Guns in Safes

This is a discussion on Guns in Safes within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading the website and I noticed someone had posted a scenario about a BG demanding him opening his safe and another guy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns in Safes

Guns in Safes

I was just reading the website and I noticed someone had posted a scenario about a BG demanding him opening his safe and another guy telling him to at least have one gun loaded in the safe.

I have a total of 8 pistols and 5 longuns in my house and every one of the pistols in my safe is loaded and 3 of the longuns (double barrell and 10/22 is not) are loaded. I like to be prepared in case something happens.

Is this odd or do you do the same thing?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I keep a loaded gun close by at all times. The BG isn't even going to get inside if I can help it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I keep a loaded gun close by at all times. The BG isn't even going to get inside if I can help it.

^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

VIP Member
    The guns in my carry rotation are loaded with a full mag and one in the pipe or a full cylinder in the case of my 1 carry revolver. Safe queens and long guns are not loaded. All are secured in my safe except the one I am carrying at the time.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Everything in the small quick access safe (4 to 5 pistols) are kept loaded and ready for daily carry.

Everything in the big safe, all long guns and the rest of the pistols are kept unloaded.

The gun on my side is kept loaded all the time, so the likelyhood that the BG is going to make me go to the safe and open it up so he can relieve me of my other weapons is pretty slim. Well not without some sort of fight that is.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Just FYI........

The vast majority of "really bad" Bad Guys are hip to that program and they will force you to unlock the safe but, they will never allow you to physically open the door.

My safe weapons are loaded. It also has a directional booby trap. It'll mess up a few guns, but nobody will be walking away with them.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Amen.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    My safe weapons are loaded. It also has a directional booby trap. It'll mess up a few guns, but nobody will be walking away with them.
    Dude, where in Ohio do you live that's so bad, it requires you to booby trap your own safe?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm kinda interested in the booby trap itself. Are we talking a dye pack or a shotgun blast. Sounds like something out of saw. Make sure your family knows about it.(in the event you die and they need to get into the safe via key/combo/locksmith)
    Last edited by Macattack; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: couldnt spell booby
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

The guns that are on me or for rapid deployment are loaded. The other guns that I have, I don't have, no safe involved.

Actually I live in a very nice area. I'm just a little cautious.

Senior Moderator
    If you've made it to my safes, I am dead and it dont matter.The perp will have to figure it out.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I was just reading the website and I noticed someone had posted a scenario about a BG demanding him opening his safe and another guy telling him to at least have one gun loaded in the safe.
    I have a total of 8 pistols and 5 longuns in my house and every one of the pistols in my safe is loaded and 3 of the longuns (double barrell and 10/22 is not) are loaded. I like to be prepared in case something happens.

Is this odd or do you do the same thing?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If I'm reading this correctly, I'm thinking that what they meant is, that if you have a safe in the house with money , jewelry and other assorted valuables, to keep a loaded handgun in there, not have the firearms in your GUN SAFE loaded.
    If I'm reading correctly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just FYI........

The vast majority of "really bad" Bad Guys are hip to that program and they will force you to unlock the safe but, they will never allow you to physically open the door.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^I believe that is what QK is alluding to in his post.JMHO^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    There is one LTL (Less Than Lethal) Booby Trap Device available for gun safes. At least there was years ago.

OK here goes...This page is dated 2004 & there is no copyright on this report.

Brief Report:

Exposure to Tear Gas from a Theft-Deterrent Device on a Safe --- Wisconsin, December 2003

On December 4, 2003, a hazardous materials (HazMat) release occurred at a jewelry store in Beloit, Wisconsin, when the store owner tightened a screw on the door of an old safe outfitted with a chemical theft-deterrent device. The device included a metal housing containing a glass vial of liquid, which cracked as the screw tightened, releasing approximately 4 ounces of tear gas. The store owner sustained eye and skin irritation and was treated at a hospital and released. Twelve persons in the building and persons in adjacent businesses were evacuated for 3 hours while a certified Level A HazMat team*, city firefighters, and emergency medical technicians responded to the release. This report summarizes the response to this event and underscores the need for persons who use old safes and vaults to know how to identify these devices and avoid tampering with them.

Beginning in the 1920s, certain safes and vaults included (or were fitted with) theft-deterrent devices containing chemical vials (Figure). Chloropicrin† was used commonly in these devices. Other tear gas agents reportedly were used in similar theft-deterrent devices. The metal casing of these devices usually is approximately 3 inches wide and 6--8 inches tall; the device is fastened to the back of a safe door with screws. A major manufacturer of these devices was located in Wisconsin during the 1920s--1950s, and other companies sold similar devices. One such device was found in an Iowa bank in 1999 after a vial shattered, releasing chloropicrin and causing a pregnant bank employee to suffer eye, skin, and throat irritation (2). The number of these devices sold or still in circulation is unknown.

Chloropicrin was used as a chemical weapon during World War I (2). Documented symptoms of chloropicrin exposure include 1) irritation of the eyes, skin, and respiratory system; 2) lacrimation (i.e., tearing); 3) cough; 4) pulmonary edema; and 5) nausea and vomiting (1).

The 2003 chloropicrin release was reported to the Hazardous Substances Emergency Events Surveillance (HSEES) system operated by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services. Created and funded by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (3), HSEES is a multistate§ health department surveillance system that tracks morbidity and mortality resulting from events¶ involving the release or potential release of a hazardous substance**. However, because reporting HazMat events to HSEES is not mandatory, participating state health departments might not be informed about every event. In addition, how many chemical releases from theft-deterrent devices occur in nonparticipating states is unknown.

Persons who use or are around older safes and vaults (e.g., bankers, jewelers, locksmiths, and vault technicians) should know how to identify these devices and should avoid tampering with them. If a device is identified, only trained persons (e.g., experienced locksmiths or HazMat personnel) should attempt to remove or neutralize these devices. In addition, appropriate personal protective equipment should be used when attempting to dismantle these devices (4). If the contents of a device are released, the area should be evacuated immediately. Persons who have adverse health effects (e.g., eye, skin, or respiratory irritation) should seek medical attention immediately.

Reported by: J Drew, W Otto, H Nehls-Lowe, MPH, Wisconsin Dept of Health and Family Svcs. DK Horton, MSPH, WE Kaye, PhD, Div of Health Studies, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links