Shooting Through Walls

This is a discussion on Shooting Through Walls within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kccad In the news today was the story of a Kansas City apartment manager who was investigating a noise in the hall ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Through Walls

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by kccad View Post
    In the news today was the story of a Kansas City apartment manager who was investigating a noise in the hall outside his apartment late Thursday night. He was confronted by two persons dressed in black with black masks over their faces.

“Break yourself fool. Back up,” one of them told him. In the Queen's English, I am told this means they wanted to rob him.

The manager shut the door, grabbed a handgun and fired a shot through the wall. One of the suspects fired a shot. He then stepped into the hallway and fired another shot as they ran away.

Your opinions on this incident are welcome.
    I thought that “Break yourself fool. Back up,” had to do with breakdancing; seriously. I guess that I was wrong
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

Don't shoot thru any wall unless it is a necessity to survival.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Always know your target and whats on the other side or back stop. Firing blindly through a door was not good judgment IMHO. You should always know whats beyond you target. He could be in prison for murder, if one of more of those bullets would have entered and killed someone in an apartment.

VIP Member
    The manager shut the door, grabbed a handgun and fired a shot through the wall. One of the suspects fired a shot. He then stepped into the hallway and fired another shot as they ran away.
    As others have said blindly firing through walls is a very bad idea. And shooting at criminals departing the scene could be problematic as well.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Have to say no to this one. Blind firing through a wall or door could lead to an innocent being shot. The shooting at the BG as he is fleeing wont cut it in most courts the threat is gone so no justification.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's a good thing that they were wearing ski-masks to identify themselves as BG's. I wouldn't have had a clue as to what he was saying to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhJDvI3gUO8

1. Refer to above for jive talk...combine with mask over face for threat on life...

2. Do not shoot fleeing dirtbags...it's over.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Don't shoot thru any wall unless it is a necessity to survival.
    +1 That's the way I look at it....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I would agree with shutting the door and taking cover... then call 911, shooting threw walls is good TV stuff, but if you kill someone, or child in the next room/apartment... that will ruin your whole day. If you shut/lock your door, mount yourself behind cover, now your kill zone becomes the width of the doorway which is in your favor and not so good for the bad guys entering a bullet highway.

I'd have failed the whole thing, I thought it was a break dance challenge and there was a film crew hiding behind the other wall. With all the droopy drawers and the mini pearl tags hangin from the flat billed hats I have a hard time figurin' if the masks were some new teen wear.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhJDvI3gUO8

1. Refer to above for jive talk...combine with mask over face for threat on life....
    That goes on my list of some of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a movie. The casting of Mrs. Cleaver/Barbara Billingsley for that scene was a stroke of genius.
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'd have failed the whole thing, I thought it was a break dance challenge and there was a film crew hiding behind the other wall. With all the droopy drawers and the mini pearl tags hangin from the flat billed hats I have a hard time figurin' if the masks were some new teen wear.
    I wonder if we showed them a few episodes of Hee Haw if it would take away the "cool factor"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5ob9B9yD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B27z...eature=related
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

I can fully understand why he did it, but not in an apartment complex. But he was the manager, maybe he knew he would be firing into a vacant apartment across the hall.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    1)Once behind a locked door, your immediate danger is removed from the equation, so, bad shoot.

2)You cannot shoot a fleeing adversary (at least, not in Florida) so, bad second shot.

3)If you cannot see your target, and are not in imminent danger, it is never a good idea to shoot. There is no way to assess collateral tagrets from behind a closed door or a wall.

Close the door, lock it, call 911... if they come through the door, then, do the needful.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'd be more willing to do this in my single family home, more than in an multi dwelling structure.
    I agree.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Once the door was closed the threat was over. No need to fire unless he immediately heard them trying to break down the door. Then fire for effect!
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links