My attempted home invasion yesterday - Page 3

My attempted home invasion yesterday

This is a discussion on My attempted home invasion yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun first, yell second. And don't let anyone tell you a woman can't handle a Rem 870 12 ga. My wife is pretty small and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My attempted home invasion yesterday

Gun first, yell second.

And don't let anyone tell you a woman can't handle a Rem 870 12 ga. My wife is pretty small and loves hers. She likes shooting it as much or more than her pistol. I had to do some work to it, adjustable stock and shorten barrel to help out with weight and fit. But it's one serious home defense weapon. Oh, and she had never touched a gun till we met. And never seriously shot a gun before 2 yrs ago.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Studies have shown that 99.999% of all home burglaries happen in the home, + or - 0.004% margin for error.

You've been given good advice by Bark'n and Guantes, as well as a few others. I'll only add that making your entry points "harder" will benefit you to an unmeasurable degree. I too think this was a burglary in which the burglar was not expecting anyone to be home. That doesn't make it any less dangerous, as there is no telling what crimes will be committed by the burglar once he or she finds the dwelling occupied.

You can, and should in my opinion, use this time to encourage the spouse and foster her willingness to be prepared. My only advice on that front is to get her training with someone not yourself, or close to the two of you in a personal way. This will do more to help foster that willingness than just taking her out shooting with Uncle Joe or her Brother Billy.

Soon the trepidation that this event gave rise to will pass. With that passing comes your window of opportunity to get her better prepared.

Biker

Your firearm should be on your person, or within reach when you are home. What if the first noise you heard was the door getting kicked in and the intruder running through the kitchen?
    Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    WOW, nice catch. The dog deserves a whole bag of treats and good belly rub for that one.

GM
    Glad you are OK. I think you did everything right.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glad you are OK. Now for some armchair quarterbacking...

The downside of you running toward the backdoor with just a knife could have gotten you shot if the intruder had a weapon. I would have retrieved the 870 and stood behind a door frame or other sturdy barricade within view of the backdoor and dialed 911 explaining that someone was breaking in your house.

The Wednesday night shooting shows on the Outdoor channel with Michael Janich and Rob Pincus have role-played this scene several times and the best case scenerio is to retrieve your weapon, find a sturdy area to get behind and call 911. If the cops get there while he's still breaking in they have a good chance of catching him. If the intruder gets into the house before the police gets there...then you're are properly prepared to defend yourself.
    Proud NRA member

Glad you are ok, I bet you have your firearm with you from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Glad you are ok, I bet you have your firearm with you from now on.
    Yes...yes I do. I realized afterward ya I should have just went and grabbed my 870, but for some reason the thought going through my head was just meet him where he his and stop him.

next time I am going to grab my gun first. and hope to God it goes down the same way.

Bark'n thanks for that info we are going to be ordering new doors first of the week and adding those strike masters, we will get the locks just have to save up for them!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    These days there are a lot of inexpensive security devices on the market. Some work, some are illusion, some are actually fake but look like the real thing. I'm in the process of putting vibration detectors on all my windows. At 2.50 cents each, they are a bargain. Not the same as a wired in monitored system, but hope they will get me a few seconds and also hope that the appearance of precaution taking will send the opportunists elsewhere.
    These are stand alone devices? Got a link?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Stopped at home one day , when I never went home for lunch..... and opened the front door to see the things they had stacked in the livingroom to steal.... as they were hightailing it to the back door, with me in pursuit. Almost had him too in the backyard, called police and they caught him 2 blocks away. All of the burglaries in the area, stopped once he went to jail.
    Who was more scaried you or them?

We were robbed twice in three days. First time had no idea how them got in. Nothing was taken but something was a miss. Just not right type of thing.

2nd time it was a lazy Sunday afternoon rode home with my father from work and we both were sleeping in the car on the driveway. I awake to find my father stepping out of the car and telling me to stay there. Not a good sign. My father awoke to two people wearing hooded sweatshirts riding bicycles up the side of our house. Our neighbor was outside raking leaves. My father told her to call the police. He walks up the side of the house and the "Lookout" was not looking out and my father walked up threw them to the floor and told them if you say a word "I am going to put my foot thru your mouth" They did not say a peep as he dragged (YES Dragged) them by hood of the sweatshirt and a fist full of hair across out backyard. Soild 50 feet. As the second person has exiting the house thru the open window. they to got thrown to the ground while the lookout was under his other foot.

Police show up and arrest our babysitter and her best friend. They had a coffee can full of change and small bills laying around the house. We did not understand their grand plan because she was babysitting the night before and could have taken it the night before.

Turns out the first robber was a down the block neighbor who figured out how to open the same style windows on his house so he thought it would be a good idea to rob the houses in his neighborhood. He confessed to the homes that he broke into even if he did not take anything.

Kenny256, when it comes to shooting and firearms training, there's noting wrong with simply getting her to the range in order to get her some experience pulling the trigger and sending bullets down range. Again, this can be lots of fun. Living in Bolivar, I'm sure you can find friends who have some land where you can shoot out in the county area where you can set up some impromptu targets. Shoot some soda bottles filled with water and something which gives instant feedback for hitting it and provides some animation to your shooting. We merely call this "plinking" and again, great fun and easy to do. Merely using a .22 cal pistol or rifle can really make tin cans and soda bottles filled with water move around.

However, when it comes to defensive firearms shooting and training there is absolutely no substitute for professional training. It is almost always better, as already pointed out, to have someone else train her than yourself. There is something about having ones spouse provide that type of training which often leads to less than desired results. Going out for some plinking and target shooting is one thing, but defensive handgun training is a completely different animal.

Fortunately for you, living in Bolivar, you are close to two very good and professional shooting schools in the area. The first one is APT Firearms Academy located just south west of Springfield in Galena, Mo. It is run by B.J. Johnson who is a very capable instructor in just about every firearm discipline as well as many other specialized law enforcement programs such as explosive breeching, Swat team training, tactical medic school, tactical scuba programs, executive protection and many many specialized programs. He is a senior member of the Greene County Swat Team and all of his instructors are properly credentialed. I have attended his programs as well as most of our Swat Team from Henry County. He has kids programs and outdoor adventure programs for kids which include land navigation, rappeling and many classes for kids which is scaled down and appropriate for age that he does in his adult courses.

The second great place to get professional training is at Bear Creek Tactical located in Stockton, Mo. All of Bear Creek's instructor's are either former or current USMC Scout/Snipers and/or Mo. State Highway Patrol snipers. Very professional and have NRA certified programs as well as their own classes from beginning handgun up to and including advance shotgun and carbine classes as well CCW and also separate courses like Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home. Bear Creek also sponsors the local IDPA chapter (International Defensive Pistol Association) which has IDPA competition shooting on the 1st Saturday of the month.

Visit their websites and check them out. Again, you are lucky to live very close to two premier shooting schools in the Ozarks and I would highly recommend either of them. Most people have to drive out of state to attend good shooting schools.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I knew of the guys in stockton but not in Galena thanks for that tid bit. Ya my brother and i "plink" all the time. I understand that prof training is needed and we have agreed to get her some, I just want to get her some basics. Thanks so much for you help and everyone else who gave their two cents and support! I think I can take this experience and turn it into a good thing!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You carried a knife into a potential gunfight--bad idea, especially when you say you had an 870 available. That was the only potentially dangerous error I saw.

The vast majority of home invasions are during the day, when most law-abiding people are at work. Fortunately, the wife was out and you were home. Make sure she knows better than to grab the knife before the 870.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    glad he ran away, I would have went for the shotgun first, then yelled at the BG
    I would have shot him, then yelled at him.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    These are stand alone devices? Got a link?
    +1 please.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links