Defensive Carry banner

Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

6K views 100 replies 79 participants last post by  mcp1810 
#1 ·
So you are stopped at a traffic light with a Ford F-350 infront of you and a Ford F-350 behind of you.
Its a 3 lane stop, and you are in the middle lane with cars surrounding you on all sides.

3 BG's pile out of the Ford infront of you, and 3 more BG pile out of the Ford behind you at gun point and drive you out of your car (they must really love your car)
All the other people in the cars around you have all gotten out and ran away and hide, probably calling the cops.
However, the BG's drive off in your car and you have the chance to stop them in their tracks with your handy dandy gun.

Do you take the shot at your own car to take down the BG's, or just wait til the cops maybe somehow get them someday. Would you be willing to shot at your own car to save it??? and risk a gun fight with the other BG's?

#27 ·
fitznig said:
That would be nice to have.
It's perfect because F150s have this huge fender cavity right over the gas tank. You put the cell on top in a weatherproof container and run the antenna to the top of the bed rail so reception is good. You just have to know the blast radius so you can watch, but not get hit by any debris. :gah:

Cellphone and C4 plus misc. supplies = $500 (C4 is stolen of course)
Totalling my 2004 F150 after insurance = $3000 est
Seeing several idiot criminals come to a explosive end = priceless

Just kidding of course. But fun to contemplate isn't it?

Still gotta go with letting them have the ride and call it in. You pretty much set up the scenario so there aren't many other options. You took us to the point that we were already seperated from the vehicle and the BGs are fleeing in the vehicle, so it isn't self defense. That means that there are only a few states where you could legally shoot.

#28 ·
I'm not advocating breaking the law...yet.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, but it would seem to me this societal norm of giving everything up to anyone who decides it's theirs for the taking is what has put us in this boat to begin with. Question: Would you have so many of these scenarios if they were dealt with properly in the first place? Personal property is one of those things that makes America great. Why is it that it no longer holds any value?

#30 ·
Quickly get out pad and pencil and write down the license plate number of the getaway car !! Not really.>>

6:1 bad from the start........but......remember you said at gun point.......so...........in the gunshine state we are not obligated to start screaming and run for our lives if we are threatened with deadly force. We can counter with deadly force if we are in our homes(apt.included),in our vechs. or in any public place that we are lawfully in.

Now I believe that I know what your gettin' at,so,if the BG's were in my vech driveing off,it WOULD NOT be a good shoot. While they were trying to force me out of it or threatening me while I were in it,....... I could kill 'em all. --------

#31 ·
If it were just me and the car, they would get the car.

If it were me and the family, kids hit the deck, and I start making some lead deposits in the bank of COM !!! I wouldn't sit still either, I would try and drive off. I would also try and run them over to dispurse them and throw them of there game.

This is one of the reasons why I don't pull up to the bumper of the guy in front of me. If I need to get around the guy in front, I can do so easly and not have to wait for all the traffic to clear, then backup, then go around. I can just step on the gas and go. If I scratch my car and others, well insurance will take care of the property, but will not bring lives back.

Just my two cents.

#33 ·
so no one would atleast shoot their tire to make the car stop, then hide so atleast you can retreive your vehicle?

i might atleast try that if i could, tires arent that expensive to replace, that is of course if i can hit the tire with the first shot.

#34 ·
fitznig said:
so no one would atleast shoot their tire to make the car stop, then hide so atleast you can retreive your vehicle?

i might atleast try that if i could, tires arent that expensive to replace, that is of course if i can hit the tire with the first shot.
Sorry, bud, no way I would do that. Too much chance of missing and having a ricochet off the rim, bumper, or asphalt.
Besides, like you said in the scenario, there's cars all around and an F350 in back as well as in front.
That and I'm not inclined to have 6 or 8 armed guys looking for me. :rolleyes:

#35 ·
What he said

CopperKnight said:
Sorry, bud, no way I would do that. Too much chance of missing and having a ricochet off the rim, bumper, or asphalt.
Besides, like you said in the scenario, there's cars all around and an F350 in back as well as in front.
That and I'm not inclined to have 6 or 8 armed guys looking for me. :rolleyes:
Exactly, +1. Not to mention the fact that you are on shaky legal ground there. CCW is not for disabling fleeing vehicles. That could be seen as a little reckless. And again, what if the car loses control and hits bystanders?

#36 ·
rocky said:
Unless I am in fear of my life I will not shoot.
Nor would I. However, if 6 men were pointing guns at me, I would assume they are going to shoot, and I would definitely fear they were about to end my life. I have no idea what I would do in such a situation, but I wouldn't be thinking about the car. (By the way, only 2 of the 6 would be escaping in my little car. :smile:)

#38 ·
If someone grabbed my car. First of all I would do whatever had to be done to survive the incident. The car can be replaced. In fact only an idiot would steal a car as identifiable as mine. It is a BIG old stationwagon with 31" truck tires police pushbars on the front and a mild lift kit under it. Not to mention the top speed is about 65mph right now as third and 4th gear are not working.

They would be easily spotted, and wouldn't be able to outrun a kid on a moped.

(yes I know, it sounds terrible but man is it fun to beat around town in!)

#39 ·
The penalty (on the books) for theft of a vehicle is not Death by Firing Squad.

We cannot play Judge, Jury, & Executioner here in Pennsylvania.

Also PLEASE REMEMBER that when you post these Scenario Type threads you absolutely need to be as precise and accurate as possible in painting the mental picture of the event.

You need to provide a very accurate & highly detailed description of the event as it is to unfold.

Are all 6 of the BGs are Armed?

You are in your vehicle stopped at a traffic light with no way to exit the area and being approached from multiple directions by 6 armed bad guys all with firearms pointed at your person?

Being approached by 6 obviously armed BGs of questionable intent would be considered to be an Immediate Deadly Threat in itself....regardless of what their ultimate intentions were for your car.
That is why I almost never respond to Scenario type forum posts.
That would be because they are usually always "way too vague" and lacking in specific details that would or could possibly affect my imagined action and my answer.

#40 ·
I'd give an agressive shout... see if that scared them away. If they proceeded to steal it and drive away, I'd just call 911, report the theft, then call my insurance company.

A car or personal property is no reason to end a life. Its just "STUFF", even though its your stuff. The bastards who steal it deserve a lot of things... but a bullet they do not. Now... if they are trying to steal it while you are in it?????? They will be getting free harp lessons by St. Peter himself.

#41 ·
QKShooter said:

Good point, QKShooter. It's very important to be aware of the legalities in your state. In Texas, deadly force is legal in defense of property. Whether I, or anyone, would take that step is a very personal issue and would depend on the situation. And of course, the first order of business is survival.

#42 ·
QKShooter said:

Also PLEASE REMEMBER that when you post these Scenario Type threads you absolutely need to be as precise and accurate as possible in painting the mental picture of the event.

You need to provide a very accurate & highly detailed description of the event as it is to unfold.

Are all 6 of the BGs are Armed?

You are in your vehicle stopped at a traffic light with no way to exit the area and being approached from multiple directions by 6 armed bad guys all with firearms pointed at your person?

Being approached by 6 obviously armed BGs of questionable intent would be considered to be an Immediate Deadly Threat in itself....regardless of what their ultimate intentions were for your car.
That is why I almost never respond to Scenario type forum posts.
That would be because they are usually always "way too vague" and lacking in specific details that would or could possibly affect my imagined action and my answer.
yes all BG's are armed, in the future i will make the scene more clear so no confusion can come up.

i was just curious if anyone would actually shoot at their own car if it was stolen and u did have the few seconds to do so.

The reason for the question, is i just witnessed a car being stolen (not by armed guys) but at a gas station where i guy left his car un-locked and running to run in to give the person $10, a guy with cigs came out of the gas station , opened up the door and drove away laughing, as the poor kid came out running crying stooooooop!

IT took me awhile to figure out it was grand theft auto, i thought it was just his friend playing a joke at first, but damn, it got me to thinking if this happened to me what would i do, but how else if you are in traffic would u have to leave your vehicle unless something as ridiculious at this occured.

But that was the first time i have ever witnessed a major crime in progress, right infront of my eyes! Pretty crazy stuff, it was one of those situations i wish i had my gun, just in case some crazy buzzness went down. It made me so mad to see that happened, and how no one had a clue what was going on until a min later, including myself.

#43 ·
fitznig...I liked the actual scenario that really happened right in front of you. :yup:

BTW In Pennsylvania a person cannot shoot/kill to protect property.
So for a normal car theft it would be draw the cell phone rather than the firearm.

Now 6 armed guys coming atcha in any threatening fashion would be a totally different story.

That would be a good morning to have had one extra cup of strong coffee.

#45 ·
Fitznig's scenario-too common.ALWAYS lock the door.
6 BG's with guns-"Yessir.Want me to fill it up for you?" followed by a fast draw on the cell phone to the cops & the insurance co. unless I'm convinced it's my truck AND my life.Then all bets are off & I guess the best I can hope it to take a couple of 'em with me.

#46 ·
I know I harp on this a lot, but ...

What if the bg's are in a vehicle smaller than your own?
If you are in a larger, and more powerful vehicle, you have other options. Granted they may or may not be the best for any particular situation, but then again, being able to shove your way out of an ambush might just buy you the .002 seconds that save your life.

#47 ·
Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
If you are in a larger, and more powerful vehicle, you have other options. Granted they may or may not be the best for any particular situation, but then again, being able to shove your way out of an ambush might just buy you the .002 seconds that save your life.
You can shove a larger vehicle with a smaller one. (Its just easier to do if you have a bigger vehicle :image035: ) Do not let the fact that you are in a smaller vehicle lead you to assume that you can not drive out of a problem.

#48 ·
And again....

GoodSamaritan said:
I know I harp on this a lot, but ...

What if the bg's are in a vehicle smaller than your own?
As i've mentioned previously, making a vehicle go out of control is a serious danger to other uninvolved parties. This out of control vehicle has to end up somewhere. Forcing your way past stationary cars is one thing, but just want to make sure we are not talking about some attempt at a PIT manoeuver...

#49 ·
Janq said:
If they are leaving then they are no longer a threat to you, so shooting would be illegal in many states.
Additionally in some states it's not legal to use deadly force in defense of property. - Janq
+1

I'd miss my Acura RSX, but alive w/ those odds is GOOD!

#50 ·
No shoot. They can have the car. That's why I have insurance. Plus, even if it is ruled a good shoot, I don't think the car is worth fighting over and the legal hassal

#51 ·
97% of the time, I've got my kids with me. I'm not playing games when it comes to them. Getting them out is positively the priority.

I leave enough space in front of me, to get out, all the time (I've learned this the HARD WAY). Cut the wheel to the left, gun it, and let my 5,500lbs of steel do thier thing. If I harm someones car, in the process of getting the heck outta dodge, well, sorry brother.... Looks like you're getting a free car repair too.....

Worst case, the wife's usually with me, she's always armed too.

If for some reason I'm alone.... PFFT, they can have it! :) (Thank heavens for GAP insurance!!!!!)

I could care less about my car. I wouldn't bother shooting at the tires. I've got 3 more where that came from, it's just not worth it. (in ohio, you may NOT deploy deadly force to defend property, and 6-1 sounds like a losing game to me..... again tho, if the kiddos [3] are involved, all bets are off.....)

#75 ·
97% of the time, I've got my kids with me. I'm not playing games when it comes to them. Getting them out is positively the priority.

I leave enough space in front of me, to get out, all the time (I've learned this the HARD WAY). Cut the wheel to the left, gun it, and let my 5,500lbs of steel do thier thing. If I harm someones car, in the process of getting the heck outta dodge, well, sorry brother.... Looks like you're getting a free car repair too.....

If for some reason I'm alone.... PFFT, they can have it! :) (Thank heavens for GAP insurance!!!!!)

I could care less about my car. I wouldn't bother shooting at the tires. I've got 3 more where that came from, it's just not worth it. (in ohio, you may NOT deploy deadly force to defend property, and 6-1 sounds like a losing game to me..... again tho, if the kiddos [3] are involved, all bets are off.....)
Amen, brother.

But even if I am alone, fight's on if someone points a gun at me. If it's my day to die, may as well go down in style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.