There is another part. She must acquire the will to use whatever pistol she trains with, without hesitation. This can be assisted by conversations/discussions to build the right mindset and shooting human picture targets rather than bullseye targets. Without the willingness, the weapon is useless.

Stopped at home one day , when I never went home for lunch..... and opened the front door to see the things they had stacked in the livingroom to steal.... as they were hightailing it to the back door, with me in pursuit. Almost had him too in the backyard, called police and they caught him 2 blocks away. All of the burglaries in the area, stopped once he went to jail.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Stopped at home one day , when I never went home for lunch..... and opened the front door to see the things they had stacked in the livingroom to steal.... as they were hightailing it to the back door, with me in pursuit. Almost had him too in the backyard, called police and they caught him 2 blocks away. All of the burglaries in the area, stopped once he went to jail.
    What? You mean it wasn't his first time? Inconceivable.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Only Critique here is that you should have headed straight for the shotgun. Then proceeded to investigate/call 911.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links