This one is weird--- related to hospital carry

This is a discussion on This one is weird--- related to hospital carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, I never thought I would advocate for hospital carry, but this little story sort of puts another spin on things: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry&id=11487637 "After he allegedly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

Wow, I never thought I would advocate for hospital carry, but this little story sort of puts another spin on things:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry&id=11487637

"After he allegedly escaped unnecessary chest surgery, a Maryland man says he was detained, beaten, and repeatedly called a "*****" by security at Prince George's Hospital in Cheverly, Md., as he attempted to seek medical care elsewhere."

Basically, this guy was in an auto accident. They put the wrong ID bracelet on him, one belonging to a woman 13 years younger, told him they were prepping him for chest surgery to remove a tumor.

He tried to leave. Was viciously attacked by two security guards who beat him so badly while they tried to retrieve the wrong ID bracelet he needed additional care at a different hospital.

A twelve million dollar suit is pending.

Like folks say, anytime, anywhere.

If you read some of the comments in response to the story it is apparently not all that unusual for there to be a "hospital of little horrors" experience.

All I can say is wow!!! Double and triple wow@@.

Bring your meds, bring your OC, and hide a sharpened screw driver under your gown. An LCP would do nicely where allowed.

holy cow
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

...he was diagnosed with four broken ribs, a sprained shoulder, a ruptured spleen, and a concussion...
    If the allegations are true, I hope they get every last penny of that $12million.
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Lol...it's PG. What did you expect? Everyone from the city council to the police are or have been up on corruption charges at some point...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Wheeler claims the men shouted profanities at him, put on black padded gloves and proceeded to shove him against the wall, then taking him into an elevator where they beat him while he lay on the floor in a fetal position.
    Within the story the reporter writes,
    "Wheeler's allegations raises an important question for patients: when can a hospital detain a patient against his or her will?"
    ANSWER: You may leave, ANYTIME FOR ANY REASON unless there is a court order to the contrary; or clear incompetence posing an immediate emergency. I mention this because too many folks think their docs can control the scene, "doctor's orders." Keep in mind who the customer is. Keep in mind who is providing a service for a fee. If you won't take it from your plumber you shouldn't take it from your doc, or your hospital admin.
    Last edited by Hopyard; August 30th, 2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: to clear up a poorly worded statement

Hopyard... are you saying the hospital CAN detain you anytime for any reason? I don't think so...

But, back to the OP, the victim will have trouble proving his injuries were not part of the original accident... Well, except for those boot prints...

I hope, if it happened, they get the whole $12MM1
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Geez, what happened to the ability to sign out AMA (against medical advice)??? No one should be detained against their will and have surgery done without consent.

Maybe I should have my last name tattooed on my abdomen or something. That hospital (and guards), if the story is true, deserves to pay through the nose for that one. NO ONE should have that happen.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    Sounds like Mr. Wheeler, and his lawyer, just hit the mega millions lottery.

Unless involuntarily committed to a hospital, they cannot force you to remain. Sign a release form and walk.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That's PG County alright. Packinnova beat me to it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Hopyard... are you saying the hospital CAN detain you anytime for any reason? I don't think so...

But, back to the OP, the victim will have trouble proving his injuries were not part of the original accident... Well, except for those boot prints...

I hope, if it happened, they get the whole $12MM1
    Oh, my, did my fast typing ever mess up what I was trying to say. I meant assault and crime can happen ANYTIME AND ANYWHERE, and that a patient of course is perfectly free to fire their doc, fire the hospital, get up and leave at anytime and for any reason.

Wow, I better scoot up a post and edit that boo boo. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Yikes, can't believe I wrote it that way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sounds like Mr. Wheeler, and his lawyer, just hit the mega millions lottery.

Unless involuntarily committed to a hospital, they cannot force you to remain. Sign a release form and walk.
    In a problematic situation as this was before the beating, just walk-- as the plaintiff did. Don't sign anything. You never know what they'll hide in the form that you won't pick up on because you just want to get out of there. Just say, "I'm leaving." "Goodbye."

They want papers, they can mail them to you later.

Bingo!
    We have a 'big bucks' winner here. Someone call the accountants...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I might leave, but I would do my best to see that the guards remained............as patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    If the allegations are true, I hope they get every last penny of that $12million.
    After lawyers fees...He might get a penny of that 12 mill...
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Maybe we could get a DC hospital intervention and rescue team together,(Team Enema) we make stuff move
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links