Old west legends meet modern culture

This is a discussion on Old west legends meet modern culture within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the likes of Hickock, Hardin, Holiday, or the Earps could come to our world today with the benefit of their historic experience, what do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old west legends meet modern culture

If the likes of Hickock, Hardin, Holiday, or the Earps could come to our world today with the benefit of their historic experience, what do you think they would pick to carry from our selection today. How do you think they would react when encountering today's criminal elements.

I'm inclined to think that they would stick with wheel guns of one sort or another, probably a seven or eight shot model.
    With, what today would be considered, excessive force.

VIP Member
    These guys tended to embrace technology. I'm thinking they'd go Glock.

Although they would likely be dumbfounded by our snafu of laws and subjective interpretations thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

Although they would likely be dumbfounded by our snafu of laws and subjective interpretations thereof.
    I agree.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I don't know, I can very well see Wild Bill packing a Taurus Judge
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

I agree totally. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for the highest round capacity possible.

Many people don't realize that the old west gunfighters were very intelligent and literate men.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    How do you think they would react when encountering today's criminal elements.
    Generally, as brothers-in-arms...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Agreed very much with WHEC, to the first.
    All of those guys were technologists, they were not sentimental about their tools of trade & commerce.
    Rather they were realists. Their life and livelihood depended on having the best horse, best guns and the best as possible intelligence.

In todays world those guys would be running with what ever was the hardest & heaviest firepower they could put hand to, and that means magazine capacity as well as muzzle energy.
    Exact same as what did actually occur during the so called Roaring 20s with crime and criminals a generation away from the western days.

As to the laws current, nothing now would be different to their view as it was then.
    Laws in those days were entirely capricious town to town, county to county, sherriff to sherriff and judge to judge.
    Who could be bought. Who could be sold. Who could be run off and who could be culled.
    They had no regard for 'laws' then and would not now, nor would they have reason to. Same as how Dillinger, Siegel and Nelson among many others did not give two cares of concern about laws.

They would all carry a Glock with _multiple_ high capacity magazines, likely chambered in 9MM for ease of recoil or .40 S&W for 'knock down power' too.
    .45 ACP loses out majorly due to low capacity and increased recoil whihc is unnecessary with todays modern chamberings and ammunition design.
    These guys would also be sure to select and have on tap duty grade quality ammunition rather than ball/FMJ as modern street criminals typically sport.

As well they all would be running with longguns too....AR15.
    Again a matter of capacity, knock down power (energy) and they are readily available in every state of the Union and as by international sales too, which these people would...and DO (see South American cartels) make use of current.

The old west cowboys are alive, and they never died.
    Their spirit of lawlessness and mayhem was not started by them nor did it end in their time.

- Pablo Escobar
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Bill Tighlman was still a Marshall in the 30s he carried a SAA
    Pat Garret was killed in the early 1900's He carried a SAA
    John Wesley Hardin was shot in the back in El Paso in 1895 he was carrying a cap and ball colt
    Wyatt Earp died of old age in 1939 I have no Idea what he carried.

I think they'd stick w/ technology they were familiar with

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    1. Revolvers, probably .357 Mags. I don't think they needed "high capacity."
    2. With extreme prejudice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Don't forget body armor.....remember the Clint Eastwood movie, not sure which one, but he had an iron plate over his chest.....I've go no doubt they would wear one today....

VIP Member
    I think they would stick with what they were familiar with, a wheel gun, probably a single action of some sort.

If they handled today's BG's the same as they did in their day, they wouldn't be on the streets long.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My fantasy is to go in the other direction, having the likes of Jerry Miculek and Bob Munden go back in time and take on the likes of John Wes H or some of the other bad guys. How fast do you think the Gunfight at the OK Coral would have been with some of the USPSA open shooters like Max Michele or Jesse Abate? That would sure be interesting to watch. Heck, Munden is using the same guns and sure don't look too dangerous - that is until he draws.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    My fantasy is to go in the other direction, having the likes of Jerry Miculek and Bob Munden go back in time and take on the likes of John Wes H or some of the other bad guys. How fast do you think the Gunfight at the OK Coral would have been with some of the USPSA open shooters like Max Michele or Jesse Abate? That would sure be interesting to watch. Heck, Munden is using the same guns and sure don't look too dangerous - that is until he draws.
    I suspect that, in the end, they would have the same thing happen to them as happened to Hickock and Hardin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links