Old west legends meet modern culture

This is a discussion on Old west legends meet modern culture within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think they would go with the best all around that they could find...power, capacity and ease of use...glock, Sig, XD and so on....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old west legends meet modern culture

I think they would go with the best all around that they could find...power, capacity and ease of use...glock, Sig, XD and so on.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    John Wesley Hardin was shot in the back in El Paso in 1895 he was carrying a cap and ball colt
    Police retrieved two Colt's from Hardin's body, a 4 3/4" Colt SAA in .45 Colt and a 4 3/4" Colt Thunderer in .41 Colt.
    Wyatt Earp died of old age in 1939 I have no Idea what he carried.
    Wyatt Earp died, Jan. 13, 1929. In 1898, San Francisco police relieved him of a 7 1/2" Colt SAA shortly before he was to referee a boxing match.
    Last edited by OD*; August 25th, 2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    These guys tended to embrace technology. I'm thinking they'd go Glock.

Although they would likely be dumbfounded by our snafu of laws and subjective interpretations thereof.
    I only partly agree they always went with the best and most reliable, Sorry glock fans.....then it would be HK......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I have no idea what they would carry but I suspect it would be state of the art since they generally stayed with the trend from cap and ball to cartridge except for Hickok and some historians believe he had switched to cartridge conversions by the time of his demise. Probably didn't make much difference since he was almost blind by then. Earp seldom carried a handgun. He was a large man and preferred to manhandle most lawbreakers. He did have shotguns stashed in businesses along main street that put one within a few steps of wherever he might be. Lawbreakers tended to become docile facing a double barreled hammer 10 or 12 gauge loaded with buckshot. Most western towns by the mid 1870's had ordinances prohibiting firearms inside town limits. Certainly people carried concealed in defiance but I suspect most complied.

Unlike Hardin and Hickok, Earp may be able to claim at least an assist at the OK Corral but there is no positive proof that he ever killed another person one on one despite movies and other hype including the Lake biography and Earp's own statements.

I think that if thrust into present day society, they would stick with their own, already 'known' weapon of choice.
    Talk about 'point shooting' experts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    .45 ACP loses out majorly due to low capacity and increased recoil
    Low capacity? I've got a 14+1 Kimber that disagrees. .45acp recoil is NOT bad at all.

I think that they would declare our laws a bunch of hooey...kind of like us.

I also would picture them with some sort of full-size double-stack semi auto pistol with some sort of backup gun. And, doing all they can to keep an rifle near them. I do not see any of them with a revolver as anything but a backup.
    To my knowledge, most if not all such men carried as many shots as they could get.
    Though they probably only needed one.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I think most of them would opt for a big bore N-Frame revolver &/or a 1911 type pistol, marksmanship and a calm under fire was what kept most of them alive during that era, so I don't think higher capacity would be an important priority.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I don't think higher capacity would be an important priority.
    Actually, capacity would have DEFINITELY been a very important priority. Capacity AND rate of fire. Do you honestly think a cowboy on the range in the mid-late 1800s would turn down a lever action rifle for a musket they might have used pre-Civil War? Hell no. They wouldn't turn a high capacity polymer framed handgun for a single action six shooter, either. They had NO IDEA what a "high capacity handgun" even was. But, if someone told them they could give them a firearm that was just as reliable and just as accurate with over twice the capacity before having to reload AND it was lighter? You can bet your damn bippy skippy they'd be all over that. Then they get to understand the concept of having pre-loaded magazines, too. And, that's not even addressing the durability of something like a Glock that could go for thousands of rounds fired without cleaning under some HARSH conditions...and not even break a "rust"...

Yeah, sure there might be a hold out or two, but the vast majority ain't gonna be stickin' with their single action six shooters. NO WAY. Even if they didn't "want" the advanced firearms, they definitely would END up with them...if they were smart...and lived long enough. Even Johnny Law back then wouldn't let themselves be out gunned by the roving gangs that we all know would definitely have had advanced high capacity semi-auto (or full auto) pistols and rifles. Much like the "militarization" of our police today with AR-15s, body armor, etc. They "need" it for the bad guys, whether we agree with that sentiment or not. Those cowboys back then wouldn't have thought any differently.

VIP Member
    Nice thread topic. I'm gonna sit back and read for a change.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I think they would go for modern technology, just not tupperware.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk60 View Post
    Actually, capacity would have DEFINITELY been a very important priority. Capacity AND rate of fire. Do you honestly think a cowboy on the range in the mid-late 1800s would turn down a lever action rifle for a musket they might have used pre-Civil War? Hell no. They wouldn't turn a high capacity polymer framed handgun for a single action six shooter, either. They had NO IDEA what a "high capacity handgun" even was. But, if someone told them they could give them a firearm that was just as reliable and just as accurate with over twice the capacity before having to reload AND it was lighter? You can bet your damn bippy skippy they'd be all over that. Then they get to understand the concept of having pre-loaded magazines, too. And, that's not even addressing the durability of something like a Glock that could go for thousands of rounds fired without cleaning under some HARSH conditions...and not even break a "rust"...

Yeah, sure there might be a hold out or two, but the vast majority ain't gonna be stickin' with their single action six shooters. NO WAY. Even if they didn't "want" the advanced firearms, they definitely would END up with them...if they were smart...and lived long enough. Even Johnny Law back then wouldn't let themselves be out gunned by the roving gangs that we all know would definitely have had advanced high capacity semi-auto (or full auto) pistols and rifles. Much like the "militarization" of our police today with AR-15s, body armor, etc. They "need" it for the bad guys, whether we agree with that sentiment or not. Those cowboys back then wouldn't have thought any differently.
    I agree somewhat with what you said, however, I still don't think capacity would be as important as accuracy for men (and some women) of that era plucked from that era and dropped into the 21st century. Capacity and rate of fire would certainly be a consideration for them, just as it was then (like the lever action rifles you mentioned), and once they had an opportunity to familirize themselves with the firearms of our era, I do believe some would choose those over a double action revolver or a 1911 style pistol. Ar-15's and similar rifles wouldbe popular with them not doubt, as would some of our modern semi-auto shotguns.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I still don't think capacity would be as important as accuracy for men (and some women) of that era plucked from that era and dropped into the 21st century.
    They might be a bit slow (understandably) to warm up at first, but as soon as they had some "hands on" and saw that *they* themselves could be just as accurate... Probably even MORE accurate with better sights (they glow in the dark?) and optics (long arms), as their old stuff...AND the advantage of capacity, rate of fire and extremely quick reloads... They'd convert QUICKLY. Not a doubt for a second... I'd bet it would take less than a day of training before the smart ones started saying, "THAT's what I want right there! What can I get for trade on this old smokewagon?" Sorry, I kid you not, honest, but we watched Tombstone last night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links