It Happened in Sleepy West Virginia

This is a discussion on It Happened in Sleepy West Virginia within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You never know where something might go wrong. In July, my wife and I were visiting her parents in West Virginia. My Texas permit is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Happened in Sleepy West Virginia

It Happened in Sleepy West Virginia

You never know where something might go wrong.

In July, my wife and I were visiting her parents in West Virginia. My Texas permit is not recognized in WV but I still usually carry at the home of my wife’s family. When we got there, we heard about a drug bust that took place on the road right in front on their house while they were on vacation the previous week. Apparently, Oxycontin and crystal-meth are big problems in this formerly sleepy area of the Appalachian mountains. Their house is in a rural area, but this does not mean that they are immune to the world’s problems.

This fact was driven home with me later in the week as we were having a back-yard cookout. My brother-in-law came out to where I was sitting in the back yard and asked if I were carrying. I said “yes,” but also asked why he was asking. He explained that there were three state trooper vehicles parked in the parking lot of the restaurant about a quarter of a mile up the road. While they might have just been there for the food, given the fact that there was a drug bust less than a week ago right in front of the house, he just wanted to make sure that I was ready in case something bad went down. I went into the house to get an extra magazine, just in case, and to see for myself what was going on down the road.

By that time, the troopers had left the parking lot of the restaurant and were parked in the driveway of a vacant house across from the restaurant. This told me that they were probably not in the area for the food. My wife’s uncle, a competitive shooter and firearms instructor, also came by and told us that the unmarked van transporting the SWAT team was parked behind a neighbor’s house, just as it had been before the bust the previous week. While we were discussing whether to take our cook-out inside, my wife came out of the house telling us that the state police had just called and were asking us to go inside the house.

We quickly gathered up all the food and headed into the house. In a matter of minutes the state troopers passed in front of the house and stopped about an eighth of a mile down the road, blocking all traffic on the road. We never did see the arrest actually take place, but after half an hour the traffic finally started moving again and we saw a vehicle being towed away as evidence on the back of a roll-back wrecker.

Needless to say, this whole incident has reinforced in my mind that you never know when something might happen. While no one was hurt in this incident, it could have turned out very differently. This incident also has removed any doubt as to whether remaining armed while at “home” is being too paranoid. If this can happen in sleepy West Virginia, it can happen anywhere.

2. Remove Ads

We quickly gathered up all the food and headed into the house.
    I would have left the food

WOW, that must've been some good foood at that cookout. Glad all was OK.

Anytime and anywhere. Noplace is immune anymore.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I would have left the food
    You OBVIOUSLY have never had WV cook out food. AC130 air support would have been justified in saving the food. Who do ya think taught all them Texans how to cook?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You OBVIOUSLY have never had WV cook out food. AC130 air support would have been justified in saving the food. Who do ya think taught all them Texans how to cook?
    +1. Don't be messin' with my food and there will be no trouble.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

We assumed that since we received a warning call, that whatever was going down was not going down immediately. So, we decided that if we each carried something in each hand, then we only needed to make the one trip, a trip we would have been making anyway.

Besides, I was hungry.

I wonder how they go about getting individual phone numbers of the residences?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

It's called reverse 911. Depending on the way they did it they can identify an area on the computer screen and push a button and it will mass notify all numbers in the area. they may have not done it that way but bet so.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Dying wouldn't have been

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    It's called reverse 911. Depending on the way they did it they can identify an area on the computer screen and push a button and it will mass notify all numbers in the area. they may have not done it that way but bet so.
    I don't think so because that would have notified whoever they were about to bust no?

Did I mention that this was a small town in West Virginia. In fact, one of the troopers and his family lives further up the same road. They know my wife's parents and just called from down the road before they set up the roadblock.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    they can block certain houses from being notified Treo, besides that, who is the state police to call and interrupt my life to make a bust down the street, I would have stayed outside and just kept an eye on things,
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Having grown up with extended family in WV and been to many WV cook-outs over the years, I have to agree. That's why the state troopers called them...to save the food. I hope you wrapped up some plates for them with plenty of biscuits, gravy, and home grown tow-maters as they left.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

"leave the dog! take the food!"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    It's called reverse 911.
    Would that be 119?
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links