My attempted home invasion yesterday

This is a discussion on My attempted home invasion yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday afternoon I descided that I was going to come home on my lunch break, my was gone to her place of work and it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My attempted home invasion yesterday

My attempted home invasion yesterday

Yesterday afternoon I descided that I was going to come home on my lunch break, my was gone to her place of work and it was just me and the dog home.
    I had made what I thought to be a decent lunch and was sitting in the living room. After watching some tv I hear this WAM WAM coming from the kitchen door.

Im sitting there thinking "whats going on" and that is when I realize that someone is trying to rip the stormdoor of the hinges. My 10 pound dog goes nuts and runs to the door barking and yelping, but the person just continues to try to rip the door open.

I jump up and I dont think I have time to go get my gun so I pull out my knife and run into the kitchen yelling " What do you think you are doing"? At that moment I realize I need to go get my gun, when I finish yelling the door quits shaking, so I take that time to run into the bed room and grab my Rem 870.

I look out my bed room window and dont see anyone, but I clear my way back to the kitchen and see that the door is still locked and closed and he had given up when I started yelling.

I call the police and file a report and they are now watching the house and our neighborhood better for the next 3 weeks.

The weird thing is is that I was NOT suppose to come home for lunch yesterday and my wife was suppose to be home but had been called into work. I thank GOD for it being me here and not her.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glad you are OK,is there a reason you did not have a gun on you?You said you had to go get a gun.

I dont carry at work and leave the gun at the house, so I did not even think to go get it when I was home...its only an hour lunch break. NEVER AGIAN!

edit: anything I should have done diff? other then not having the gun on me.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I am glad the BG ran off when you yelled out. But it could have been a very different out come. We all need to keep our guns close enough to grab. If you don't carry around the house I would hide a gun in as many rooms as possible. That way one is not far out of reach in case something like this happens.

Glad that you thwarted a bad situation, but I have to agree with Pink Lady, never be too far away from a gun when you are at home... Grab Weapon = Y, Call Police = Y, File a Report = Y, Learned Something from the Experience = Y... I think you did everything right (any weapon is better than no weapon)...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    I dont carry at work and leave the gun at the house, so I did not even think to go get it when I was home...its only an hour lunch break. NEVER AGIAN!

edit: anything I should have done diff? other then not having the gun on me.
    I cannot believe your dog did not alert earlier. Dogs can hear whispers from yards away and it seems strange the dog did not hear the intruder when he/she was entering the yard.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

glad he ran away, I would have went for the shotgun first, then yelled at the BG
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'd also like to add that by the title I thought you had attempted a home invasion and were writing from the hospital as a lesson to all BGs out there..LOL
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

It is also possible that this was not a home invasion, but an attempted burglary of a residence thought to be unoccupied.

Glad you're okay! The only advise I'd offer up is. That pistol should either ride with ya or on ya, if it's gonna be of any use when the poop hits the fan. :han10:

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It is also possible that this was not a home invasion, but an attempted burglary of a residence thought to be unoccupied.
    Thank you, Guantes.

I don't know when all home burglaries began being referred to as home invasions, but it's an important distinction. Just as there is a difference between an after hours bank heist and an armed bank robbery, there is a distinct difference in intent and maliciousness between a home burglary and armed robbery of a dwelling (which is what a home invasion usually is).

That being said, I wouldn't just sit there and ask the guy trying to break in, "are you a burglar or a robber?"

It's most likely that this guy thought nobody was home (since most homes are empty during the day) and was startled when he heard you yell.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Well she (the dog) got up and walked toward the kitchen right before it all began. I dont think of her in anyway as a "guard" dog. But I think she knew something was happening. I doubt a dog can sense someone just walking through a back yard with two walls inbetween them.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

VIP Member
    Yikes. A tip. Keep sharp kitchen knives well hidden; bottom draw instead of top, under something, so if BG gets in the house he doesn't get instant access to a weapon if he failed to bring one.

I've had three incidents happen while I was home--- over 33 years, so not a frequent thing. But two were attempted burglary of a habitation and the other, I never did figure out for sure but I think it was an attempted ambush to get into the house for rape. Happily my wife spotted the dude lurking and I ran him off. Gutsy young man too, as both cars were in the driveway and it was broad daylight.

These days there are a lot of inexpensive security devices on the market. Some work, some are illusion, some are actually fake but look like the real thing. I'm in the process of putting vibration detectors on all my windows. At 2.50 cents each, they are a bargain. Not the same as a wired in monitored system, but hope they will get me a few seconds and also hope that the appearance of precaution taking will send the opportunists elsewhere.

I try to put emphasis on the exterior perimeter, as it is too late once someone is in --even if infra-red detectors, panic buttons and auto dialers call it in.

Always carry, keep it in the car when you go to work so you have ut when you get off work, JMO. I think grabbing the shotty before you yell would have been good!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Interesting how fast things happen and how unexpected they can be. Kind of rattles ya, doesn't it? I noticed you were startled enough to not go get the gun first and chose a knife, but then when you were in the midst of the confrontation you decided you really needed your gun! Best to prepare for these "unexpected emergencies" before they happen so you don't make a bad choice next time.

Also, how would have your wife handled things had she been home like she was supposed to be? Would she have gone for the gun? Would she have done anything defensively? Best to figure these things out ahead of time. True home invasions don't fare very well for the homeowner when they are ill prepared to deal with it immediately, and with a plan that has been thought out well in advance.

I also believe this was more of a residential burglary attempt rather than a home invasion.

Glad it all turned out okay, but you'll gonna need to address those questions if you expect to be properly prepared for the future. Especially regarding how your wife may respond to such a situation should she be home alone.

Three weeks worth of extra patrol don't mean jack in the scheme of things. They might as well not do any extra patrols as it just gives the home owner a false "warm and fuzzy" feeling. "Oh boy... the cops are gonna patrol a little extra!" But only for a couple weeks.

Of course, they could catch the guy trying it again in the neighborhood during those extra patrols, but a smarter burglar would just wait a little longer and change neighborhoods for a while until things return to normal.

I can tell you, that for both my wife and I, anything like what you described happens, a gun goes immediately into our hands. Guns are kept that close in our house. It's only a matter of which gun we'll be arming ourselves with. Will it be a pistol, or an AR-15 carbine loaded with personal defense ammo? Or will it be a shotgun?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links