Who needs a gun if you're just a nice guy?

This is a discussion on Who needs a gun if you're just a nice guy? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If only every robbery would turn out like this. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=89164759...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If only every robbery would turn out like this.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=89164759

VIP Member
    What else could he do, it's NYC and you don't have the right to protect yourself!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I always love reading these stories. I really do.

There was the story not too long ago about the older woman who did a similar thing. She gave the robber her money and then talked to him and prayed for him and when he finally left he actually said, "Thank you."

I really do love these stories of someone turning a horrible situation into something good. Yeah, it's not likely to happen that way but if I saw the opportunity to help instead of hurt I surely hope I'd take it.

But I'd have backup if it just wasn't possible.

lol great story..

hopefully the kid turns his life around...hopfully...

Yeah, seen that story before... And really, that was just de-escalation taken to the extreme... $20 was a cheap date... and, while I'm sure the social worker wasn't carrying... I wouldn't be averse to doing something similar... but I'd have a back up plan and I'd have been carrying all along....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

This one raises a very, very important point about street survival and it should be taken to heart by anybody wise enough to learn the lesson:

Robberies follow a script.

They are impromptu bits of theater, with clearly defined players who have assigned roles and, in most cases, pre-written dialogue. As a defender, you have a tremendous advantage in your ability to take the play "off-script" and do something out of character. If you do not behave as expected and if you do not recite your assigned lines of the script, you can rewrite the scene.

From a tactical perspective, that doesn't mean the bad guy suddenly breaks down and you both read the Bible together. Although that's a possibility. Rather, you can confuse the attacker and put him off balance. This can buy you a small window.

A related example came up in martial arts class today. The starting position is you smashed up with your face against the wall, arm wrenched up in an arm-bar behind your back. Tough spot. The escape is to fa-jin, or generate a fast convulsion, which the attacker does not expect, allowing a roll-out and reversal. The attacker expects certain things to be happening and when you break off script you can seize the advantage.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I read a story last memorial day about a guy in the military being mugged by three thugs at gunpoint. They took his wallet, keys, everything. When the leader of the thugs opened the wallet and saw the military ID card he returned everything to the victim and said "Happy Memorial Day, thanks for serving."

A patriotic thug, whoda thunk it?
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

As Shockwave stated, buying a "Small Window" or as I call it "An Edge", can make all the difference in the world.

This criminal was apparently not yet hardened, and it doesn't sound like a drug problem. Maybe this kid is reachable, but not many are these days.
    This victim was lucky IMHO, but a nice ending to what could have been another cruel crime.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This criminal was apparently not yet hardened, and it doesn't sound like a drug problem. Maybe this kid is reachable, but not many are these days.
    This victim was lucky IMHO, but a nice ending to what could have been another cruel crime.
    I couldn't agree more. This could just as easily turned out with the thug stabbing the victim because he "disrespected" him. "Take my coat too" could very easily sound like a smart ass remark to a thug.

Call me a skeptic, but: All we have is the social workers story here. I'd be interested to see security camera footage of the mugging or hear from the workers at the diner. Motive? Well, he ended up getting on NPR and probably will get some major kudos from his fellow social workers. If it IS true, then great... sort of. It makes the muggers look like they have heart of gold. Like the next subject of a "Blind Side" movie. We'll become the callous bad guys when we defend ourselves. Other than THAT, great story!

My sensei says always offer to buy the mugger a beer, LOL.

There was the story not too long ago about the older woman who did a similar thing. She gave the robber her money and then talked to him and prayed for him and when he finally left he actually said, "Thank you."

I really do love these stories of someone turning a horrible situation into something good. Yeah, it's not likely to happen that way but if I saw the opportunity to help instead of hurt I surely hope I'd take it.

I read a story years ago about a masked robber breaking into a late night party...the guests offered him cheese and a bottle of wine, he left without shooting or hurting anybody and actually cried and got some hugs.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've read just as many stories where the victim cooperated fully, tried to be nice and understanding and ended up being shot or stabbed in addition to being robbed. Armed robbery is still armed robbery. I would have been nice and understanding enough to call the paramedics after I stopped the threat, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I always love reading these stories. I really do.

Twisted ending to this story was that the guy was captured attempting to rob another place 2 days later....
    The only time you can have too much ammo is in water or in fire

I will always root for a happy ending, but I just don't think that it is realistic most of the time. There have too many situations where a victim complied and was further victimized. It wasn't too long ago that I read of an account on TheArmedCitizen.com of a woman who came home from work in the evening. Two thugs forced their way into her apartment, with screw drivers and demanded money, which she gave them. They then ordered her to undress, which she refused to do. The sound of her arguing woke her boyfriend and he came out of the bedroom and started fighting with the two thugs. She retrieved her firearm from HER PURSE and shot both suspects. I can only assume that this was the same purse where she retrieved her money!!! Meaning, she acquiesced rather then fight back initially, with the thought that no amount of money was worth her life (true, right?) and it almost got her RAPED!!!!

I have argued with people before about the concept of comply or fight back. I have talked to police about cases they have worked, or crime scenes they have arrived upon and the horror that people, yes even what would be considered "kids" do to the innocent. Gang members and thugs conduct muggings and home invasions with more motives then just getting money, but rather, proving how vicious they can be. I refuse to be a prop for some sort of twisted ego boost.

Any discussion that regards comply or fight back, I usually just say one thing...
    I am not afraid of the thug that says, "gimme your wallet". I am afraid of that thug after you have handed him your money, then he says, "now step behind the building", or "step into the back room". Because then you are probably hearing the second to last sounds of your entire life.

I am with GunGeezer. I will call 911 and get an ambulance for him. That's me being a "nice guy". I guarantee some gang banger POS wouldn't do the same for you.
    Last edited by KTCameraman; August 29th, 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: agree with GunGeezer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links