Road rage: Are some people just born upset? - Page 2

Road rage: Are some people just born upset?

This is a discussion on Road rage: Are some people just born upset? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shockwave The classic case was this one out of Birmingham, AL . Ended with one suburban housewife shooting the other in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The classic case was this one out of Birmingham, AL. Ended with one suburban housewife shooting the other in the face. The shooter got 13 years. You don't think that she got up that morning planning to gun down another motorist. Some people get weird behind the wheel. Like some freaky Jekyll and Hyde thing.
    Foster should not have pulled over on the exit ramp and gotten out of her vehicle and approached Hensen's vehicle. That was her mistake.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

What your should have done was pull over to the side of the road with several car lenghts between you ard the car that was riding your bumper and when she got out of the other and aproached your car hit the gas on your Supercharged nitro equipped V-6 Camary and jumped onto the highway. That would have be funny. Hitch < I am not responable for my comments.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    My favorite road rage incident from my cop days really backfired on the aggressor. A man inadvertantly cut off another car that was trying to speed past. When both cars got to the next red light the second driver blew the horn and shouted obscenities at the other driver who apologized. As they left the light the second driver started to tailgate, blowing his horn and making gestures. The first driver pulled into a parking lot to get away but was followed. The second driver jumped out of his car with a baseball bat and approached the first driver. Driver #2 was not very observant because he had missed the other's bumper sticker advertising a a local karate school and driver #1 was dressed to teach a class. Within a matter of seconds, driver #2 was on the pavement with a broken nose and two cracked ribs. Driver #1 called 911. When we arrived driver # 2 screamed that he wanted driver #1 arrested for assault. Guess which one went to jail after he made a side trip to the hospital?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    My favorite road rage incident from my cop days really backfired on the aggressor. A man inadvertantly cut off another car that was trying to speed past. When both cars got to the next red light the second driver blew the horn and shouted obscenities at the other driver who apologized. As they left the light the second driver started to tailgate, blowing his horn and making gestures. The first driver pulled into a parking lot to get away but was followed. The second driver jumped out of his car with a baseball bat and approached the first driver. Driver #2 was not very observant because he had missed the other's bumper sticker advertising a a local karate school and driver #1 was dressed to teach a class. Within a matter of seconds, driver #2 was on the pavement with a broken nose and two cracked ribs. Driver #1 called 911. When we arrived driver # 2 screamed that he wanted driver #1 arrested for assault. Guess which one went to jail after he made a side trip to the hospital?
    Hmmm, Sounds to me like driver 1 the karate instructor committed assault with a deadly weapon. It is easy to cheer him, but
    walking back to the aggressor bat in hand was foolish. Also, what if driver 2 was armed with a firearm? Even karate instructors are not bullet proof-- though some think they are.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hmmm, Sounds to me like driver 1 the karate instructor committed assault with a deadly weapon. It is easy to cheer him, but
    walking back to the aggressor bat in hand was foolish. Also, what if driver 2 was armed with a firearm? Even karate instructors are not bullet proof-- though some think they are.
    Driver #2 had the bat approaching the karate instructor. Sounds to me like the instructor disarmed #2 and showed him some of the finer points of H2H combat.

Like some freaky Jekyll and Hyde thing.
    Disney recognized this in the 50's.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    The classic case was this one out of Birmingham, AL. ....
    Foster gets out of her car, shoots the other driver and claims SHE was in fear for her life! Wow, just wow.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Driver 2 had the bat and approached Driver 1, the karate instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You have just witnessed the end result of sparing the rod and spoiling the child.
    It certainly didn't help. Multi-income households, reduction of adult supervision (latch-key kids), severe over-crowding of jails/prisons causing a turnstile approach to "rehabilitation" ... none of it works to get us where society needs to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I had a guy start yelling something the other day at a red light. I had my window down, as did he. I looked up at him, smiled and rolled the window up. I think putting the window up angered him more, but I didn't want to hear him ranting about whatever it I was supposedly doing that he didn't like. Luckily the light turned green and he went a different direction. Sadly a lot of people think they own the road and you are simply trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    What your should have done was pull over to the side of the road with several car lenghts between you ard the car that was riding your bumper and when she got out of the other and aproached your car hit the gas on your Supercharged nitro equipped V-6 Camary and jumped onto the highway. That would have be funny. Hitch < I am not responable for my comments.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Driver #2 had the bat approaching the karate instructor. Sounds to me like the instructor disarmed #2 and showed him some of the finer points of H2H combat.
    Clearly my mistake. Thanks.

Disney recognized this in the 50's.
    OMG - gruntingfrog - I'm still laughing! Thank you for that.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Had an incident yesterday, I was in the inside lane of a double left turn and when the light turned green I made my turn. After completing the turn I hear a blaring horn to my right and the driver next to me is gesturing and obviously screaming something and swerves toward me.... I don’t know what set her off but it seems some people just look for anything to cause an altercation.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I see behavior like this all the time at a similar intersection. People are clueless and don't realize that they need to stay in their lane around the turn and then get made when you "cut them off" even though you were the one making the legal turn.
    Having made turn should resolve any confusion about how the lanes work. How could anyone be "cut off" by a driver turning left in the far-left-turn lane? Understanding lane design and traffic flow is the least of the raging driver's problems that include tunnel vision and sociopathology.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Road rage is something everyone experiences one way or another. After sixteen years of professional driving, these are my Rules on the Road:

Rule 1: Drive safely. Pay attention to what you are doing. Obey traffic laws. Make sure YOU are not the one causing the problem.
    Rule 2: Be courteous. Allow other traffic to merge. Let faster moving traffic pass. Be a gentleman(woman).
    Rule 3: Stay calm. You choose how you react to any situation. Anger, fear and frustration clouds judgement and leads to bad outcomes.

Personally, I usually just try to let them go on about their business and hope they don't kill some one. I have only had three occasions when I felt it necessary to call 911 for road rage.

Glad it turned out OK.
    I often feel that I'm taking a risk by making eye contact unless it's a case of acknowledging the right-of-way of the pedestrian or other driver. It's safer to drive - and live - defensively; and I don't want to know (not looking for a face) who's the worst driver on the road. I look to my below signature.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Having made turn should resolve any confusion about how the lanes work. How could anyone be "cut off" by a driver turning left in the far-left-turn lane? Understanding lane design and traffic flow is the least of the raging driver's problems that include tunnel vision and sociopathology.
    If you have two lanes turning left and I'm on the inside, I've had people blow their horn at me because when they started to turn left they didn't honor the lane markers (if there were any) and just start coming into my lane. There is an intersection where it happens almost daily when I'm at it. Not that people blow the horn at me, but sometimes they'll be in the outside lane and get off the line ahead of me and just cut into my lane and think nothing of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links