New puppy for home security.

This is a discussion on New puppy for home security. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a wonderful dog Lucy - pointer healer mix; rescue dog I just want her barking and alerting. I love and care for her ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New puppy for home security.

TVJ
    We have a wonderful dog Lucy - pointer healer mix; rescue dog

I just want her barking and alerting. I love and care for her way to much for guard dog duty.

For guard duty, I have a totally different mentality with the dog. Less pet, more worker. My favorite option is the Dogo Argentino. Very intelligent and extremely loyal and alpha. 130lbs.

http://www.dogo-argentino.org/

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/dogo.htm
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

2. Remove Ads

I have a 16yr old GSD/Lab mix *****. She's 16 and still in pretty good shape. She's pretty much unbeatable IMHO! I'll be devestated when she's gone. Think her hearing's going now but she's a great ole gal. Excellent guard but she's never bitten anyone though I'm sure a couple had to change pants!

Her protege is a 4 yr old Labradoodle dog stray that we found. He's great compnaion but not sure he'll ever measure up. Probably buy a GSD when the ole gal croaks.

That Buddy is a handsome lad. I'm sure he'll turn out near-perfect. Start training now. Wish I'd keep working Dakota and spent more time working the pup.

2 dogs in the house are great. If you're feeling really brave, throw a cat into the mix!!

Stay safe.
    Bob

Looks like he'll lick their ankles to death, until they pass out from the weight of slobber. That is, until he grows a bit. He's got that "big dog" type look to him, doesn't he?, as if he's got big shoes to grow into.

Quote Originally Posted by B94 View Post
    Buddy should weigh 60 to 80 pounds full grown.
    Sounds about right. I'm sure he'll have just the right sort of deep voice that intruders hate. Woooof. Grrr-r-rr-r-rrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    A healer/rescue combination is a great mix. That's a neat trick. I'm sure Lucy's wonderful.

But then, the Dogo Argie's are great, too. The term "Purpose-built" comes to mind, every time I see one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post

I just want her barking and alerting. I love and care for her way to much for guard dog duty.

For guard duty, I have a totally different mentality with the dog. Less pet, more worker. My favorite option is the Dogo Argentino. Very intelligent and extremely loyal and alpha. 130lbs.

http://www.dogo-argentino.org/

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/dogo.htm
    Right on the money about the mentality differences. I have a guard dog and a fun dog, they are buddies and keep each other company when I'm at work, but one will bring the bad guy a ball to throw, the other will tell him where to go. Both of them are mutts with kinda interesting histories, but neither are from shelters.

Most dogs bark though, and all I really expect from them is a little warning time. The only thing I would worry about for the OP is that you have two VERY young dogs. Most breeders don't recommend training a second puppy until the first one is near 2 years old. Need to give him a little more time to bond to you, get his training in with YOU and not another dog to distract him, and get a little bit of maturity in before you bring another baby in for training. I highly suggest you take them on a lot of walks separately, instead of both dogs together.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by B94 View Post
    I believe that his brothers and sisters are all taken but here is a link to the place I found Buddy -

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

They also had some German Sheperd/Lab mix that looked good. You might check them out.
    Thanks anyway.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Good on you for rescuing a pup. Every dog I have ever had has been a shelter dog, and they have all been great.

My current dog is some sort of GSD/Husky/Akita/Cattledog mix of some sort. He has turned into a GREAT guard dog. He definitely lets me know when there is someone on the other side of my apartment door.

This is how he spends most of his time... seriously:

Hes the best dog I have ever had.
    We took him from the shelter when he was only 5 weeks. There was only one littermate left, and mom was not there, so I had to take him.
    Day we picked him up:

Congrats on the new pup and especially on your pup being a rescue. I have two rescues one a mutt and one a "purebred" and they are the best security you can ever ask for. If someone chooses to break into my house they will have a 100lb Red Doberman and an 85lb Rottweiler mix on their case. They would give me plenty of time to put my LCP into use or go get my .45 or Remington 870 Magnum.

The shepherd mix mutts I've owned have all been great guard dogs. They all understood that some things aren't scary and should be ignored, and some things require the human to get out of bed and investigate. And somehow, they never got it too far wrong. Would rather die than hurt a young child, but would also rather die than let another dog hurt a small child - or anyone in their family. Great dogs. Hope it goes well.

My shepard/border collie mix. He is 12 and is still going strong. Looks like you made a good choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links