Defensive Carry banner

New puppy for home security.

2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Harryball 
#1 ·
I’ve read a lot of threads saying to have a dog for home security. My stepson has a beagle/Dachshund mix named BO that is about 10 months old. Well today I bought another puppy for myself and my wife and for a playmate for BO. His name is Buddy and he is 9 weeks old and a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. We bought both of these dogs from animal shelters. I believe Buddy should weigh 60 to 80 pounds full grown. What do you think of this mix? I don’t expect Buddy to be a guard dog but just a pet that will bark if someone is on the prowl and wake me up and or give me some time to defend my family. 60 to 80 pounds of German Shepherd/Golden Retriever bark might detour some bad guys. It’s been awhile since I had any dogs but they truly are mans best friend. My avatar picture is BO when we first got him and below is a picture of Buddy taken from the pet adoption place on the internet.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
His name is Buddy and he is 9 weeks old and a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. We bought both of these dogs from animal shelters. I believe Buddy should weigh 60 to 80 pounds full grown. What do you think of this mix? I don’t expect Buddy to be a guard dog but just a pet that will bark if someone is on the prowl and wake me up and or give me some time to defend my family.
Golden's and GS's... are both known for protective instincts , especially protecting their familiy. If SHTF , I'ld expect that he'll be in the fight before you are. Both breeds are easily trained and intelligent.

Congrats on the pup..... train early. Since you are IN KANSAS, any sister / brothers left... I've been wanting a bigger dog.

My daughter moved out with her White German Shephard that I loved, and then a few months ago she died of old age. I sure miss that dog. She was also very protective.... and loved to open doors. When my daughter thought she could keep her in 'one area' by closing a door, the dog would get her mouth on the handle and twist it until it came open. She was determined to be wherever you were. When my daughter lodged something against the door so she couldn't open it, she chewed thru the door. LMAO. Dog won that debate.

#6 ·
Yes....indeed. Congratulations on the new puppy!
Home security? That remains to be seen.............Buddy does have that tactical look about him while at the same time being cute (all puppies are cute....just like kids).
I'd like to commend you on the name for the dog. Buddy is a good name. That was my German Shepherd's name. Long story, but I now have two of the best dogs I could ever want......Rascal and Koda.

#7 · (Edited)
Congrats on the new canine...your home should be a bit safer, in about a year!:hand10:
He's a cute little guy.:yup:

#8 ·
Buddy looks to be a good one. I have owned Shepherd mix dogs for many years, and have always had exceptional results from them.... both healthy and smart. I don't want an attack dog, either... just let him bark and you'll have a great early warning system...... like Luka.... 16 months, and 82 pounds.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

#10 ·
Rescues and shelter dogs are the way to go unless you plan on breeding the good puppy dog.

Here's my rescue GSD at 2.5 yrs old enjoying his "Tacticool" cooling device:

#14 ·
While I would really like for folks to take rescue or shelter dogs, I have not had good luck with them. Usually, by the time I find the dog it has been traumatized by its idiot previous owner, the animal control officer, a couple of days of wandering around without food and maybe little water, the noisy - smelly environment of the shelter, the repeated handling by potential adopters, and often by a required spay or neuter. One shelter dog I got wouldn't eat for several days except to be hand fed in tiny amounts. She never bonded and though I had her for 7 years, she just wouldn't get close emotionally. Another had something wrong with her and had to go back (no doubt for euthanasia) 4 weeks later.

The best dogs I have had were older dogs that had a home and the owner put an add asking to sell the dog. My all time favorite dog just took one look at us, jumped in the car, and never gave his prior owner another thought. One of my present dogs was also acquired from someone who realized she was just too busy to properly care for the dog and ran an add in the paper. At least the dog was never neglected and treated badly.

I once found a sick German Shepard on the side of the road and took it home hoping to nurse it and get medical care for it. That dog would have turned out great and wonderful but Mrs H didn't want it ---so off to the "shelter" it went. Poor thing.

Maybe its just our shelter. It is really badly overcrowded, and they charge way too much for a place that should be looking to give dogs away--also they put too many "demands" on the new owner. Sign this, swear that, do this do that under penalty of one kind or another. Who needs that kind of treatment. Our city and county just don't want to coordinate and spend some bucks to make the place really good. Turns my stomach.

#11 ·
I have a German Shephard Golden mix and she is the best guard dog I've ever had. She's sweet and loving with kids, but as my father said when he came over unannounced and tried to walk in the back gate, nobody's coming in this house that she doesn't want here.

#13 ·
Good choice. Looks cute yet fierce. We have a German Shepherd and I don't doubt for one second that she would put her life on the line for my wife and I. I would not want to be on the receiving end of her bite! She hasn't eaten anyone yet, just licks them to death so far. I think you made a fine choice!

#16 ·
We have a wonderful dog Lucy - pointer healer mix; rescue dog

I just want her barking and alerting. I love and care for her way to much for guard dog duty.

For guard duty, I have a totally different mentality with the dog. Less pet, more worker. My favorite option is the Dogo Argentino. Very intelligent and extremely loyal and alpha. 130lbs.

http://www.dogo-argentino.org/

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/dogo.htm

#19 ·
Right on the money about the mentality differences. I have a guard dog and a fun dog, they are buddies and keep each other company when I'm at work, but one will bring the bad guy a ball to throw, the other will tell him where to go. Both of them are mutts with kinda interesting histories, but neither are from shelters.

Most dogs bark though, and all I really expect from them is a little warning time. The only thing I would worry about for the OP is that you have two VERY young dogs. Most breeders don't recommend training a second puppy until the first one is near 2 years old. Need to give him a little more time to bond to you, get his training in with YOU and not another dog to distract him, and get a little bit of maturity in before you bring another baby in for training. I highly suggest you take them on a lot of walks separately, instead of both dogs together.

#17 ·
I have a 16yr old GSD/Lab mix *****. She's 16 and still in pretty good shape. She's pretty much unbeatable IMHO! I'll be devestated when she's gone. Think her hearing's going now but she's a great ole gal. Excellent guard but she's never bitten anyone though I'm sure a couple had to change pants!

Her protege is a 4 yr old Labradoodle dog stray that we found. He's great compnaion but not sure he'll ever measure up. Probably buy a GSD when the ole gal croaks.

That Buddy is a handsome lad. I'm sure he'll turn out near-perfect. Start training now. Wish I'd keep working Dakota and spent more time working the pup.

2 dogs in the house are great. If you're feeling really brave, throw a cat into the mix!!

Stay safe.
Bob

#18 ·
Looks like he'll lick their ankles to death, until they pass out from the weight of slobber. That is, until he grows a bit. He's got that "big dog" type look to him, doesn't he?, as if he's got big shoes to grow into.

Buddy should weigh 60 to 80 pounds full grown.
Sounds about right. I'm sure he'll have just the right sort of deep voice that intruders hate. Woooof. Grrr-r-rr-r-rrrrrrr.

We have a wonderful dog Lucy - pointer healer mix; rescue dog
A healer/rescue combination is a great mix. That's a neat trick. :tongue: I'm sure Lucy's wonderful.

But then, the Dogo Argie's are great, too. The term "Purpose-built" comes to mind, every time I see one.

#21 ·
Good on you for rescuing a pup. Every dog I have ever had has been a shelter dog, and they have all been great.

My current dog is some sort of GSD/Husky/Akita/Cattledog mix of some sort. He has turned into a GREAT guard dog. He definitely lets me know when there is someone on the other side of my apartment door.

This is how he spends most of his time... seriously:

Hes the best dog I have ever had.
We took him from the shelter when he was only 5 weeks. There was only one littermate left, and mom was not there, so I had to take him.
Day we picked him up:

#22 ·
Congrats on the new pup and especially on your pup being a rescue. I have two rescues one a mutt and one a "purebred" and they are the best security you can ever ask for. If someone chooses to break into my house they will have a 100lb Red Doberman and an 85lb Rottweiler mix on their case. They would give me plenty of time to put my LCP into use or go get my .45 or Remington 870 Magnum.

#23 ·
The shepherd mix mutts I've owned have all been great guard dogs. They all understood that some things aren't scary and should be ignored, and some things require the human to get out of bed and investigate. And somehow, they never got it too far wrong. Would rather die than hurt a young child, but would also rather die than let another dog hurt a small child - or anyone in their family. Great dogs. Hope it goes well.

#24 ·
My shepard/border collie mix. He is 12 and is still going strong. Looks like you made a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.