Do you carry in your own back yard?

Do you carry in your own back yard?

This is a discussion on Do you carry in your own back yard? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 97-Year Old Woman Saved From Pitbull Mauling by Her Cat http://technorati.com/ ^ Posted on September 5, 2010 3:30:04 PM EDT by Chet 99 Over at ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry in your own back yard?

Cool Do you carry in your own back yard?

97-Year Old Woman Saved From Pitbull Mauling by Her Cat
    http://technorati.com/ ^
    Posted on September 5, 2010 3:30:04 PM EDT by Chet 99

Over at the best website known to man, Dlisted.com, is a story of Sophie Thomas, a 97-year old woman from Michigan and her cat Tiger.

Sophie was weeding her flower beds, minding her own business and probably aching from arthritis, when along came a gang of vicious pitbulls. The pitbulls, who belonged to her neighbor directly behind her home, surrounded Sophie, scaring the little old lady half to death, one lunged at her and she hit it on the head. That one back off, but others came in closer.

Sophie said she was pretty sure it was the end of her, until her little calico kitty Tiger jumped in front of her, grabbing the snarling, frothing, menacing pitbull gang's attention. Tiger then ran off, with the pitbulls chasing after her, which gave Sophie just enough time to escape inside her home. As she cleaned her bite wounds, she was fraught with concern for her precious savior Tiger. Miraculously, Tiger showed up on her door step a short time later, and they were joyously reunited.

As you might well imagine, the pitbulls' owner is a sophisticated young lady with colorful body art and a million excuses why her murderous dogs got out. Which begs the question? Does anyone who doesn't live in the ghetto or a trailer own a pitbull? Don't hate on me if you own one of these dogs and the above doesn't apply to you, save your hate for all the idiots out there who give your breed of dog such a bad reputation.

ExSoldier's question: Not so much about the kitty who saved her mommy's life, but this begs the question: Do you honestly carry into your back yard when you do work or garden? I don't. But if I knew there were dogs like this nearby and could become a threat to me (say if my back yard wasn't SECURED by a locked wrought iron gate as it is), I sure would. I would also warn my neighbor in a friendly neighborly fashion that if her dogs threaten me and mine, ever.... they are going to be dead dog meat.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Always...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mrm
    By the way yes I do carry in my own back yard and in my house it just goes on in the morning and does not come off until I go to bed no matter what I am doing. Also why is it that you associate trailers with low life people who dont care about anyone else other than themselves that is just as bad as associating all pit bulls as being a bad breed. Some of us wish we could live in a secure area with a large iron gate and all that but that is just not realistic for most people (especially with where the current administration has put the country moneywise). Not trying to hate on you but it sounds really bad the way u put that post
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Firearm, no, folder yes, its almost always with me. Been living here over fifteen years, no screwball neighbors or threatening animals.

Yes--I carry at least a snubbie in a pocket holster when inside, and I don't take it off when I go outside. I always carry the snubbie when I mow the lawn, piddle around in the garage, walk my dog, etc. I don't live in the hood (and don't think I can even see it from here), but we still have the occassional neighborhood e-mail about a stray pit bull running around or a car theft. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Yes, always. My back yard is walled, I live on a cul-de-sac, but... you just never know.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My Attitude is: If your going to carry, carry all the time regardless. If you get caught short don't complain. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Absolutely.

I live in a rural area with little children and livestock to protect. There's a lot of trash people around, who don't care for their dogs; so they roam around looking for an easy meal.

I've got some neighbors who can't afford anything but marijuana and pitbulls; go figure
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Either always carry or never carry

Quote Originally Posted by justjim View Post
    My Attitude is: If your going to carry, carry all the time regardless. If you get caught short don't complain. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    I have a question about this. Since we often hear the analogy of the fire extinguisher used to explain to people why someone would carry a firearm, how does this fit in this scenario? For example, I don't walk around my house at all times with a fire extinguisher in my hand "just in case." I have a few of them around the house and one in my car, ready for quick retrieval in an emergency. I realize the general sentiment, but there are calculated risks we all take. The likelihood of me needing a firearm in my back yard is very low, so I would choose to not carry while mowing my lawn, for example.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Either always carry or never carry
    Why does it have to be all or none? I understand the general idea, but this sort of binary thinking doesn't make sense to me. It makes it simple to say there are only two options, always or never, either good guy or bad guy, etc., but it doesn't take into account the subtlety and variance in life.

Statistically, there are places and times where you are at higher risk than others. Why wouldn't this come into the equation when deciding whether to carry?

What about when you shower? Do you hang your holster on the towel rack so it's within easy reach? You never know when you may have to defend yourself in the shower.

Do you carry in your swimming trunks at the pool? How about if you go water skiing? Do you strap on your holster to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

When does this become a psychiatric issue and not self-defense preparedness?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I live in a subdivision that is bounded by woods. Last year I was working in my yard and just happened to look up as a Red Fox approached me. It took three rounds from a .380 to anchor him to the ground. tests showed he was rabid. With our relative positions my chances of not being bitten before I got to safety would have been no better than 50/50. I am one who carries all the time where possible.

I have my pocket pistol with me always, provided it's legal, I'm carrying.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

In my backyard, it's not just dogs you need to look out for. It's other fury creatures that range from groundhogs to black bears.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

GM
    If it is legal I always carry.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links