How much does one take

This is a discussion on How much does one take within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you carry a gun it's supposed to be humbling. Next time keep your mouth shut and laugh it off inside, this could have turned ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How much does one take

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    When you carry a gun it's supposed to be humbling. Next time keep your mouth shut and laugh it off inside, this could have turned into you spending your life in prison of not dead.

2. Remove Ads

Bug dude's dad said "Never miss a good opportunity to shut up!" I've lived my whole life by this rule.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    My fuse got dramatically longer when I started carrying. But sometimes, I really do want to tell people what is on my mind.
    +1 yep
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take. I was at the gas station after a day at the mall while wearing a very loud colorful shirt (that i had gotten complements on throughout the day). Back to the gas station when i was walking i herd someone drive by and they said some obscenities about me and my shirt. This is where i show myself i completely understand that this was not the right thing to do but i just reacted with my own obscenity back at the to let them know i did not appreciate there remark. At this point i was regretting my decision and i was wishing i was not in this situation. These two gentlemen came in to the gas station and were continuing to let me know what they thought of me and my shirt. I laughed it off and tried to let it go but still had to run my mouth a little (stupid decision). They were waiting next to my car when i got out and continued to try to start a fight, i tried to deescalate the situation by asking if i needed to call the police. I was not going to fight them one decided to advance towards me and raise his voice i talked him down and basically they left.

I admit all of this could have been avoided by swallowing my pride in the beginning but as men how much can you take and how much do you take before speaking up for your self. Being a thin taller guy people think that is a excuse to walk all over me but ya what are some opinions from people that have had similar situations.
    I just turn a deaf ear.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    Well you're definitely making a fashion statement.

If you're going to wear a shirt like that you've got to be accepting of the fact that there are dumb fools out there that will harass you over it.

Don't fall for the bait.

With that shirt, you don't need a gun to frighten people.

If you want to wear that shirt, move to FL...you'll fit right in.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

gotta ignore the fools sometimes
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member
    Like people with road rage, you just gotta ignore peoples remarks. They are probably trying to overcompensate for something anyway, you should feel bad for them.

How much does one take
    How much does one take? My friend I take as much as required to keep my butt out of a legal sling. If someone does not like something I am wearing, I really do not care. If they want to mouth off about my shirt (not likely since I tend to dress low key) then that is their right. Say what ever you want. You might just suspect I am deaf because i will not react. I am not about to get myself in a position where I may have to shoot some moron because I said something to him. I will try to defuse a situation any way I can if needed.

I used to have a short temper but as I get older, my temper gets better every year.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

B94
    I had a shirt just like that. But some thin taller guy mugged me and stole it. I want it back!!!
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by B94 View Post
    I want it back!!!
    Why?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You know, BGs, wise guys, and their type really didn't pick you out because you are a thin taller guy. They picked you out because somehow you stood out and made a spectacle of yourself with that shirt. That doesn't excuse their conduct which amounted to assault, but you did make yourself a target.

Take that lovely shirt, throw it in the fireplace this fall, and watch your mouth. You'll live longer.
    You're right, I dont agree. It's one thing not to escalate something or react...but to allow others to dictate what you wear? Or where you go? Or at what hour? Etc Etc.

No way. There is prudent in 'situations' and there is letting others opinions and actions dictate your life. It is BS, IMO, to let others tell you how to live your life.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    OK, I see the problem now. Thanks for posting a picture.

No, that shirt is trouble. Might as well be wearing the Confederate flag on your back. It's too strong of a statement - it looks tribal, like an African dashiki or something.

?? And what's wrong with wearing something ethnic? Or tribal? Or gaudy? What about it is a statement?

Many of you want people to respect your rights to carry a firearm and cant respect a person's right to wear what they want?????
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Many of you want people to respect your rights to carry a firearm and cant respect a person's right to wear what they want?????
    Someone noting that trouble's likely to be found isn't the same as disrespecting a person's right to wear whatever clothing is desired. Two very different things. It's a "don't shoot the messenger" type of thing, seems to me. Though, shockwave'll have to confirm for certain (if he/she cares to do so).

Example: "Spitting isn't going to make you many friends, George." That's hardly saying I'm refusing to be friends with George. Rather, it's simply informing George of the opinion that many folks won't take kindly to being spit upon.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes, ccw9mm has summarized my take succinctly.

Oh please. You know, there's a T-shirt you can buy, and it's black with white letters that read, "Harley Davidson riders give great BJs - ask any Honda rider." (slightly edited here so as to be family friendly) Now, it's a free country. You are welcome to wear such garments as suit your taste and preference of the moment. Nobody is acting in a haberdasherial capacity with respect to your wardrobe. But I do know of a number of bars in Daytona Beach, FL, where wearing that T-shirt would get you killed.

In Jerzy Kosiński's novel, The Painted Bird, there is man whose hobby is to capture a flocking bird, such as a crow, and he daubs some of its feathers with bright paint, and releases it. The bird flies back to its flock, and it is not recognized by the other birds, who see the colored markings and think it is bird of a different species so they attack it and kill it. In a similar way, our own clothing does communicate messages about us to others. To pretend that it does not is the height of naivete.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links