Which gun?

This is a discussion on Which gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the discussions about which gun in what caliber, I ask a very "broad strokes" question. Does what you carry affect what you would ...

Thread: Which gun?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Which gun?

With all the discussions about which gun in what caliber, I ask a very "broad strokes" question. Does what you carry affect what you would do in a given situation?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    With all the discussions about which gun in what caliber, I ask a very "broad strokes" question. Does what you carry affect what you would do in a given situation?
    Are you asking if it affects my reaction in a SD situation?

If so; NO. If I didn't trust a firearm, weather due to caliber, ammo, the specific type of firearm, etc,...I wouldn't own it. If I bought one, and it proved unreliable, I'd sell it. If it wasn't sold yet, I definitely wouldn't be carrying it![/FONT]

VIP Member
    Nope. My gun is a last resort, my reaction is going to be the same regardless of what I'm carrying.
    1. Avoid the situation.
    2. De-escalate the situation.
    3. If forced to defend myself, be as ruthless needed to end it quickly.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No difference in the initial presentation. Depending on which gun I'm carrying, I might have to reload sooner with one than the other... Otheriwse, If it has escalated to the point of presentaion, I will probalby shoot to stop the threat... Only reason I say probably is because there is hope for the BG, if the threat leaves or otherwise stops, I won't shoot.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

No, training, finances, weight, caliber + any non-lethal methods should all be decided before ever going CCW/CHL.....after that, it's too late to worry.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Nope. My gun is a last resort, my reaction is going to be the same regardless of what I'm carrying.
    1. Avoid the situation.
    2. De-escalate the situation.
    3. If forced to defend myself, be as ruthless needed to end it quickly.
    Archer has the best case scenario and is correct in his handling of just about any situation. I think most of us would do the same, using a weapon is and should be a method of last resort.
    As it goes, your brain is the ultimate weapon, your firearm is a weapon of last resort.

When faced with a self-defense scenario you will deal with the situation using what you have at hand. When you must defend yourself (or your family) you will do what you must, when you must. Never surrender, never stop, never think about defeat. Your handgun, your feet, your hands, sticks lying on the ground, your keyring, etc. are just tools; you must be the weapon.

Avoid any confrontation that can be avoided. Walk away if you can. Run away if you must. When forced to defend yourself set everything else aside and do the necessary to survive.

Then shut up, lawyer up, and let the nice pit bull with a good suit do all of your talking for you. The only statement to be made goes something like this: "I was in fear for my life and forced to defend myself. I need to speak to my attorney now".
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Yes, only in the sense I would not use my EDC as a weapon of choice in a wilderness?dangerous animal scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Does what you carry affect what you would do in a given situation?
    No....why should it? I carry several. Doesn't matter what caliber....what platform...what firearm. If I'm carrying it, it's for any possible situation. If a "situation" occurs, I'll attack it in the same way no matter what I'm carrying at the time. 9mm-45acp. Keep shooting until the "situation" no longer exists.

OK, I'll bite on the side of yes. Occasionally, for several different reasons, I carry a Kel tec P3at. If anyone here can do with it what you can do with a full size then more power to you. If we are at bad breath distance, then I just have to reload sooner. But if a situation arose where there was some distance involved it would effect how I used the P3at. The sites are not very good, short site length, low mag capacity. For me it's a niche gun. It fits a few needs very well. But given my preference I would carry the G19. But I just can't for a few situations.

The most often scenario from here that it would affect would be some type of hostage scenario. What I could likely do with the G19 is a no go with the P3at. It's just that simple. And that is also the main reason it's a niche gun for me. What it does for me, it does well. But what it lacks makes it less desirable for EDC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Chief,
    I see your point. But, in a "hostage situation," there's no way I'd be carrying a scoped AR 15, anyway. I know that's an extreme... But, for the most part, we're talking SD scenarios here...

If TEOTWAWKI were to happen in the immediate future, say 5 minutes, I would be ill prepared with my carry gun, probably even if it was a AR. We can't possibly defend against all possible occurences.

With omnipotent foresight, the anti's would be right, we wouldn't need guns... We'd know in advance that today was a bad day to go out, and stay home. Or at least, that we were going to be attacked by 4 bad guys, and a 6 round mag won't be enough, better carry a spare or a gun with a 12 round mag.

I do not base my carry choice on what's the worst that could happen to me... Else I'd drive a tank wherever I went, wear body armor, and have a squad of backup with me at all times.

It's kind of like the questions "Is 2 enough?", "Is 3 overkill?" Where does it end?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Links