Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes... - Page 5

Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

This is a discussion on Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If they want my 1994 Buick Regal with the dented door, they can have it. I'll just take one of their F350's in exchange....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

If they want my 1994 Buick Regal with the dented door, they can have it. I'll just take one of their F350's in exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by fitznig
    ... at gun point and drive you out of your car ...
    However, the BG's drive off in your car and you have the chance to ...
    ... commit a punative, second act that would land me in prison? No thanks.

Wherever I've held CCW/CHL, property defense has been an initial/immediate element, in that one must be at immediate grave risk in order to defend that property. In this scenario, the major, grave risk has passed, as the BG's are driving away. Hence, any firing on my part is a separate, subsequent action and would almost certainly be seen (in OR, CA) as a criminal action itself. It would be punative, no matter how you slice it. Any firing on my part would also, on this crowded street, put everyone downrange in grave risk. My "solution" would effectively be worse than the problem, in this scenario. If I fired at the fleeing car, by current law I should be arrested. God help me if I were to cap a 3yr old child across the street or in the next vehicle.

This is one of the reasons I leave a minimum car-length gap from the car in front of me. I drive with the doors locked and windows high, when others are around. I've survived one attempted carjacking and don't intend to be victimized a second time. If BG's begin to pry open my car door, the throttle is going to be floored, regardless of any BG in the way. Escape/evasion, with distance being the goal. Then, on the cell phone to 911, to let the pros deal with it.

However, if caught unawares (shame on me!) and I'm dragged with three guns in my face prior to being able to draw, they can absolutely have the insured car. No problem with that. It's not worth my life. Not any day of the week.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 26th, 2006 at 03:53 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would hope they totaled it after being chased by the fuzz, that way I'd get a new one.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
    (Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    get out let em have it but drop your cell phone between the seats that way the leos n your cell provider can track your car n catch the whole ring of theving muts

If they are leaving and nobody is making threats, then I would not shoot because I would be outnumbered. In Texas, you supposedly can shoot to defend property, but the lawsuits and hassles are not going to be as much problem as dealing with the insurance company. I am covered 100% for theft.

Quote Originally Posted by ssssthesnake
    get out let em have it but drop your cell phone between the seats that way the leos n your cell provider can track your car n catch the whole ring of theving muts
    Just FYI, many, many LE agencies across the U.S. don't have the ability to track a cellphone during a 9-1-1 situation let alone where there is not an immediate danger to life or limb. Here in Arizona, there is only one county that can track a cellphone when someone calls 9-1-1 and if it's not a 9-1-1 call it practically takes an act of Congress for LEOs to get the cell company to be able to get that information (even with the owner's permission).

Cheers.

I would call in an Airstrike because you left out how you were transporting a high level official with secret documents. Just, kidding, I would get low, throw it in reverse and ram the truck behind me and let that V8 and .45 go to work because they are going to kill you at some point anyway according to level of muscle they have. However, a situation like this happending to civilian is unlikely, what is more likely to happend is two Guys jump out a truck and approach your SUV of which I would Just gas it because, they would not shoot you if you gas it and haul out because most of the time they only want the truck and the sheer aggressiveness of your actions would cause attention and shock them.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

They can have the car ... they have the tactical advantage so I'd be wise to keep my firearm concealed. Once they're in the car and driving away, the threat is gone, call 911 and insurance company. In the event that I could have gained an advantage, it would have been because they had firearms and threatened me .. not because they wanted my car.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Thank the Lord
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

If the BG brought a gun then I am in fear for my life. As soon as I saw people jumping out of trucks coming for me I would draw my weapon (while still in cab) and punch the gas. Assuming that situation is not possible I still would have my weapon drawn. What about my family that is in my vehicle I fear for their lives too. Situations are different for everyone.

BG carrying gun coming at me = 2 to the chest 1 to the head. To me it is not an issue of property but my life and my families lives.

If I came out of a store and saw my truck getting broken into then of course I would not shoot, unless the BG came at me with a gun, knife, bat etc.

It is also hard to exactly say how one would react...this stuff happens in seconds and each situation is different. I prepare mentally the best I can, but don't hesitate either.

I'd have to let them take it... I have onstar so hopefully I can quickly call LE and get Gps coordinates 10-5'd from onstar before any type of dismantling can take place such as the power supply to the transponder.

DC Founder
    I think I would just have the Lo-Jack activated and listen to it all go down on the scanner.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Heheh. 6 to 1. 2 to 1 is bad enough whether or not you have a gun.
    They get the car without any provocation. Also, what happens if you take a shot at any one of them, then they end up spraying bullets and killing someone who did the right thing in getting out of the immediate area of the robbery? Legally you may not be liable for deaths, but morally you would feel pretty horrible(I hope).

Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by fitznig View Post
    So you are stopped at a traffic light with a Ford F-350 infront of you and a Ford F-350 behind of you.
    Its a 3 lane stop, and you are in the middle lane with cars surrounding you on all sides.

3 BG's pile out of the Ford infront of you, and 3 more BG pile out of the Ford behind you at gun point and drive you out of your car (they must really love your car)
    All the other people in the cars around you have all gotten out and ran away and hide, probably calling the cops.
    However, the BG's drive off in your car and you have the chance to stop them in their tracks with your handy dandy gun.

Do you take the shot at your own car to take down the BG's, or just wait til the cops maybe somehow get them someday. Would you be willing to shot at your own car to save it??? and risk a gun fight with the other BG's?
    In Indiana, you can start shooting the moment it is evident that a car jacking is taking place. You don't wait until they get their hands on you and drag you out. Keep your doors locked. I use .45 FMJs, so I have no problem about shooting through a car window.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PgSqlQuery View Post
    97% of the time, I've got my kids with me. I'm not playing games when it comes to them. Getting them out is positively the priority.

I leave enough space in front of me, to get out, all the time (I've learned this the HARD WAY). Cut the wheel to the left, gun it, and let my 5,500lbs of steel do thier thing. If I harm someones car, in the process of getting the heck outta dodge, well, sorry brother.... Looks like you're getting a free car repair too.....

If for some reason I'm alone.... PFFT, they can have it! :) (Thank heavens for GAP insurance!!!!!)

I could care less about my car. I wouldn't bother shooting at the tires. I've got 3 more where that came from, it's just not worth it. (in ohio, you may NOT deploy deadly force to defend property, and 6-1 sounds like a losing game to me..... again tho, if the kiddos [3] are involved, all bets are off.....)
    Amen, brother.

But even if I am alone, fight's on if someone points a gun at me. If it's my day to die, may as well go down in style.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links