Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

This is a discussion on Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, you got out of your car and they didn't kill you... They are already in your car and leaving.... NO Reason To Engage them ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

Well, you got out of your car and they didn't kill you... They are already in your car and leaving.... NO Reason To Engage them at this point. Threat is over!

Not sure I would engage anyway. Six against one, coming from two different vehicles in order to take my vehicle seems like a professional car theft group who are choosing to use overwhelming force to overcome the victim and steal their car without killing the person.

Statistics show it's the "lone" carjacker or the carjacker with just one other accomplice that you have to worry about being killed from. With only one or two BG's, they know they may have their hands full if someone resists and are more apt to kill in order to get what they want.

A group of Six armed people coming from multiple vehicles and using the tactics to surround you, would tend to show me that they are more of a professional group who intends to avoid a homicide charge.

Still... Actually being in the situation with the ability to see things play out in real time would dictate how I would respond. If I did respond, I would shoot at the armed thugs first and work my way from there!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I'd likely shoot as they drove away, provided they weren't too far away yet. Not just because they took my car, but because they were armed, pointed guns at me, were organized, planned it out and were extremely dangerous and escaping, and posed a serious threat to the community and all other means to stop them were likely to fail.

Kinda strange to pull up with that many guys in the middle of the street in two F350's to box me in.....Maybe they mistakenly thought I was the dope man and they were getting a bunch of dope in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    If you shoot you become the aggressor which means they have a right to claim selfdefense, besides its just a car. As stated before 8 to 1 are not good odds.
    I don't know about Connecticut, but in Michigan (and most other places too, I believe) I don't think an armed criminal can claim self-defense if using a firearm in the commission of a crime.

Thats what insurance is for.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'd use my dually w/Cummins diesel & push it out of way. It's nice to own a tank!

I would have opened fire before they got me out of my vehicle.
    My new Duramax would do the same thing, lock her in 4X4, and go right over them, leave them chokin' in a cloud of deisel smoke, wonderin' how I got the truck AND a 34' fifth wheel trailer away from them!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

This is a good situation where a capsule of mustard gas in the car's ventilation system would come in handy. :)

Then, If you are crazy enough, you could place yourself of your vehicle. This would force them to make a decision. Either stop or run you over. Then you have the right to shoot away.

But unfortunately all you can legally do, UNFORTUNATELY!, is watch them drive away with your hard earned money(vehicle). Don't you just love our 'CRIMINAL JUSTICE' system. It works great for the criminals.
    Things happen, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what you do during and after in order to survive.

But unfortunately all you can legally do, UNFORTUNATELY!, is watch them drive away with your hard earned money(vehicle).
    That's not necessarily true. It all depends on what state you're in.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Laugh....6 BG stealing a base model mini-van is hilarious to me. Especially if it's the get away car later for robbing a garage sale!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

"However, the BG's drive off in your car and you have the chance to stop them in their tracks with your handy dandy gun."

In OK i can legally kill them dead in their seats.

Senior Moderator
    I would wave Bye Bye......and call the police.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I have good insurance that will take care of my truck and as stated, they are driving away and no longer a threat so I wouldn't shoot.

Ron
    I am sorry, but I fail to understand the mentality involved in those who would elect to draw their gun and start shooting at the car. As I understand the scenario presented, you are now safely out of the car with the BG's driving away. Since your life is no longer threatened, what is the point of shooting at the car? What can you possibly hope to accomplish, except bad things, like accidently hiting a bystander, or causing the car to go out of control and hit a bystander, or have the BG's decide to come back and kill you because you are shooting at them. Just my opinion, but none of that makes any sense to me.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by fitznig View Post
    So you are stopped at a traffic light with a Ford F-350 infront of you and a Ford F-350 behind of you.
    Its a 3 lane stop, and you are in the middle lane with cars surrounding you on all sides.

3 BG's pile out of the Ford infront of you, and 3 more BG pile out of the Ford behind you at gun point and drive you out of your car (they must really love your car)
    All the other people in the cars around you have all gotten out and ran away and hide, probably calling the cops.
    However, the BG's drive off in your car and you have the chance to stop them in their tracks with your handy dandy gun.

Do you take the shot at your own car to take down the BG's, or just wait til the cops maybe somehow get them someday. Would you be willing to shot at your own car to save it??? and risk a gun fight with the other BG's?
    Good car insurance is your friend. They outnumber you and they have the drop on you. Better to live to fight another day.

I drive a well used 1990 toyota pu... I'd tell them to make sure they torched it after they were done, I could use the money... Just let me get my backpack first and they can have at it...

I would then call 911, and immediatly after call my insurance company for a rental while waiting for my police report.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links