Your SA vs. spouse/family SA

This is a discussion on Your SA vs. spouse/family SA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are describing what more than likely will turn into a multiple crime scene scenario. The first being the point of abduction/shooting and the second ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your SA vs. spouse/family SA

You are describing what more than likely will turn into a multiple crime scene scenario. The first being the point of abduction/shooting and the second being the location of the bodies. Once you are in a car with the bad guy your chances of living start to fall, but you have one big advantage, control of the vehicle at this point. My wife would do ask requested, put the car in gear and floor it while telling him to toss his gun out the window followed by him jumping out if he wanted to have a chance at living. If the bad guy is in the passenger seat she will take out the right side of the car with a tree, poll or any other hard feature. She might kill herself but she will take him along with her.

Don't mess with the missus, heck, she even scares me sometimes.

2. Remove Ads

I would suggest that the sudden unexpected rearward acceleration of the vehicle will far more likely result in him going down rather than in.

If he initially gets the door unlatched, the force of the rearward moving vehicle will open the door further (unless a "suicide" door). Since most of his body is "covered" by the door... If you are parked in a busy lot with cars on both sides and in front, the door either "funnels" him in, or just jams against the next car and maybe get's ripped off if there's enough momentum started. (That would be best... BG with gun still holding your door, you have backed out past him... he has to drop the door before you pin him to the next car with yours and the door and put the squeeze on him.)

But if that doesn't happen, I think the initial accelleration in reverse from a dead stop will not create enough momentum to knock him down, more likely somewhat gently scoop him up and in...

My opinion only... but I really think that's what would happen...

Now, if you're parked way out and no cars surround yours, you can change direction several times and beat him with the door maybe. In the mean time, your wife is screamiing in your ear you're dealing with the wheel and the shifter... your hands are occupied... you can't draw... well, you can but you gonna lose control of the vehicle...

Now if my theory of physics is wrong and yours is right, we're okay... I think, at worst, it's a 50/50 shot he's in your car and MAD, with a gun near your wife's head.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I just accidently deleted my post!

Ok, I'll try again.

I know one thing is CERTAIN!

"We are NOT going anywhere!"

"Whatever is going to happen, WILL happen in the parking space; AND it will happen instantly!

In my mind, it's FAR better to mount a defense in a WW or GS parking lot than to wait until we are out on county RD 216; 60mi from BF Egypt.

Besides:
    My 45 will shoot "down" through the roof of my vehicle; AND my wife's 40SW has no problem going through the seat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly;
    This is another scenario I just can't see happening in "my" world.

First: The BG would have to go "completely" undetected on mine and my wife's SA radar.

Second: My wife usually remains "outside" the vehicle a watches my back; with her own firearm.

Third: There really is NO room to get in the backseat of ANY of our vehicles. (The best a BG could hope for is to stand outside and ask for our money; or maybe demand we give him the car.)

BUT!!!
    The BG would still have to "COMPLTELY" escape our radar! I just don't see that as something "likely" to happen.

Good points Oakchas.
    A couple additional factors.
    With the bias to remain closed (unlatched) or open, I don't believe that the aceleration would be enough to swing the door open, from a near closed position. Have you tried to close a passenger door by backing up then suddenly stopping. It takes quite a bit to shut the door. I believe the same holds true for swinging the door open.
    Another possiblity. If he has the door open partially, with the rearward acceleration the rear edge of the door is what will empact him knocking him over.
    Personally, I would place it more like 80/20 or better, against him getting in the car.
    Should he actually get in, that would present a different set of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Your situational awareness is probably a bit more developed than your spouse and that of your non armed family. Here is a scenarion based on that probability. You are bent over leaning into the trunk putting groceries into it. Your wife calls out to see if you are ok. You answer yes and look up, You see nothing. She has already started the car and rolled all windows down. You get into the car, and right after you get in the car, a man with a gun gets into the backseat and points his gun to your wifes head. What do you do now, All he tells you to do is drive.
    Put my gun against the seat and empty it

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    btw, your wife is in the passenger seat, car is running to get ac running
    No, she isn't I never drive when she's in the car

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No need to draw, drop it in reverse and hit the gas when I hear the door open.
    How would you know it's not your kid getting out of the car to pickup a toy he dropped outside while getting in?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Uh, I guess be a good witness?

Our kids are long since grown and gone. For those with children, that would present an additional problem.
    One thing I neglected to mention earlier is that when I enter the car, as I pull the door shut, I hit the lock button for the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaiga308 View Post
    How would you know it's not your kid getting out of the car to pickup a toy he dropped outside while getting in?
    That's what I was thinking. I imagine most of us, when we get in our car, may look in the back seat first, then when getting in, concentrate our focus downward, to the side, to the front.

I don't know about professionally trained people, but I would think that most of us would not have the reflexes to make a split second reaction/decision:

"A door sound." "my car." "Danger!" "door opening." "kids in the car? Y or N?" "No." "Danger increasing." "What's the best thing to do?" "Back out." Change gears. Move foot from brake to accelerator. Slam foot to the floor -- all without taking the time to look back there to see if there's a BG in your back seat. -- all the while your amygdala is firing in a blind panic.

And, hope, by the way, that there's no little old lady behind you taking her groceries to her car, or a dad with a little kid in hand.

Our brains work fast, but THAT fast? With so many unknowns? Idunno...
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

An additional point. With our vehicle, there is a button on the fob to open the rear cargo door to enter items. When the button to open the passenger doors is hit, it only unlocks the front doors with the first push. As there is only two of us, the rear doors are rarely unlocked.

I hope you're right!

"Ooops! Sorry there! You startled me.. what was it you wanted?"

"Just Drive"

'I can't! I think I broke it!"

"Drive or the ol' lady gets it!"

"It's broke, It won't go!" (Racing the engine.)

"I'm gonna shoot!, I swear.. Put the thing in gear!"

"Huh?" (Slam it in gear at the same time revving engine)

"Bad things being said"

Slam on brakes... other gear... race engine, hit other parked car (not hard enough to deploy air bags)... Hope for the best!

If your car is really disabled, he won't be able to go anywhere... that's what he seemed to want.... somewhere in here I hope to have gotten to my weapon. And can point it at him... or otherwise grabbed his gun or something...

If I've got a crazy in my car with a gun, pointed at my wife, I'm going to try to do whatever it takes to get him disarmed or off balance (physically/mentally)... I'm going to pretend to be completely scared out of my wits and out of control, watching for opportunity. (he expects me to be afraid of him... I'm going to give him what he expects, in spades... I think this is the only way out once he is in the car with a gun pointed at her head.) So, he thinks I've lost my wits, and can't control the car, my flailing arms, or anything else... I hope that my shenanigans have given me several micro opportunities to capitalize on.

If the gun goes off, I'm as "all over him" as I can get... I'll grab the gun, his/mine... don't matter. I will climb the seat after him... he does not wnat to be in this car with me... and I hope, and will do all in my power, to make sure he doesn't leave it alive.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I hope you're right!

"Ooops! Sorry there! You startled me.. what was it you wanted?"

"Just Drive"

'I can't! I think I broke it!"

"Drive or the ol' lady gets it!"

"It's broke, It won't go!" (Racing the engine.)

"I'm gonna shoot!, I swear.. Put the thing in gear!"

"Huh?" (Slam it in gear at the same time revving engine)

"Bad things being said"

Slam on brakes... other gear... race engine, hit other parked car (not hard enough to deploy air bags)... Hope for the best!

If your car is really disabled, he won't be able to go anywhere... that's what he seemed to want.... somewhere in here I hope to have gotten to my weapon. And can point it at him... or otherwise grabbed his gun or something...

If I've got a crazy in my car with a gun, pointed at my wife, I'm going to try to do whatever it takes to get him disarmed or off balance (physically/mentally)... I'm going to pretend to be completely scared out of my wits and out of control, watching for opportunity. (he expects me to be afraid of him... I'm going to give him what he expects, in spades... I think this is the only way out once he is in the car with a gun pointed at her head.) So, he thinks I've lost my wits, and can't control the car, my flailing arms, or anything else... I hope that my shenanigans have given me several micro opportunities to capitalize on.

If the gun goes off, I'm as "all over him" as I can get... I'll grab the gun, his/mine... don't matter. I will climb the seat after him... he does not wnat to be in this car with me... and I hope, and will do all in my power, to make sure he doesn't leave it alive.
    In general, I agree with your line of thinking on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Our kids are long since grown and gone. For those with children, that would present an additional problem.
    One thing I neglected to mention earlier is that when I enter the car, as I pull the door shut, I hit the lock button for the doors.
    Call me paranoid but I never enter or exit my car w/ anything but my keys in my hands and I always do a quick 360 either right before I get in or right after I get out and my car doesn't have auto unlock so I don't see anyone getting that close anyway

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I imagine most of us, when we get in our car, may look in the back seat first, then when getting in, concentrate our focus downward, to the side, to the front.

I don't know about professionally trained people, but I would think that most of us would not have the reflexes to make a split second reaction/decision:

"A door sound." "my car." "Danger!" "door opening." "kids in the car? Y or N?" "No." "Danger increasing." "What's the best thing to do?" "Back out." Change gears. Move foot from brake to accelerator. Slam foot to the floor -- all without taking the time to look back there to see if there's a BG in your back seat. -- all the while your amygdala is firing in a blind panic.

And, hope, by the way, that there's no little old lady behind you taking her groceries to her car, or a dad with a little kid in hand.

Our brains work fast, but THAT fast? With so many unknowns? Idunno...
    More valid points.

I think these things depend to a significant degree on your state of mind.

I am the one charged with SA, SD and related subjects. Not a complaint, merely fact. Based on this, my state of mind is based on my own assessment of the threat level of any given environment. Some like the one in question, result in a state of mind, albeit brief, of somewhere near felony stop level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links