Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

This is a discussion on Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I harp on this a lot, but ... What if the bg's are in a vehicle smaller than your own? If you are ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I know I harp on this a lot, but ...

What if the bg's are in a vehicle smaller than your own?
    If you are in a larger, and more powerful vehicle, you have other options. Granted they may or may not be the best for any particular situation, but then again, being able to shove your way out of an ambush might just buy you the .002 seconds that save your life.

2. Remove Ads

Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    If you are in a larger, and more powerful vehicle, you have other options. Granted they may or may not be the best for any particular situation, but then again, being able to shove your way out of an ambush might just buy you the .002 seconds that save your life.
    You can shove a larger vehicle with a smaller one. (Its just easier to do if you have a bigger vehicle ) Do not let the fact that you are in a smaller vehicle lead you to assume that you can not drive out of a problem.

And again....

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    I know I harp on this a lot, but ...

What if the bg's are in a vehicle smaller than your own?
    As i've mentioned previously, making a vehicle go out of control is a serious danger to other uninvolved parties. This out of control vehicle has to end up somewhere. Forcing your way past stationary cars is one thing, but just want to make sure we are not talking about some attempt at a PIT manoeuver...

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    If they are leaving then they are no longer a threat to you, so shooting would be illegal in many states.
    Additionally in some states it's not legal to use deadly force in defense of property. - Janq
    +1

I'd miss my Acura RSX, but alive w/ those odds is GOOD!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    No shoot. They can have the car. That's why I have insurance. Plus, even if it is ruled a good shoot, I don't think the car is worth fighting over and the legal hassal
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

97% of the time, I've got my kids with me. I'm not playing games when it comes to them. Getting them out is positively the priority.

I leave enough space in front of me, to get out, all the time (I've learned this the HARD WAY). Cut the wheel to the left, gun it, and let my 5,500lbs of steel do thier thing. If I harm someones car, in the process of getting the heck outta dodge, well, sorry brother.... Looks like you're getting a free car repair too.....

Worst case, the wife's usually with me, she's always armed too.

If for some reason I'm alone.... PFFT, they can have it! :) (Thank heavens for GAP insurance!!!!!)

I could care less about my car. I wouldn't bother shooting at the tires. I've got 3 more where that came from, it's just not worth it. (in ohio, you may NOT deploy deadly force to defend property, and 6-1 sounds like a losing game to me..... again tho, if the kiddos [3] are involved, all bets are off.....)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Don't F350s cost like $40-60K depending on how equipped. I'm hopping out and robbing them of their truck

VIP Member
    I'd use my dually w/Cummins diesel & push it out of way. It's nice to own a tank!

I would have opened fire before they got me out of my vehicle.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman
    As i've mentioned previously, making a vehicle go out of control is a serious danger to other uninvolved parties. This out of control vehicle has to end up somewhere. Forcing your way past stationary cars is one thing, but just want to make sure we are not talking about some attempt at a PIT manoeuver...
    Just for the record, we are referring to self defense here. In this particular case we are talking about forcing your way through stationary vehicles. In the case that someone attempts to force you off the road, a larger vehicle is going to be much more resistant to such an attack, and much easier to control during one. The pit maneuver was never mentioned, nor implied.

Hmmm
    So the bg's exit their vehicles with guns. Games on before they get even close to my car. I don't know that they want to jack my car. Sounds like a hit from the godfather.
    If for some reason im not in my car and they jump in, then i hope they have a fun time. Frankly my car needs new brakes, clutch, windsheild, tires, and somethings wrong with the wiring. The insurance co. would probably give me more than i could sell it for!!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I have a nice car, one that I like a lot. I drive a BMW M3, the E46 version. I'd let them have the car without a second thought.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    If I'm already out of the car, as stated in the hypothetical, they can have it. Like so many other folks posting on this thread, my ride is pretty much not thief bait. Good luck to them getting it to shift from 1st to 2d (hard to do, esp. if you haven't done it...tempermental truck with 165K on it).

But I doubt that they'd be too likely to actually get me to exit the vehicle in the first place. I'd be pretty skeptical about the deal they're offering: "Do what I say and I won't shoot you."

If you'll shoot me for not doing what you say, you'll shoot me for anything. Or nothing.

I'm figuring at that point I very well may already be toast. And as it's better to go out fighting, I might try to drive out of there, crashing a lot and running over a couple. I might just start (futilely, perhaps) shooting. Maybe both. Maybe just shoot the one (I think the hypothetical mentioned only one) with a gun. Don't know. But I'm not just going to accept on faith that they won't try to kill me even if I do as they say.

If you're pointing a gun at me and expect me to obey you while I'm armed, you'd better adjust your expectations a bit.

I'm pretty much on the same wavelength with everybody else here, they can have my crappy car. lol

But, one thing to keep in mind is memorizing your license plate. Many, many people don't know what their license plate is even though they drive it every day. When you call 911, they are going to ask you for your license plate. If you don't/can't remember your license plate, you get 2 copies of your insurance card... Use them! Keep one in your vehicle and one at home. Your vehicle's license plate can be run using your VIN off the insurance card.

Also, be sure to volunteer your vehicle's color and any distinguishing features. Keep the color simple (e.g. gold, not "champagne" or "sparkle" or something). Distinguishing features can also be anything from bumper stickers to custom wheel rims, large cracks/scratches to lift kits and push bars. Know your vehicle and keep it simple!

Cheers. ;O)

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I call Onstar on my cell phone and tell them about it. I always wondered if they can shut it down via satellite.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

good advice soundwave. You just inspired me to keep a few copies of my lic #(File cab, wallet, etc...)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links