Your SA vs. spouse/family SA

This is a discussion on Your SA vs. spouse/family SA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your situational awareness is probably a bit more developed than your spouse and that of your non armed family. Here is a scenarion based on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your SA vs. spouse/family SA

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Your SA vs. spouse/family SA

Your situational awareness is probably a bit more developed than your spouse and that of your non armed family. Here is a scenarion based on that probability. You are bent over leaning into the trunk putting groceries into it. Your wife calls out to see if you are ok. You answer yes and look up, You see nothing. She has already started the car and rolled all windows down. You get into the car, and right after you get in the car, a man with a gun gets into the backseat and points his gun to your wifes head. What do you do now, All he tells you to do is drive.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Is this after he gets assaulted by my 6 yr old for being in her seat, trips on a toy, jab another toy into something painful, gets a handfull of old jelly, chocolate, juicy snacks, and gets by my wifes ninja like SA?

I can draw easily enough in the car. And I'm serious about my wife. She's way sharper than I am on this. My ride home consists of,

Wife "Did you see that creepy guy looking at us?"
    Me "What creepy guy."

Oh, and she's getting ready to get her permit too. Just waiting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have some problems with this, but for now I'll just go along.
    The car is started, so there is a 99.99% chance her foot is on the brake. As I hear the rear door open, reach over with my left hand and drop the console shifter into reverse. Even with her foot on the brake it will cause a small rearward jerk. Draw with my right hand and respond as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Is this after he gets assaulted by my 6 yr old for being in her seat, trips on a toy, jab another toy into something painful, gets a handfull of old jelly, chocolate, juicy snacks, and gets by my wifes ninja like SA?

I can draw easily enough in the car. And I'm serious about my wife. She's way sharper than I am on this. My ride home consists of,

Wife "Did you see that creepy guy looking at us?"
    Me "What creepy guy."

Oh, and she's getting ready to get her permit too. Just waiting.
    And she shoots as well with either hand.

btw, your wife is in the passenger seat, car is running to get ac running
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

No need to draw, drop it in reverse and hit the gas when I hear the door open.

Wife and I both CC and watch each others back.

We both are good at SA and work well as a team.

We use the color code system when we are out together.

BG or BGs might win but he will know he was in a fight for his or their lives.

Really, BGs need to watch out for old folks like us as we are to old to be a victim of some BGs who does not understand we are a team and a good one.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

so what would u do searcher?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And she shoots as well with either hand.
    Yes she does!

If he gets in the car, he's likely going to get shot. I can draw easily from the seated position in the drivers side too. And turning to look and drawing a gun will look like the same motion. As I get in the car, if I am CC'ing, I VA tuck the gun so I can get to it. So either I have it exposed already or I am doing it as this goes down. If possible, I would try to go hands on after I have drawn, just to try to control or deflect the BG's gun. I could care less where the car ends up at this point. If it's in gear, we will be fighting in motion.

But in reality he's not getting in the van. 2 kids in the back seats. This might throw him enough for us to do something too. There just ain't no room for BG's in the swagger wagon, I mean mini van. And my wife probably pegged this guy 30 minutes ago and has been watching him the entire time. I'm only half joking.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

im guessing the swagger wagon point was the truest part of the whole statement?

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    im guessing the swagger wagon point was the truest part of the whole statement?
    No, the part about my wife's SA is very true. I know exactly why it is that way. I've been meaning to start a post on it, and I have been looking for a book with some info that I need. Just can't find it.

The rest is pretty much accurate. No one can say exactly what they would do in a given situation. But this is the same in my mind and the BG telling everyone to get in the back room. It likely will not end well. So anything you are going to do needs to be fast, violent, and right now!

And anyone getting into our minivan besides us would just be a absolute mess. There would likely be four of us in it already. Plus all the assorted kid junk. Add a violent criminal to it and it goes south fast. Everyone screaming, some DB has his hands on my kids, yelling, cussing, scratching, clawing. I don't like the thoughts of having to shoot in the van with the entire family in it. But I like the thought of driving off at gun point less.

If you have not seen the swagger wagon commercial, you should google it.

That groceries-into-the-trunk scenario bothers me a lot. I shop alone, and that time is my worst as far as SA goes. I can't (a) pack the trunk carefully, (b) make sure the cart doesn't go rolling off, and (c) watch for bad guys all at the same time.

Once I'm done, I am much more likely to see a potential BG. But that packing time is difficult to do alone and keep the SA going. Especially in 4 months of 100 degree heat, when all you really want to do is get out of it!
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

i was going for funny chief, sorry if i missed. lol

I was just thinking, It's one thing to say you would fight if the gun were to your own head. But add the gun to the wifes head and suddenly its not your own life we gamble with. Thats the point I am going after, would you hesitate before acting because the gun were to her head and not your own?

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    That groceries-into-the-trunk scenario bothers me a lot. I shop alone, and that time is my worst as far as SA goes. I can't (a) pack the trunk carefully, (b) make sure the cart doesn't go rolling off, and (c) watch for bad guys all at the same time.

Once I'm done, I am much more likely to see a potential BG. But that packing time is difficult to do alone and keep the SA going. Especially in 4 months of 100 degree heat, when all you really want to do is get out of it!
    One or two rubber maid bins in the trunk can make packing of fragile items quicker with less attention to detail.
    The cart against the rear bumper with one front wheel kicked sideways eliminates the cart rolling and cuts down on the degrees of vulnerability and necessary observation.
    Both help provide a safer loading environment.

Brief scenario, with two twists...
    Guantes answered them both.

Next

If we ain't all about overthinking this and other scenarios the simple answer is the best...

Wait a minute......

Guantes... hit reverse when you hear the door open.... forces door open... forces BG into car... you're dirving... but even though you've floored it, initial momentum really just puts the BG where he wants to be... in the car... You're driving... he's drawing (If he wasn't drawn getting in) Now what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links