Road rage: Are some people just born upset?

This is a discussion on Road rage: Are some people just born upset? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe not "born upset". But there probably are more folks driving stressed... Losing a job, in foreclosure, over extended, whatever... That, coupled with being in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road rage: Are some people just born upset?

Maybe not "born upset". But there probably are more folks driving stressed... Losing a job, in foreclosure, over extended, whatever... That, coupled with being in a hurry to get somewhere, anywhere out of this "rat race," might mean that many on our roads are not as considerate as they could be. They are driving offensively, rather than defensively...

I mean, have you noticed how many people no longer yield when they are merging onto a hiway or interstate? They expect those in the right lane to move over... and they can't see (or don't care about) the semi that's passing you on the left... You better move, 'cause they are comin' on... and if you can't it's YOUR fault!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I think some people are born upset. At the very least they seem to get that way as soon as they get behind the wheel. I believe they feel invincible surrounded by the car, much the same way that some people act when on line. Mouthing off and being rude jerks when they are able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet. They feel that no one can figure out who they are when they are driving.

Defensive driving is the best thing any new driver can really learn.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thumbs up

Defensive driving is the best thing any new driver can really learn.
    ... and it's the best thing a driver can remember each day, from the moment the keys are touched.

When I learned to drive, in a sense that was the ONLY thing we learned: to think defensively, and to apply that thinking at all times.

Every lesson was centered on the defensive alternative, thinking how to do it in a defensive fashion, imagining what defensive moves would be required if it turned out that the fates had something else planned for me that day. At the time, Mr. What-If and his second in command were the terrors of our driving days. But that thinking has kept my car out of the repair shop and my butt out of court.

Really, it's just the extension of our everyday, normal situational awareness skills to the roadway. Nothing more.

Anytime, anywhere. On the roadway, it's at least as likely as anywhere else. Think about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The latest 'concept' is that Defensive Driving puts you behind the curve. My employer requires any of us who drive a fleet vehicle to have a day of hands-on driver training with a national 'performance driving' company every other year. Last time I went, they are teaching "Offensive Driving" - I know, it sounds funny. Basically, like the saying goes "the best defense is a good offense". Instead of reacting to what other drivers are doing (being defensive), they teach ways to take charge of various driving scenarios to dictate the outcome before you reach the point where you are forced to react. Be on the offense rather than the defense.

I think this crowd can appreciate better than most the advantages of proactive vs. reactive. Defensive driving has you anticipate what another driver might do and be prepared to act accordingly. Offensive driving has you understand the various possibilities for what the other guy is most likely going to do and act accordingly before he does so.

Over-simplified example... you're on the highway, 3 lanes in your direction and you're in the middle lane approaching an on-ramp. You see three vehicles on the on-ramp the lead vehicle is a truck and the two cars behind him are following him closely. Defensive driving would have you consider and be prepared that car 2 and 3 may not only merge onto the highway but also possibly accelerate immediately into the middle lane to pass the slower truck - usually without regard to vehicles already on the highway. Offensive driving would have you not only anticipate that but also act pre-emptively by adjusting your speed in anticipation of them doing so - AND possibly (if safe to change lanes) move to the left lane, freeing up the middle lane, still adjusting your speed in anticipation that car 3 may also impatiently pull directly into the leftmost lane to try and go around car 2 (I've seen this more times than I can believe).

Most likely you are already driving offensively, just calling it defensive - but there is a difference.

GM
    Some people are like that
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Had an incident yesterday, I was in the inside lane of a double left turn and when the light turned green I made my turn. After completing the turn I hear a blaring horn to my right and the driver next to me is gesturing and obviously screaming something and swerves toward me. Then she jams on the brakes and slides behind me and rides my bumper. Fortunately there was an intersection ahead and I did a quick lane change and made a left turn and continued to my destination one street over. I donít know what set her off but it seems some people just look for anything to cause an altercation.
    If you carry you have to always take the higher road and ignore people like that. The ironic thing is the people who act like that and are out of control do not realize that the real danger is the calm headed observant other party who can calculate with violence how to mess you up for your road rage or worse. IE : the young dumb testosterone filled twenty something dude ragin while the armed vietnam vet ponders his course of action with his 1911 and comfort with experiences in extreme violence. People need to think.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Most likely you are already driving offensively, just calling it defensive - but there is a difference.
    A very thought-provoking comment. I'm unsure whether "offensive driving" is a term that conveys the spirit of what you're talking about, but the idea is a sound one. When I think of defensive driving, I think of the opposite of what has been described as "hyper-aggressive driving," the style where the driver relentlessly presses forward, weaving, running lights, tailgating, using the right or left turn lane as a holding spot to surge ahead and take first-position for the green light, etc., which would be termed "normal driving in New York City."

Defensive driving does not mean always slowing down or being timid and hesitant in traffic, rather it means to be always seeking to position one's vehicle in the most-safe location at any time. It is mandatory to always be scanning traffic to anticipate choke points, squeeze plays, and spots that have no options for alternate maneuvers.

For example, I don't like being next to a big rig semi or any kind of large truck or bus that has a long blind spot. So if I need to overtake one, whether from the right or left I'll do so as quickly as possible, regardless of the posted speed limit. To me, that's defensive, even if it means that for a moment I'm doing 90mph.

As a shorthand description, I'd describe "defensive driving" as meaning "being ready for any other driver at any time to pull some crazy, random, idiotic stunt."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

If you've ridden a motorcycle for any length of time, you learn to be observant and react to developing situations. You may even be somewhat aggressive appearing in your maneuvers. It's not really offensive driving, it's maybe better stated as "preemptive driving" or "proactive driving."

Situational awareness
    Avoidance
    De escalation

Now, where have I heard those concepts before???? HMMM?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    The latest 'concept' is that Defensive Driving puts you behind the curve.
    Only where a person's bad assumption results in non-committal, reactive driving. Then, it absolutely does put a person behind the curve.

Basically, like the saying goes "the best defense is a good offense".
    Exactly, in the sense that it's far better to be taking a proactive, circumspect and non-reactionary approach to all situations at all times. The way my instructors taught me, the road is basically one big pool of opportunity for every other driver to do anything they want at any time, without notifying anyone in advance. The ONLY way to survive over a lifetime of driving in such an ugly environment is to take charge, being proactive, seeing things before they begin to happen, imagining what someone is capable of doing if only, and so on. It's not that hard. It just needs to be done at all times, in all situations, for every other driver who is out there. By thinking ahead, you can have an out, have an exit, have a way to mitigate some foolish maneuver that gets foisted on you without warning. That's pretty much it. And that by no means requires a person drive in an offensive manner, putting anyone else at risk, bumming anyone else, charging into situations or causing situations.

Ditto on the "preemptive" or "proactive" terminology. It's not offensive, and offense need not be taken. It's thinking ahead, planning for exits, and driving to manage situations in a way that good outcomes are more likely when bad things happen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links