How'd I do? Orange at the shoe store

This is a discussion on How'd I do? Orange at the shoe store within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you did just fine. You don't know what they were up to; they don't know what you were up to. To ask questions, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How'd I do? Orange at the shoe store

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think you did just fine. You don't know what they were up to; they don't know what you were up to. To ask questions, even something as innocent as, "Can I help you?" can be taken as a challenge in today's world of warped minds.

If I saw someone with a gun walking out and I was suspicious, I certainly wouldn't openly follow the guy to be a good citizen. That's puts me in a situation i don't need to be in.

Be aware, walk away, cover your six. Wake up to a new dawn.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

3D
    When you observed the truck occupants looking at the autoparts store you interpreted the event as the "passenger and driver both started looking us up and down". . . better pay attention, maybe go to "Orange".

Sounds OK to me; you can't read their minds; you don't really know what they're doing or looking at.

You also don't know if they even saw that you were open carrying. . . but they may have observed your weapon and said: "WTH - look that guy's got a gun and interpreted that as dangerous . . . better pay attention, maybe go to "Orange".

Sounds OK to me; they can't read your mind; they don't really know what you are doing or looking at.

So all persons may have been "Orange" . .fine. "Orange" to me is a more heightened state of awareness____not a time to 'posture'___. (JMO)
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    "Orange" to me is a more heightened state of awareness____not a time to 'posture'___. (JMO)
    Point of diction. There is never a time to "posture". More accurately, with security training, the OP, INccwchris, went to an "interview" stance and was deciding if he should verbalize. "Posturing" is appearing more threatening and, while it may work for some species in nature, IMO, is not an appropriate tactic for self defense.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I would say you did ok, better to be safe than sorry.

OC spray in a pouch and a handcuff pouch and firearm with a white t shirt and black pants because he didn't have complete security uniform on.

I'd have looked at you funny, too, and would have decided some mall ninja wannabe gunslinger was glaring at me while shopping for shoes.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I'm starting to get the feeling that we activated both of our SA at the same time and started reacting towards each other and then when the first escalated their condition to orange, the second did as well. I think I might have been reacting to their code orange and been unaware of how I might have been perceived, I think if something like this happens again, once I enter my interview stage, if maybe a friendly wave and smile would be a good idea instead of just bristling.

You know Pistology, until you said that about training, I never actually consciously thought that I was reacting like I was trained. Now looking back on it I realize that what I did was literally almost move for move out of our handbook. I wonder if that would be good or bad when I'm not at work, those of you with training, do you feel you react the same at work as you do off work?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Better safe than sorry...
    Some have made some 'funny' comments, but in actuality, someone watching you and then coming towards you in a menacing manner...stopping to 'pretend' to read a sign on the store (when you look at them) would seem a bit odd to me.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

INccwchris, I think you're right. Especially when open carrying, be prepared to set off other people's alarms. A smile and a wave can go a long way to lower their alert level AND give you some information based on their reaction.

As far as training, there's not much you can do to prevent it from happening off work. The purpose of training is to develop the "correct" automatic responses to certain situations so when you're in a real confrontation you can focus on the threat while your body is doing what it needs to do.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Sounds like you did fine. Within reason, I consider over reaction better than under reaction.
    yes^^^^ action always beats reaction
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links