How much does one take - Page 2

How much does one take

This is a discussion on How much does one take within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Koooooooz I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take. ... when ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does one take

Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take.

... when i was walking i herd someone drive by and they said some obscenities about me and my shirt ... i just reacted with my own obscenity back at the to let them know i did not appreciate there remark.

At this point i was regretting my decision and i was wishing i was not in this situation. These two gentlemen came in to the gas station and were continuing to let me know what they thought of me and my shirt. They were waiting next to my car when i got out and continued to try to start a fight ...
    They were trying to start a fight?? They? You're at the point of running your mouth once too often for your own good.

Pride is one of the seven deadlies, you know. We all know why. But those who run their mouths in such ways get shown why. These days, as always, it can get you killed. SHUT YOUR MOUTH, unless you want to gain first-hand understanding of just how far others are prepared to go when offered an opportunity to help you to their level of understanding.

I'd agree. You're not an even-tempered person, if you fling obscenities and disrespectful remarks at people. I suppose you could say that they were pushing for a fight. What I would say is this: YOU were pushing for a fight, just as hard.

Caution is due, if you're going to play that game. Alone or in a group, armed or not, you're going to ultimately lose that game. There really isn't anything more to be said, other than to suggest that if you've got a CHL and go around armed, then it's your responsibility to stop doing so until you get your mind right.

None of this is to suggest I'm any better than another, in this regard. Sure, I don't like to hear bad things flung at me. But I like fists and other hard objects thrown at my face even less. Remember what grandma used to say? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." How right she was. What do you care, that others are flinging disrespectful remarks at you. You don't know them. It's irrelevant. They're only showing their disrespect for themselves, their own dishonor. Let them. What do you care? Unless it actually corners you and gets in your face, at which point you have every right to say enough is enough. So long as you don't dare provoke any of it. Do that, and you'll find the law will hang you out to dry.

How much dose one take
    You apparently have no idea. Tip: Humans can take a tremendous amount, particularly if well motivated to remain out of jail and free of a felon's record, free to support your family with your head held high. The unsupported opinions of irrelevants in this world shouldn't dissuade you from having self-respect and focusing on your lifetime path of honor and upstanding actions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't waste my time getting worked up over what some idiot says...any idiot can say anything. Say something back, and they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Not worth it. Save your energy for something worth getting worked up over...like what someone DOES (not says) to you or your family that necessitates action. Rare instances in the grand scheme of things. The best advice is just ignore them and go on about your business.

PS. Dude....that's one ugly shirt!!!!!
    Last edited by BugDude; August 25th, 2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added PS
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    Thanks for everything like i said i knew posting something would get all kinds of remarks. like i also said i knew when i said something i should not have it was one of those knee jerk reactions. Bug Dude you sound like my dad which is the person i got this shirt from i think of all the advice here i like yours the best and i think that tactic will aid me in the future. for all that were wondering talk about a good cover

thanks Bug Dude and everyone else like i said lesson learned and what does not kill you makes you stronger
    Kooooz,

You either gotta wear that with a smile, or bury it.

Let it go. Being a man has nothing to do with beating the crap out of some idiot with a big mouth.
    Being a man has to do with the impact you leave on family and friends. That impact will not be much if you are maimed, dead or in prison.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    If wearing a shirt like that in Georgia one had better be secure in his manhood.

Some punks mouthing off at it is to be expected.

Just smile at them and take the high ground. No need to respond to rude or stupid comments.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I think I'd beat you up too for wearing that shirt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Be nice . . . shoot them, but be nice.

A twist of Patrick Swyzes's "Road House" lines if you didn't notice.

I've gotten old and mellow since my early days, and comments like those only remind me I was young and dumb once myself. These days, I try to keep my mind open and my mouth shut, the reverse of earlier times. But that shirt is a bit of a stretch.

I'll have to keep the "pink panties" rebuttal in mind, That was good!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Listen. Think. Act.

That is the advice I give my clients everday when they are working through personal problems. Most people forget the "think" part.

One thing you need to be thinking about at all times is YOUR BEHAVIOR. If crap hits the fan, what will all the witnesses be telling the police when they show up? Were you an innocent citizen that was verbally and physically attacked as you simply tried to avoid or diffuse the situation? From your post, it appears the gas station witnesses around you would not be painting a very pretty picture of your behavior. That's all I'd worry about. Who cares what someone thinks about your shirt. If you don't like people harrassing you about your clothes, then either ignore them or change your wardrobe. Once again, YOUR BEHAVIOR is the only thing you can ever control.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

You intended to escalate the situation, and succeeded. Sufficient repetition of this course of action will result in physical engagement, and potentially a shooting.
    It's normal to be bothered by insults.
    Part of good situational awareness is seeing a play unfold before others do. You either didn't see it, or didn't care about the consequences.
    Rethink about the position of not being "even tempered".

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    My fuse got dramatically longer when I started carrying. But sometimes, I really do want to tell people what is on my mind.
    Yep. Just a couple of days ago, I was out riding with my little boys (me on a bicycle, them on Razor scooters). This guy drove by and flipped me a bird for no reason whatsoever. Normally, I would flip him one right back, but considering that I had my M&P 45 Compact on my hip, I chose to ignore.

Someone on here has a great quote in their signature line that goes something like:

"You can afford to have a temper or you can afford to carry a gun. You can't afford both."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I think it's a very personal issue. And find out what the law says as well. In NC fighting words, threatening words, or any such like are not enough for deadly force. However, you can't let the fact that you are armed make you a pushover. What is the use in that if it emboldens the BG to prolong the issue and possibly escalate it? As long as you do nothing to provoke a physical altercation. There may be a situation where I feel I need to stand my ground verbally against someone. That does not give them the authority to attack me. So if they do attack me I maintain my ability to defend myself.

Don't ask for trouble. But don't back down so far that you encourage trouble. Somewhere in the middle of that is the answer.
    OK, I had seen a post here quite a while ago about being a "grey man". In effect don't go out of your way to get noticed. This seems to make a lot of sense. If you don't stand out, the jerks like these two will not have a reason to yell comments about your clothes. I think that makes sense, but after reading the above post I do also agree that maybe being to timid if someone starts something could give the impression that your an easy target for some phyisical abuse. Of course if your packing, and their not, bad day for them. But if a simple "Back off jerk" ends the situation than good.
    I also have my own opinion that wearing to plain of a clothing style isn't neccesarily the best choice when carrying. I tend to wear a lot of tee shirts, always with something on them, never plain one color tees. I figure if I am passing someone on the street with a picture or expression on my shirt most people are going to be drawn to the graphic, not my hip. It's the same as a magician's slight of hand/ divert attention technic.

On second thought, after seeing the shirt, just tell them, "Dude, I'm headed to a drum circle".
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I know what it's like to want to rip into someone who ticks me off. I was rarely that way til I hit menopause. :-(

But for me, there are 2 things to remember if someone honks me off.

1) Their response to me about what I look like, drive, or wear, or the bumper stickers on my car, tells me more about THEM than about me.
    2) The more I can relax about life the universe and everything, the less likely I am to get ticked off.

I am not responsible for anything anyone else thinks or says about me. I am responsible only for myself.

They aren't worth my time, energy, and freedom.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

You are who you are... if you want to wear gaudy shirts, wear 'em. But if you don't want trouble to come from it... learn to tone down the attitude. Professional comedians spend some time learning how to deal with hecklers... If you're gonna wear shirts like that, you better work on a repertoire of come back lines designed to both defuse the situation and make 'em smile (even if you're insulting 'em).

Not everyone in the CC world wants to be a "grey man." And, you shouldn't and don't have to. But, if you do things, wear things, drive things, that attract attention... or derision, you had better develop a thick skin... (or quit carrying) you simply have to let it slide. If you are gonna get assaulted over a shirt, that had better be the only thing that "caused" the assault... not your attitude about it, or the subsequent escalation caused by your defensive/offensive remarks...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have no idea how I would have handled that - one day it'd be one way and another day I'd probably react another way.

If she were with me - my wife is lots quicker to "pop off" at something like that than I am - then I'd have to deal with it as best as I could think of at the time.
    For God, Family and Country!

OK, I see the problem now. Thanks for posting a picture.

No, that shirt is trouble. Might as well be wearing the Confederate flag on your back. It's too strong of a statement - it looks tribal, like an African dashiki or something.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links