The one time I didnt have my gun on me...

This is a discussion on The one time I didnt have my gun on me... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday before work I was out in the back yard (which is fully fenced) grilling some chicken and playing around with the 10 mth old ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The one time I didnt have my gun on me...

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

The one time I didnt have my gun on me...

Yesterday before work I was out in the back yard (which is fully fenced) grilling some chicken and playing around with the 10 mth old german shepherd I have. Well I through the ball a few times and she would bring it back, then on the last throw I heard the distinct sound of a chain breaking. As I look into the yard two houses over, I see a pitbull male (apprx 1.5 yr old due to time seeing him) jumping their fence into my neighbors yard. By this time I am rounding my dog up and trying to get in the house.

I am about half way to my door when I see him jump my fence with ease and come charging toward me and my dog. The whole time the dogs owner is at their back deck saying "it wont bit he is just a pup he wont hurt you". I can hear this dog growling and he is showing teeth the whole time he is charging so I know he isnt just wanting to play. By the time I get into my door way I have to kick him with my steel toe boot just to allow myself enough time to get in. I was shaken once I got inside and the dog owners finally came and got their dog.

My wife called the PD and they responded. Once the lady cop arrived she said there is not a whole lot the PD can do because its more of a animal control issue. She did go and talk to them but I dont know if it did anything. The one time I didnt have anything on me in my own backyard and this happens. Oh well live and learn I guess least no one was hurt..... Lets hear what you would have done different or your dog attack stories
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Other than not being armed, it sounds like you did great to me. A steel-toe boot seemed sufficient to keep you and your pup safe, and was a lot less hassle than dealing with the after-math of explaining a firearm discharge to the officer.

Although, I'd definately be armed with an eye on that dog, the next time I'm grilling .

Distinguished Member
    Time for a taller fence!

Many years ago about a week before I got married, I was attacked by 2 pitbulls owned by our soon-to-be neighbors...in my own front yard. I was sweeping the sidewalk, ran to the stairwell and didn't have time to get up the steps and in the door. I turned and fought them with the broom handle as much as I could until the owner came out and got them off. My hands were bleeding all over the place. The scariest thing I've ever endured. I didn't carry at the time, but I did afterwards. It was a big mess with animal control (who took their side when they said I came into their yard...which I didn't...they weren't even outside and the dogs were loose), town council, and the police. My only defense was to carry in my yard, which I did in a shoulder holster in plain view. The Chief of Police said if they came into my yard, fire away. I moved within a couple of months and nothing else happened.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Another example of the dog owner who thinks their pit bull doesn't bite. Then after you or your loved one gets ripped to shreds they say.."well, he never did that before".

Any dog who has jumped the fence into my yard and is charging me in an aggressive manner will not make it back over the fence alive.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I personally don't think I would have done anything different than you even if I had been armed in that same situation. Use of deadly force, even against an animal, is my last resort. I've broken up a few dogfights and they are usually not that bad. Scary, yes, but not too much to handle.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Scary situation huh?

In my yard I am less inclined to give warnings, or to be gentle about my manners. Even when I'm in my yard, or just taking out the trash, I'm armed. I'm glad nobody, or your dog, were hurt. This can be used as a life lesson, to always go armed.

The sad thing is even owners of bad dogs think their dogs are good. Maybe they are, and I'm inclined to believe it's bad owners more so than bad dogs, but I refuse to take that chance when I'm on my own property. I know of more than one person that has been killed due to a dog. When you mess with a man's dog you are, in a sense, messing with that man's family. In short, tread lightly, but be prepared to go hard if needed.

"Going hard" means, don't be afraid to shoot the man after you shoot the dog. There's a good chance he will try to shoot you after you shoot his dog. I'd rather fool around with a man's wife than mess with his dog. That's how sacred dogs are in my circles.

Biker

If I'd been armed in my backyard that would have been a dead dog. If not I'd have grabbed the 12 gauge and it still would have been a dead dog if it were still in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    I personally don't think I would have done anything different than you even if I had been armed in that same situation. Use of deadly force, even against an animal, is my last resort. I've broken up a few dogfights and they are usually not that bad. Scary, yes, but not too much to handle.
    No way. Heck no. I've been in the bite-suit in a police dog demonstration. I know what a determined dog can do, I know how strong they are and I know how vicious they are. If I have my way that dog isn't making it close enough to touch me while it's still alive.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The owner of any dog who attacks me, in any place I have the right to be, is going to hear from a lawyer--no ifs, ands, or buts. It's the price the owner pays for having a vicious dog not under control.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Did the owner call his dog back?! Or was he just telling you he wouldn’t hurt you? Either way, it was clear to you that the dog didn’t want to cuddle. Although I’m not sure if I would have killed the animal if the option was available unless absolutely necessary. It’s not the dogs fault; there are no bad dogs only bad owners. Sure there are dogs that are naturally more aggressive than others but it’s no excuse for poor training. That being said, you treated it as a dangerous animal and acted accordingly. Glad everybody is okay!! You did what was necessary to keep your family safe
    When you mess with a man's dog you are, in a sense, messing with that man's family. In short, tread lightly, but be prepared to go hard if needed.
    This goes both ways!
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Many years ago when I was in Austin, TX., I heard that if a dog bites you, you can demand that it be tested for rabies and that this requires killing the dog. I don't know if this is (was?) true or not.

After I got out of the Air Force, I delivered pizza for a couple of months in Austin before returning to Alabama. It was amazing how some idiots would just sit right there while their dog charged out, baring its teeth at me. I always swore that if someone actually let their dog bite me, that dog would be put to death. assuming that the above supposed law was correct.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Another example of the dog owner who thinks their pit bull doesn't bite. Then after you or your loved one gets ripped to shreds they say.."well, he never did that before".

Any dog who has jumped the fence into my yard and is charging me in an aggressive manner will not make it back over the fence alive.
    More like a dog owner that shouldn't be a dog owner at all. Key word in the OP was CHAIN! An owner chaining up any dog, much less a dog with a very high play/prey drive like a pit needs to be flogged because they're just setting up a disaster.

It's clear at that point that one, they haven't trained or socialized the dog at all(otherwise why else would they feel the need for the chain), and two, by chaining down a dog with a high play/prey drive it's kinda like trying to store up the pressure from a hurricane in a balloon. It can only take so much before it bursts. I'm a rescued pit owner and I'd have shot the darn thing even knowing full well that it wasn't really the dogs fault. Then the former owner and I would be discussing which ointments he may require in his recovery from the cranio-rectal problem he/she now has for endangering me and mine.

Sounds like the OP did what he had to do to keep his safe. Next time you'll probably be a bit more careful about "forgetting" your tools won't you?

I also agree for the most part with BikerRn
    The sad thing is even owners of bad dogs think their dogs are good. Maybe they are, and I'm inclined to believe it's bad owners more so than bad dogs, but I refuse to take that chance when I'm on my own property. I know of more than one person that has been killed due to a dog. When you mess with a man's dog you are, in a sense, messing with that man's family. In short, tread lightly, but be prepared to go hard if needed.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    To the OP I would most defiantly get a higher fence.. what if it had been your wife/gf/kid/friend in the yard the next time this dog hops the fence?... they might not think as fast as you did.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I would love to get a higher fence but we are renting the,house and the land owner won't allow it. I know it scared me bad thinking how things could have been. The owners never called it back only yelled at me saying it won't bite or hurt me. I wasn't dumb enough to believe it.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Well, easy for me to say after having the time to think about it, but maybe distracting the dog with some of the chicken from the grill? Also, having some OC spray on you, even if you did not have your firearm, maybe have been a good option to stop the dog in his tracks without killing him. Glad that you and your puppy are ok.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links