No Wonder the Guy Spent Some Time in Jail...

This is a discussion on No Wonder the Guy Spent Some Time in Jail... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...fied-abrk.html Okay, at the end of the day the Gilbert police recommended no charges be filed and determined that the shooting was justified. In AZ ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder the Guy Spent Some Time in Jail...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...fied-abrk.html

Okay, at the end of the day the Gilbert police recommended no charges be filed and determined that the shooting was justified. In AZ Castle Doctrine is firmly established, and a SD shooting is considered justified unless proven otherwise. (the Harold Fish Law)

At first I was frustrated that this man had to spend a couple of days in jail while they figured out that this shooting was justified. Then I read the whole story and my opinion changed. In a defensive scenario, how is it justified to go back to your car, get a gun, then chase the robber to the back of the store and wait for him to swing a wrench at you so you can shoot him?

I'd love your input on this one; IMO the prudent thing to do would have been to retreat to the car and call 911, then keep an eye on the robber until the cops show up. If the robber came my way again, okay fine then maybe we have a SD scenario.

Thoughts?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I agree, I would never chase after the man if the threat against me and loved ones is over. He is extremely lucky to not be facing charges. I drive by that circle K frequently, and the robber wouldn't have had many places to hide had the shooter called police instead of taking matters into his own hands.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    IMO he should be guilty the threat was no longer there. He got his gun and chased the bg down struggled with him before he shot him. I don't condone what the bg did, but to chase him down and kill him over beer? Maybe I am missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    IMO he should be guilty the threat was no longer there. He got his gun and chased the bg down struggled with him before he shot him. I don't condone what the bg did, but to chase him down and kill him over beer? Maybe I am missing something here?
    +1

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

If someone steals anything from you, you should be able to go get it back. That’s what this guy did. Robbing and hitting people with a wrench should be a hazardous occupation, and in this case it was.
    Is beer worth dying for? No, but once you get the ball rolling by assaulting someone, then all bets are off. I don’t have a problem with the man going back to the scene. He didn’t start it.
    Please note: I would have called authorities and left the scene. There is too much to lose in a situation like this. I do support this guy’s actions and that he is free from charges. However I do not recommend these actions – too much potential for it to go south.

I like the message – Come to Arizona and commit robbery and assault (or battery) and you may not see the sun rise tomorrow.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

GM
    SD shooting?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

He armed himself (legal and sensible, for his own protection) and followed a dangerous felon in order to be a good witness. He was then attacked, and fearing for his life, defended himself. Mr. Bad Guy had ample opportunities to quit his evil ways, but made just one too many bad choices.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    He armed himself (legal and sensible, for his own protection) and followed a dangerous felon in order to be a good witness. He was then attacked, and fearing for his life, defended himself. Mr. Bad Guy had ample opportunities to quit his evil ways, but made just one too many bad choices.
    Carefully phrased like that.... might work... Me.. Call 911 ain't no beer worth my life, or the time in the clink, and an ambiguous outome..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Carefully phrased like that.... might work... Me.. Call 911 ain't no beer worth my life, or the time in the clink, and an ambiguous outome..
    Agree, phrased like that it sounds better, but still the threat has left I am not running after him.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

the actions of the shooter, Stefen Selvy, appear to be legally justified.
    The legality is all that matters on paper. But i agree with all of you on here saying that chasing a threat is a bad idea.
    followed a dangerous felon in order to be a good witness
    let me comment on this with another quote from the article
    Selvy returned to his vehicle, retrieved a pistol and chased Baughman behind the store, police said. Selvy eventually caught up with Baughman, who again hit Selvy with the wrench
    I would find it difficult to believe someone claiming 'i was trying to be a good witness' when he chased the suspect down and got within contact range to be hit again
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Guy committed an aggravated robbery,even if it was only beer,what if it was your wifes wedding ring,you try to stop the theft and retrieve your property and guy decides to swing the wrench bang bang.I will bet the dead guy has numerous arrests involving alcohol and or drugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    If someone steals anything from you, you should be able to go get it back. That’s what this guy did. Robbing and hitting people with a wrench should be a hazardous occupation, and in this case it was.
    Is beer worth dying for? No, but once you get the ball rolling by assaulting someone, then all bets are off. I don’t have a problem with the man going back to the scene. He didn’t start it.
    Please note: I would have called authorities and left the scene. There is too much to lose in a situation like this. I do support this guy’s actions and that he is free from charges. However I do not recommend these actions – too much potential for it to go south.

I like the message – Come to Arizona and commit robbery and assault (or battery) and you may not see the sun rise tomorrow.
    I don't see why that anyone in there right mind would risk there life to chase after a bg to get there beer back. It is just plain stupid IMO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Guy committed an aggravated robbery,even if it was only beer,what if it was your wifes wedding ring,you try to stop the theft and retrieve your property and guy decides to swing the wrench bang bang.I will bet the dead guy has numerous arrests involving alcohol and or drugs

YEP^^^^^Bingo

[QUOTE=Hall;1751013]The legality is all that matters on paper. But i agree with all of you on here saying that chasing a threat is a bad idea.

Yes^^^^^^^^^^^Indeed.
    What WE would all do or not do is subjective at best, and highly irrelavant.
    But what we SHOULD be able to do if we choose to, should be our call.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^Can I retain you for any future legal matters concerning SD?^^^^^^^^Should they arrise

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^+1

Here's to alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -Homer Simpson
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Maybe he was not chasing for the beer, but chasing after someone who committed an ADW on him and might have killed him.

Well IMO that is why you call the police, for them to find and nab the bg. He could have gotten himself killed. The threat was retreating, I myself would not run down the bg for another confrontation. I value my life more than that. I think it was a very bad decision on his part. He is lucky he is not going to have to spend a few years in prison for his actions. I don't uphold the bg. He shouldn't get away with what he had done but its a life. One that deserved prison time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links