How much does one take - Page 4

How much does one take

This is a discussion on How much does one take within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Its not just fashion. It is how you carry yourself. The vibes you put out. Years ago, way before I carried, ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How much does one take

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Its not just fashion. It is how you carry yourself. The vibes you put out.
    Years ago, way before I carried, I read an article on this type of thing. Basically the cues BG's look for in a mark. My take aways were these- head up, look around, acknowledge folks, eye contact, and a strong gait. Not a swagger. Just a strong walk.

The opposite is head down, don't look at anyone, arms folded, little steps, and trying to disappear is like pouring blood in the water around sharks. You may miss attention from most folks, but you gain it from the ones you don't want to.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

True. I went to an awards ceremony a short while back. I was introduced to someone I didn't know. He said to me, "I knew you were, xxxx's dad, I could tell by your walk. Now I know where he got it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just re-read the thread. Great shirt. Seriously I'd be able to wear it and no one would do anything more than smile.
    (Of course Mrs. Hopyard wouldn't let me out the door so moot point.)

I think there is something about the way you carry yourself, and something about your own assessment of your stature that is sending out vibes that set this incident in motion.

Violating my own rule about going grey, I often wear T shirts with various advertisements. I'm cheap, why pay for a T shirt if someone will give one to you. Wearing a shirt that advertises a Bail Bond company you'd think would get some attention from the future clientele or prior customers.

The thing is, I don't go down the street with a swagger or attitude or an out of it look, or the look of an easy mark. In 67 years of living on earth--24 in The Bronx, and not in a good part of it either, I've never had the sort of unexpected abuse directed at me that a few here other than this OP have encountered. Its not just fashion. It is how you carry yourself. The vibes you put out.
    There's a good part of the Bronx?! JK!

Don't sweat the small stuff and definitely don't let the not so bright crowd dim your day.

(My reaction to the taunting would have been something like "so....you....don't...like the shirt?! Wow! Thats the last time I listen to your old lady." I know, not the best thing to say in the situation, but I gotta be me )
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

All I'm going to say is that you made the situation worse. You ramped things up to the point where they continued on with their harassment. Had things have gotten out of hand, and ended up in a deadly force encounter, you would have had a lot of explaining to do. Whether or not you would have gone to prison over it, is anybody's guess, but make no mistake about it, you perpetuated the situation by reacting to their bad manners.

Now, if you think a little ridicule is too much for a "man" to have to endure, then I seriously suggest you quit carrying a gun unless you don't mind throwing your life away over pride and not knowing how much guff a man has to take.

BTW... If I was wearing that shirt, in some of the area's I live, I would expect to be stomped, not just a few unkind words hurled my direction. Of course you're allowed to wear whatever you want. It's a free country. Just don't be surprised... because that line just don't wash.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    Thanks for everything like i said i knew posting something would get all kinds of remarks. like i also said i knew when i said something i should not have it was one of those knee jerk reactions. Bug Dude you sound like my dad which is the person i got this shirt from i think of all the advice here i like yours the best and i think that tactic will aid me in the future. for all that were wondering talk about a good cover

thanks Bug Dude and everyone else like i said lesson learned and what does not kill you makes you stronger
    If you are African American, this shirt should be no big deal. It's a reflection of your pride in your heritage and no one should be ashamed of their heritage and picked on because of it. It might look odd for a non African to wear it but again, if that is what they like, then that is their freedom to choose to wear it. Anyone shouldn't let let others' opinion prevent them from doing so. Preferably, if I had a choice between wearing anything pink or this wardrobe of yours, I would rather wear your wardrobe(LOL).

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    totally unexpected....I got nothing!
    As far as your shirt goes, it looks cool to me, Koooz.

3D
    "It's not what happens, but your opinion of what happens that matters"__Epictetus

What anyone else 'says' about my shirt, spiked hair, tattoos or piercings is up to them (if I were serious I might ask myself my motive/s for having them . . . what's my 'payoff'?). It's not reasonable to expect no reaction from others.

What we do about what they say is totally within our control and is up to us - not them. Choosing appropriate behavior is the responsibility. (As in . .consider the consequences.)
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

After reviewing the contents of this thread, i guess I have a lot to learn. I'll just leave it at that.

there is something I learned when I was about six and it goes "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"! remember that the next time someone flings an obscenity your way. you just have to realize that some people are not as mature and like to encourage physical altercations. don't lower yourself to that level, be the adult.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

With the way that things can escalate, when I hear a rude/untoward comment, I ask myself a question. Is this something that I would want to have to kill someone over?

Quote Originally Posted by hopyard View Post
    speak softly and carry a big glock.
    Quote of the day!!!!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    After reviewing the contents of this thread, i guess I have a lot to learn. I'll just leave it at that.
    That realization is actually a big step in the maturation process of whatever subject you are talking about. The fact that you are on this forum means you are studying and searching for knowledge and wisdom that others have gained from their experience. That's why I'm here myself. To learn from others and hopefully share some things that may help others as well.

The people who are dangerous are the ones that don't even realize all of the things they don't know. I realized this as I looked back on my career. Early on, I thought I knew everything. Now I look back and think I didn't even realize all of the stuff I didn't know. Now I realize that I learn something new everyday either about my job, people, relationships, etc. There's always more to learn regardless of where we are on our journey.

The fine folks on this forum are a wealth of information, knowledge, and wisdom. The wisdom part is by far the most valuable. Many of these folks have been carrying for 40+ years. They've been there and done it. We have the opportunity to benefit from their experience without having to go through those trials and tribulations ourselves. That's a gift.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Everyone usually wears the same uniform in prison. If you can't let it go and have to physically harm someone over a rude comment your world will get seriously upended.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take. I was at the gas station after a day at the mall while wearing a very loud colorful shirt (that i had gotten complements on throughout the day). Back to the gas station when i was walking i herd someone drive by and they said some obscenities about me and my shirt. This is where i show myself i completely understand that this was not the right thing to do but i just reacted with my own obscenity back at the to let them know i did not appreciate there remark. At this point i was regretting my decision and i was wishing i was not in this situation. These two gentlemen came in to the gas station and were continuing to let me know what they thought of me and my shirt. I laughed it off and tried to let it go but still had to run my mouth a little (stupid decision). They were waiting next to my car when i got out and continued to try to start a fight, i tried to deescalate the situation by asking if i needed to call the police. I was not going to fight them one decided to advance towards me and raise his voice i talked him down and basically they left.

I admit all of this could have been avoided by swallowing my pride in the beginning but as men how much can you take and how much do you take before speaking up for your self. Being a thin taller guy people think that is a excuse to walk all over me but ya what are some opinions from people that have had similar situations.
    How much does one take?

As much as one can to avoid a gunfight!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One technique you might want to try is to join in the taunts against yourself. Being able to laugh at yourself is a tool of self confidence and often diffuses difficult situations.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links