How much does one take

How much does one take

This is a discussion on How much does one take within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take. I was at the gas station ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does one take

How much does one take

I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take. I was at the gas station after a day at the mall while wearing a very loud colorful shirt (that i had gotten complements on throughout the day). Back to the gas station when i was walking i herd someone drive by and they said some obscenities about me and my shirt. This is where i show myself i completely understand that this was not the right thing to do but i just reacted with my own obscenity back at the to let them know i did not appreciate there remark. At this point i was regretting my decision and i was wishing i was not in this situation. These two gentlemen came in to the gas station and were continuing to let me know what they thought of me and my shirt. I laughed it off and tried to let it go but still had to run my mouth a little (stupid decision). They were waiting next to my car when i got out and continued to try to start a fight, i tried to deescalate the situation by asking if i needed to call the police. I was not going to fight them one decided to advance towards me and raise his voice i talked him down and basically they left.

I admit all of this could have been avoided by swallowing my pride in the beginning but as men how much can you take and how much do you take before speaking up for your self. Being a thin taller guy people think that is a excuse to walk all over me but ya what are some opinions from people that have had similar situations.

To each his own. I try to be pleasant to people, even if I have to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    To each his own. I try to be pleasant to people, even if I have to shoot them.

Was it Winston Churchill who said; "When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite"?

Well........If you learned something from the "matter" then I believe all is well. Personally, I have found myself a wee bit shorter tempered this summer, but it has passed. I can understand. Just keep learning, and don't over analyze situations after the fact.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

My fuse got dramatically longer when I started carrying. But sometimes, I really do want to tell people what is on my mind.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    My fuse got dramatically longer when I started carrying. But sometimes, I really do want to tell people what is on my mind.
    This is what happened to me also.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I think it's a very personal issue. And find out what the law says as well. In NC fighting words, threatening words, or any such like are not enough for deadly force. However, you can't let the fact that you are armed make you a pushover. What is the use in that if it emboldens the BG to prolong the issue and possibly escalate it? As long as you do nothing to provoke a physical altercation. There may be a situation where I feel I need to stand my ground verbally against someone. That does not give them the authority to attack me. So if they do attack me I maintain my ability to defend myself.

Don't ask for trouble. But don't back down so far that you encourage trouble. Somewhere in the middle of that is the answer.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koooooooz View Post
    I would not say i am an even tempered guy but there is only so much i can take.
    I'm not sure if you meant to say you are an even tempered fellow or to say you are not an even tempered fellow.

I was at the gas station after a day at the mall while wearing a very loud colorful shirt (that i had gotten complements on throughout the day). Back to the gas station when i was walking i herd someone drive by and they said some obscenities about me and my shirt.
    So? Big deal. There are jerks in this world.

This is where i show myself i completely understand that this was not the right thing to do but i just reacted with my own obscenity back at the to let them know i did not appreciate there remark.
    Well, you now know what answering back can do for you.

These two gentlemen came in to the gas station and were continuing to let me know what they thought of me and my shirt. I laughed it off and tried to let it go but still had to run my mouth a little (stupid decision).
    There are times to run your mouth, and this wasn't one of them. Speak softly and carry a big Glock.

They were waiting next to my car when i got out and continued to try to start a fight
    Time to go in to the gas station office and ask them to call 911 for you while you also use your cell phone to do the same.

, i tried to deescalate the situation by asking if i needed to call the police.
    Lucky you it worked. What if they had gotten more hostile, thinking that if you tried to call they'd just grab the cell phone from you? Oooooh, they were so scared. You was gonna call demcops.

I was not going to fight them one decided to advance towards me and raise his voice i talked him down and basically they left.
    Everyone's lucky day.

I admit all of this could have been avoided by swallowing my pride in the beginning but as men how much can you take
    Whatever it takes to stay out of jail, stay out of a fight, avoid getting harmed and avoid having to harm someone else.

The, "as a man" argument doesn't cut it. In reality, that usually gets seen by police, judge and jury as, "as a fool."

and how much do you take before speaking up for your self.
    G-d gave you legs and feet to beat a path out of there. If they attacked you while you are trying to get away, you would be in the right to assume (two aggressive idiots against 1 equals disparity of force).

Being a thin taller guy people think that is a excuse to walk all over me but ya what are some opinions from people that have had similar situations.
    You know, BGs, wise guys, and their type really didn't pick you out because you are a thin taller guy. They picked you out because somehow you stood out and made a spectacle of yourself with that shirt. That doesn't excuse their conduct which amounted to assault, but you did make yourself a target.

I realize folks don't all agree with me when I talk about blending in. If you go around looking like a tough guy (when you aren't) the result is predictable. If you go around looking like you are carrying 3 grand in your pocket, guess what is going to happen as you get into your "Porch." (Yeah, its misspelled because there's a great joke about a guy who hired some folks from the other side of the border to paint his home's porch. When he got back, his Porsche was painted. ) If you wear tattered jeans in the upscale district, somehow trouble will find you when one of the "better than thou" decide you can't possibly be in that neighborhood for anything but burglary.

Take that lovely shirt, throw it in the fireplace this fall, and watch your mouth. You'll live longer.

Mister, if you have THAT much trouble being a man in a shirt, you wouldn't survive one day as a woman.

I like to wear lightweight tank tops, sometimes beater tank tops, in the heat of the summer when I work outside. When I leave my yard I throw on a cover shirt coz of all the dang dogs out there who can't keep their mouths shut.
    Why? Tanks are comfortable for me, not showing off anything that I "shouldn't" and I have the right to wear whatever I feel comfortable in right? Why should I change what I'm wearing for "them"?
    Coz it's much less hassle, makes my day go smoother, that's all.

If you want to stick out or wear "off the wall" shirts then expect comments and learn to shurg them off.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I wear a lot of short sleeve button up Hawaiian shirts in the summer (great cover wear). Bright colors with flowers....kind of like Magnum PI, the later years (much later, like fat, bald, ugly, and no Ferrari later). When people make some passing remark or flip me off driving or something, I just wave like a goofy Forrest Gump wave like they're a long lost friend I haven't seen in years and yell "Heeeeey". It takes people off guard and I don't have to shoot off my mouth or anything else. Idiots aren't worth getting your blood pressure up over.

One guy in a convenience store was joking and carrying on with people in the store and asked me, "How far did you chase that clown to get that shirt off of him?" and I said, "He made it about 2 blocks after he left your house this morning when I caught him...and there was a pair of pink panties in the pocket. Your old lady want them back?" The guy busted out laughing so hard he couldn't breathe. He was still in there doubled over laughing histerically as I walked out and got in my truck.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Mister, if you have THAT much trouble being a man in a shirt, you wouldn't survive one day as a woman.
    That has the ring of truth.

Also - I'd like to know more about this shirt. Remember the "Silly Hat Rule." You have the right to wear a silly hat. People have the right to laugh at you for wearing that hat.

If you deny people the right to laugh at your hat, they may take umbrage. And then you have a situation.

I'm with the guy above who says, "burn the shirt." Good fashion doesn't draw cat calls.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

My Dad calls them "Go to Heck" hats (or shirts, or whatever). Except, he doesn't say heck. If people don't like them, they can go to heck. Wear a goofy shirt, expect goofy reactions. I drive antique Volkswagens. One painted like Herbie the Love Bug and one painted like a 60s Flower Power hippy car. Drive a goofy car, expect goofy reactions. I wear or drive unusual things because I like them...I could care less what anyone else thinks. Free country, opinions are like...you know. I was given the gift of not caring what anyone else thinks. Easy not to get worked up when you don't care.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Everyone says when I get ticked, or a "serious" look...... it's enough to make people want to run. The dog runs and hides. So, that works for me.
    Many times I've asked, "what did you say" with the look, and they never want to repeat it to me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you.

If you can't take the verbal abuse, maybe you should grow up a little bit before you carry a deadly weapon? Prisons are full of guys that had to respond, "like a man" or because they were disrespected. If you're one of those types, continue to verbally engage the riff-raff. You will most likely bite off more than you can chew at some point.

Your post gave rise to some "issues" that I think need to be addressed. I'll clue you in by asking, why are you getting picked on? What is it about your demeanor that sparks these responses? I'm not a big guy, or a Billy Bad-A, but I seldom have these type of issues. I have no swagger in my walk, yet I don't walk around people either. Maybe you just need some "seasoning", I don't know.

Please don't take my post as an insult, as that is not my intent. I am hoping that you can look at what is posted here, by myself and others, and start looking deep into yourself to find some answers. This is life, and there are no do-overs like in grade school.

Biker

Thanks for everything like i said i knew posting something would get all kinds of remarks. like i also said i knew when i said something i should not have it was one of those knee jerk reactions. Bug Dude you sound like my dad which is the person i got this shirt from i think of all the advice here i like yours the best and i think that tactic will aid me in the future. for all that were wondering talk about a good cover

thanks Bug Dude and everyone else like i said lesson learned and what does not kill you makes you stronger

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links