Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

This is a discussion on Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you are stopped at a traffic light with a Ford F-350 infront of you and a Ford F-350 behind of you. Its a 3 ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

Just curious what people would do if their car was stolen infront of their eyes...

So you are stopped at a traffic light with a Ford F-350 infront of you and a Ford F-350 behind of you.
    Its a 3 lane stop, and you are in the middle lane with cars surrounding you on all sides.

3 BG's pile out of the Ford infront of you, and 3 more BG pile out of the Ford behind you at gun point and drive you out of your car (they must really love your car)
    All the other people in the cars around you have all gotten out and ran away and hide, probably calling the cops.
    However, the BG's drive off in your car and you have the chance to stop them in their tracks with your handy dandy gun.

Do you take the shot at your own car to take down the BG's, or just wait til the cops maybe somehow get them someday. Would you be willing to shot at your own car to save it??? and risk a gun fight with the other BG's?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitznig
    Would you be willing to shot at your own car to save it??? and risk a gun fight with the other BG's?
    Nope..my old F150 isn't worth fighting over

At this point in your scenario, the BG's are leaving and the imminent danger to yourself is over...any shooting by you would be hard to paint as "self defense".
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

If they are leaving then they are no longer a threat to you, so shooting would be illegal in many states.
    Additionally in some states it's not legal to use deadly force in defense of property.

I'd be happy I'm alive and get myself to relative safety forthwith.
    As for the car, who cares as thats why you pay exorbitant insurance rates. Besiides they just might have done you a favor getting you out of a possibly high dollar amount loan resulting in the car later being listed as a total loss, you wind up with some cash in hand and a second chance to get somethign with better fuel economy on the cheap. It's not like they would plan as much of an exercise to rob you of an 86 Mustang LX so likely you're car is high zoot whihc equates to spendy.

There is always a bright side. ;)

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

BGs are driving away. You're safe and are not in any more danger. Keep the gun in your holster, call the cops, and try to remember as many details as possible to make a good report.

VIP Member
    I would have no problem shooting at my own car to save it. But in this scenario, there's no shoot for a couple of reasons.

#1: they are driving away and I am not harmed.

#2: there are at least 8 of them and they are also armed.

Time to memorize a couple of license plates and find a phone.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Don't F350s cost like $40-60K depending on how equipped. I'm hopping out and robbing them of their truck, they can have my F150.

I would just activate the remote detonator and blow them up from my cell phone. Gee officer I don't know. You know these trucks have gas tanks that like to explode. What? You found C4 residue and a remote detonator? Well you know I did work for the government. Maybe they did it.

Seriously, shooting at them would mean I was defending property and I would get to go to jail.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    They can have it, my 420SEL drinks too much gas anyway....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    I wouldn't shoot - as others have stated, the threat is over.

I honestly don't see anybody wanting my crusty ol' Sonoma, either.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Call 911

Call 911. I don't care how good you are. Six armed BG's against one is a no winner, despite what you may believe about your abilities. After all, they also have their 'handy dandy gun'.

Not to mention the fact that they are no longer a threat. Mind you, I seem to recall from my CHL class that deadly force is permitted to repossess property if you are dispossesed of property, but only if the attempt to repossess is immediate. i.e you can't go and get your gun and come back. Also not sure if this only applies to real estate.

That said, it's rarely worth it. And with six armed opponents, you have no realistic chance.

And lets not forget the extreme poor judgement of firing at a likely fast moving car (and trucks too?), its going to be harder to score a hit, and with all those angles and hard points to deflect rounds, you are running a real risk of hitting someone you didn't mean to.

Even if you are a pistol ninja and DID hit them, where is this now out of control vehicle (and the trucks) going to go?

So, my opinion is to call the cops and get the bus. Progressive will buy me a new car.

Senior Moderator
    The fact that we are out numbered 6 to 1 aside, if we shot at them, it would be in defense of property, not life, which means we'd probably see more jail time than the BGs.

But, is it true in Texas, you can shoot to protect property?

It wouldn't be a good shoot in my state, due to personal property laws and the fact that the perps were fleeing. With the odds at 6:1, it wouldn't be a wise shoot, anyway. And, my car is worth less than my deductible, now, so it wouldn't be worth it.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

If you shoot you become the aggressor which means they have a right to claim selfdefense, besides its just a car. As stated before 8 to 1 are not good odds.

Bye car!
    Sounds like a good time to be a good witness. I don't like those odds, and besides, my car is only worth about 4k anyway.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Yes sir, you can

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    The fact that we are out numbered 6 to 1 aside, if we shot at them, it would be in defense of property, not life, which means we'd probably see more jail time than the BGs.

But, is it true in Texas, you can shoot to protect property?
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu....000009.00.htm

Scroll down to subsection D. Looks fairly clear to me. Still, just because it's legal, does not mean it is wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu....000009.00.htm

Scroll down to subsection D. Looks fairly clear to me. Still, just because it's legal, does not mean it is wise.

Should add that the ability to use deadly force as opposed to force does have more requirements. That said, if it is night, that meets one of the requirements.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links