No Wonder the Guy Spent Some Time in Jail...

This is a discussion on No Wonder the Guy Spent Some Time in Jail... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Varied opinions are a fact of life among people....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder the Guy Spent Some Time in Jail...

Varied opinions are a fact of life among people.

2. Remove Ads

I would bet BG want be missed in that town. I would not have chased after him.

I'm glad the GG got out and hopefully that's the end of it... I'm glad the BG got shot, and that IS the end of it!
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I wouldn't have chased after the man, however being hit in the head with a wrench is no laughing matter....crack a skull with that. I would have been justified in using deadly force as he was trying to hit me the first time...but...chasing after him is being a willing participant...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I don't see why that anyone in there right mind would risk there life to chase after a bg to get there beer back. It is just plain stupid IMO.
    It could have been a REALLY good beer
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Ain't no beer worth dieing over. When the guy hit him over the head the "first time" if he didn't shoot him at that point, then he should have let it go, called the cops and reported it and let them deal with it. Taking the law into your own hands by chasing the BG down is dangerous and he is luck he didn't do serious time for manslaughter.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only issue I have is the fact he went to his car to retrieve a firearm. At that point he became an aggressor, just like the guy who assaulted him. Both created and esculated this incident. I can easily see where both could have been charged. But state law is state law, and each deals with these cases as their laws provide. This is one lucky individual to be walking free.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think what it all comes down to that the story didn't say was the brand of beer. There are a couple brands that I'd chase the BG for , but seeing as how it was at a circle K i doubt it would have been anything worth killing or potentially dying for.
    Last edited by quincy07; September 3rd, 2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I don't see why that anyone in there right mind would risk there life to chase after a bg to get there beer back. It is just plain stupid IMO.
    I don't think it is about being stupid or smart, its about right and wrong. We can say that nothing is worth dying for (except for family, country, etc), but where does that leave us. It means that whenever anyone threatens someone and steals what they have, we just let them go - cause "Its not worth dying for".
    Like I've said before, I wouldn't do - It potentially puts my family at risk (losing a father/husband), but I won't criticize those that do.
    Robery and assault should be risky activities, and I'm glad there are those that make them such for the BG.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    It could have been a REALLY good beer
    Maybe it was really hot, after all its Arizona, and maybe that was the last six pack of beer in the store, and maybe the only other party store for a mile was closed because the bad guy had already robbed last week. See now it make perfect sense!

A persons past convictions do not hold up as evidence in court. The fact that he has done it before or even is on the run from killing someone will not help your case! A self defense case will involve the actual shooting itself, not the BGs past. You did not know his past when you shot him, so your actions will be judged on the event itself. (Massad ayoob did a great article on this...i'll see if i can track it down). Any attempt at bringing past events up will be objected and sustained. (The BGs not on trial now, YOU are!)

Glad the bg lost as next time he could have killed, but dumb move on the shooters part and he is really lucky to have gotten away from criminal charges. Good luck with the civil ones.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    In a defensive scenario, how is it justified to go back to your car, get a gun, then chase the robber to the back of the store and wait for him to swing a wrench at you so you can shoot him?
    At the end of the day, the robber was a robber, and he chose to attempt to "brain" the man with a wrench. Had the man simply grabbed means to defend himself then cornered the robber for police, there would be no hue and cry about the man's actions. And yet, when the robber attempts to take his life with a wrench to the head, the man's refusal to be "brained" is jumped on?

I'd need to better understand the specifics before judging. I can tell you that I have no problem with going to get a defensive weapon that was left behind (ie, in the car). I don't think much about the wisdom of heading back toward a robber, but then the robber IS the bad guy after all, and he's currently engaging in a felony act of violence against innocents. The laws in my state are pretty darned clear about one's authority in such a situation. And in the end if the robber then chooses to attempt to harm me or mine, I have no problem stopping such attempts with the degree of force needed. Particularly with children, though, I highly doubt I would have turned back into the store in question. Such a scenario is potentially tricky, and depends heavily on the circumstances and timing, and on the biases/prejudices of the folks in the jurisdiction where this occurs. I can see it going either way, depending.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The only good part to this story is the 'repeat offender' who became a 'dead offender'.(courtesy of Uncle Ted)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have gone back in... get away from the threat and stay away...

As for the story the guy going back..... The LAW is the LAW if it says he has no duty to retreat and is protected by the Castle Doctrine in what he did.. so be it... +1 for the good guys....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Whether a good idea or not, it appears to me that many do not discern the difference between reengagement in a mutual combat situation and the attempted detainment of a violent felon who has just committed two violent felonies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links