How much does one take

This is a discussion on How much does one take within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "haberdasherial" That was great! I dare anyone, including me, to find a way to use this word in a sentence. Shockwave, when it comes to ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: How much does one take

"haberdasherial" That was great! I dare anyone, including me, to find a way to use this word in a sentence. Shockwave, when it comes to the written word, you are the
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Yes, ccw9mm has summarized my take succinctly.

Oh please. You know, there's a T-shirt you can buy, and it's black with white letters that read, "Harley Davidson riders give great BJs - ask any Honda rider." (slightly edited here so as to be family friendly) Now, it's a free country. You are welcome to wear such garments as suit your taste and preference of the moment. Nobody is acting in a haberdasherial capacity with respect to your wardrobe. But I do know of a number of bars in Daytona Beach, FL, where wearing that T-shirt would get you killed.

In Jerzy Kosiński's novel, The Painted Bird, there is man whose hobby is to capture a flocking bird, such as a crow, and he daubs some of its feathers with bright paint, and releases it. The bird flies back to its flock, and it is not recognized by the other birds, who see the colored markings and think it is bird of a different species so they attack it and kill it. In a similar way, our own clothing does communicate messages about us to others. To pretend that it does not is the height of naivete.
    I dont see much difference. People are blaming someone's clothes...somewhat like blaming a rape victim. That is a bit stronger than I mean, but it's parallel. It's perfectly normal to get an impression of someone from their clothing. Many people do use their clothes to make a statement....I found it troubling that wearing something 'ethnic' was considered 'too strong' a statement. Maybe that was just my personal view of it...we all have our opinions/
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

That's some shirt. Those guys just don't know a good thing when they see it.

The most important thing out of all of this is that you learned something. You simply cannot respond to people that flip you off and call you names. They are nothing and don't deserve a response. You do have to keep your eye on them in case they take your ignoring them as a sign of weakness and try to escalate the situation.

Now if you want to wear a shirt like that out in public, depending on where you are, you have to expect a lot of attention, good and bad. My suggestion would be to wear it like you are proud of it and it means something to you. Stand tall and strut your stuff!
    Question Everything!

All joking aside, the shirt itself isn't the issue...it's your response to someone giving you crap (whether about a shirt or anything else). Ignore the fools or just wave at 'em like you thought they said "hey."

I don't waste my energy getting upset about what people say...any fool can say anything. Who is the bigger fool, the imbicile that says something stupid or the one that over-reacts to it? I'm not going to be some idiot's puppet on a string and give them the reaction they're looking for.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Cool

Back in the early 70's I was working vice/narcotics and my partner who was black use to wear those shirts all the time. They are called dashekees (not sure of the spelling). It was an era of peace and love and even the white boys wore them. He got me one and I loved it. It concealed anything I wanted it to including a sawed off 12 guage. I am starting to see them again (fashion is a circle). Great cover garment, two guns, extra mags, pepper spray,ASP baton, Taser, flashlight ect.,ect. Now a days I wear Tommy Bahama or Guy Harvey, of course I am 40 years older.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

You take it until you decide it's worth killing some one, and paying the consequences over.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    You're right, I dont agree. It's one thing not to escalate something or react...but to allow others to dictate what you wear? Or where you go? Or at what hour? Etc Etc.

No way. There is prudent in 'situations' and there is letting others opinions and actions dictate your life. It is BS, IMO, to let others tell you how to live your life.
    Good point, but you have to remember that you live in the NW (Seattle are?) that is pretty tolerant of strange attire including men wearing dresses. Some parts of the country that will get you beat and dragged behind a pick up.

Second I think most folks are saying if you are going to dress in an attention getting manner expect attention. Don't wine about the attention and don't turn it into a gun fight.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I am wearing a Cuban-style Guayabera shirt at the coffee shop today after church and no one is looking at me strange. However, I do get nice compliments saying it's a good cigar shirt and one even said I looked like a bail bondsman (don't know how they came up with that=LOL).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You take it until you decide it's worth killing some one, and paying the consequences over.
    If you think that is a viable option, as compared with walking away, you will one day be in major doo with the law.

You leave if you can, seek a safer place if you can, call out for help if possible via cell phone or your voice box, and unless there are direct immediate threats in the form of weapons and thrown punches, "The Gravest Extreme," you take it.
    And if you react only in The Gravest Extreme, the consequences should be reasonably minimal; whereas if you act before The Gravest Extreme you could face a murder charge.

A statement is not always a suggestion, merely a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If you think that is a viable option, as compared with walking away, you will one day be in major doo with the law.
    Why don't you take off your "I hate Treo" glasses and go back and really read what I said and really think about what the words mean.

We'll wait

mrm
    unnamed.jpgI see 9mmmare's point totally about being able to wear whatever you want with the fear of someone's stupid attitude about it. But how about shirts like this one. I see this one quite frequently and I dont say anything but to me it is racist and I see the person wearing it as ignorant and I will not go out of my way to help them in any way.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Why don't you take off your "I hate Treo" glasses and go back and really read what I said and really think about what the words mean.

We'll wait
    I assure you I don't hate you. Disagree but not hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    They were trying to start a fight?? They? You're at the point of running your mouth once too often for your own good.

Pride is one of the seven deadlies, you know. We all know why. But those who run their mouths in such ways get shown why. These days, as always, it can get you killed. SHUT YOUR MOUTH, unless you want to gain first-hand understanding of just how far others are prepared to go when offered an opportunity to help you to their level of understanding.

I'd agree. You're not an even-tempered person, if you fling obscenities and disrespectful remarks at people. I suppose you could say that they were pushing for a fight. What I would say is this: YOU were pushing for a fight, just as hard.

Caution is due, if you're going to play that game. Alone or in a group, armed or not, you're going to ultimately lose that game. There really isn't anything more to be said, other than to suggest that if you've got a CHL and go around armed, then it's your responsibility to stop doing so until you get your mind right.

None of this is to suggest I'm any better than another, in this regard. Sure, I don't like to hear bad things flung at me. But I like fists and other hard objects thrown at my face even less. Remember what grandma used to say? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." How right she was. What do you care, that others are flinging disrespectful remarks at you. You don't know them. It's irrelevant. They're only showing their disrespect for themselves, their own dishonor. Let them. What do you care? Unless it actually corners you and gets in your face, at which point you have every right to say enough is enough. So long as you don't dare provoke any of it. Do that, and you'll find the law will hang you out to dry.

You apparently have no idea. Tip: Humans can take a tremendous amount, particularly if well motivated to remain out of jail and free of a felon's record, free to support your family with your head held high. The unsupported opinions of irrelevants in this world shouldn't dissuade you from having self-respect and focusing on your lifetime path of honor and upstanding actions.

Hey. I just wanted to take a second to say thank you. I've had anger issues in my past that I work on daily. Your post really made me think and put some things into perspective. We don't know each other but thank you for your insight.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links