Reinforced a lesson (from a TV show)

This is a discussion on Reinforced a lesson (from a TV show) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not a critizism of the person who did this. Just a lesson to always keep in mind. I like to watch the First ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinforced a lesson (from a TV show)

Reinforced a lesson (from a TV show)

This is not a critizism of the person who did this. Just a lesson to always keep in mind. I like to watch the First 48 on A&E. They carried a story about a man who grabbed his .45 ( from inside his house) and ran accross the street to stop an armed home invasion at the neighbors. The TV did not give a lot of details but the good guy ordered the three BG's to stop. All three returned fire and struck the good guy and he was killed. Tragic to say the least. Lessons I will keep in my memory are: 1. BG's sometimes win. 2. Assess if the situation can be made better with you and a gun. 3. Having a gun does NOT make you bullet proof. 4. I will engage only if I have no other choices. ( I don't believe any shots were fired prior to the good guy engaging.) 5. We live in a dangerous world.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

6. Property (especially someone else's) isn't worth sacrificing your life?

An armed home invasion could involve more than property.

Assess what you might gain, lives saved, just property, etc, against what you might lose, your life or other losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    An armed home invasion could involve more than property.
    I might have read too much into it, but I was thinking that the OP was referring to an invasion of an otherwise empty house. If the neighbors were home and at the wrong end of a barrel, I would probably get involved. But I think it would be prudent to be tactically cautious. Barging in and saying "drop or I'll shoot" usually only works if you have kevlar and an entry team with you.

Ex Member
    7) You are NOT an LEO. Call the police, get a description, and say a prayer.

p.s. That is GREAT advice, but most of my neighbors are elderly/retired. If they were in trouble I would get involved.

Call me a wimp or a coward, if my neighbors got robbed at gunpoint, I would be a good witness from the comfort of my home. Not that I have anything against my fellow neighbor(s), I personally can't put my family at risk because of somebody else's dealings.

There are just too many unknowns for me to go barging in. Unknown number of suspects, and the amount of firepower they are (or aren't) carrying, their true plans (are they robbing a known drug house?). Too many unknowns. Sorry, I sit this one out.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A license to CC does not make you LE.
    Sad that someone trying to do good was killed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For me it would depend on weather or not there is someone home at the house being invaded/broken into. Most of my neighbors are either elderly or early-mid 20s and have young children less than 6 yrs old so those are MY defining factors.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Ya know, It's kind of human nature to try to help people you know.... A lot of guys die trying to help someone ( a buddy or co-worker) that has fallen into a corn bin, or into an IDLH (Immedieately dangerous to life or health) atmosphere... Someitmes you just gotta call the professionals, say a prayer, and hope for the best...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I saw the show,GG was shot with an AR15,ran out with no cover,BG's grabbed Big Screen TV IIRC and were leaving.Somebody made the comment the GG was like town marshall.He got some rounds off before he went down,he missed all three.Now his wife is widowed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If I was so inclined as to get in a gunfight in defense of my neighbors, and I'm not by the way so inclined, I don't think I'd be taking a handgun to a rifle fight. I'll stay behind cover and use my scope to put the bullets where they need to go.

One of my neighbors told me once, "If anything happens I'm coming to your house." I asked him why. I then further informed him that he has the same opportunity as me to be prepared for bad situations. If he chooses to not be prepared, that's on him, but don't expect me to come bail him out either.

I have no natural inclination to help anyone beyond what I choose to, and I'm usually not too inclined. I also won't ask for any help that I'm not willing to give someone else if the situation were reversed.

Biker

when your not trained... and even if you are, walking/running into the unknown is extremely dangerous. How many bag guys are there, are they armed and with what kind of weapons... Tech 9's. Again i speak of COMMON SENSE, call 911, the first rule of protecting life is... protecting your own life first.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    For me it would depend on weather or not there is someone home at the house being invaded/broken into. Most of my neighbors are either elderly or early-mid 20s and have young children less than 6 yrs old so those are MY defining factors.
    I'll assist my neighbors if someone's home.....wether it's by calling 911 and observing from a distance OR going in and dispatching the situation as I deem necessary. I do know most of my neighbors and not helping would hurt if they were home (i.e. home invasion).

I am NOT an LEO.

I would NOT 'jump into' a group of thugs hawling a TV, stero, etc. outta a empty house....... A Joe Horne I am not.
    but.......my neighbors, all mothers, fathers, and children, ARE worth helping. If they are on the wrong end of a thugs gun, I'll determin my course of action as the situation unfolds and as I see fit. What I do is determined by many factors that I can't even begin to imagine, and hope I never have to.

I haven't seen this episode yet, but my wife loves The First 48 and records it on her TiVo.

It sounds like the decesed gentleman in the First 48 episode jumped into a robbery and ended up widowing his wife. Thugs with an AK/AR rifle robbing an unoccupied house are NOT to be confronted.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member
    I saw that episode before and the whole time I was saying to myself why did he leave his house, he was not in danger... Just left me shaking my head. It is such a tragic story.

It's one of my favorite shows as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I was so inclined as to get in a gunfight in defense of my neighbors, and I'm not by the way so inclined, I don't think I'd be taking a handgun to a rifle fight. I'll stay behind cover and use my scope to put the bullets where they need to go.
    This is kinda where I'm at w/ it except I think sniping a property thief would cause more problems than it solves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links